SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the Volvo Factory Warranty specifically for the T8? I have looked everywhere, and nothing specifically states what it is for the T8. Most manufacturers extent the warranty for battery packs and hybrid units. When we looked around, the Toyota Highlander had an extended warranty for the hybrid version. Tesla has a long warranty for the motor/battery unit (8 years, unlimited warranty for the 85 versions). Has anyone seen, and can post or refer to the Volvo OEM warranty for the T8 version?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Has anyone seen the Volvo Factory Warranty specifically for the T8? I have looked everywhere, and nothing specifically states what it is for the T8. Most manufacturers extent the warranty for battery packs and hybrid units. When we looked around, the Toyota Highlander had an extended warranty for the hybrid version. Tesla has a long warranty for the motor/battery unit (8 years, unlimited warranty for the 85 versions). Has anyone seen, and can post or refer to the Volvo OEM warranty for the T8 version?
normal 4yr 50k for everything but battery. Battery by law in NJ(cali regulations) is 10 yr, 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
normal 4yr 50k for everything but battery. Battery by law in NJ(cali regulations) is 10 yr, 150,000 miles.
Can you point out to where that is? I have read that the low emissions warranty is extended in some states, but if I remember correctly, is does not specifically mention the T8, nor the battery pack, nor the electric motors, etc.

I just went through the warranty book (here: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2016-Volvo-Warranty-Manual-v1.pdf ), and it does not mention anything about the T8, nor any extra warranty.

Also, no mention is made in the owner's manual for any difference in the T8 warranty (in fact, very little is mentioned except to look at the warranty book - p 496) here: http://esd.volvocars.com/local/us/2016-Volvo-XC90-Owners-Manual-v2.pdf

If in fact VOLVO does not offer additional warranty on the battery/hybrid components I find that somewhat disappointing especially as VOLVO it touting itself as trying to move upscale. Even Toyota supports their battery/hybrid systems with extended time/mileage warranties.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just spoke with Volvo via CHAT. Evidently, everything is so new that they do not have any additional information (if there is any) available other than the battery pack warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles. Here is the discussion:

Volvo (V): How may I help you?
me: Hello.
V: Hi
me: I have an XC90 T8 on order. Most manufacturers offer a longer warranty on the battery/hybrid components on their electric and hybrid vehicles above that of the standard 4yr/50k mile warranty. What is Volvo's warranty on the battery and hybrid components on the T8? I have looked at the owner's manual on line as well as the warranty information on 2016 models, and the T8 is not mentioned.
V: That is great news! The warranty on the battery is 8 years/100,000 miles
me: Is there any extended warranty on the remaining Hybrid components, such as that similar to Toyota and other manufacturers?
V: If you live in a state that has a PZEV warranty the warranty is 10 years/150,000 miles. I am not sure on that, we have not rcive any additional information. I will have to research and get back to you.
V: received*
me: PZEV - what other than emissions components that I have read about in the warranty manual are covered.
V: I am not sure I understand your question
me: In the warranty manual, under specific states, it says the PZEV vehicles have their emissions controls covered for a longer period of time. Other than emissions controls, what is covered.
V: I do not have that information for T8 yet. I will have to research it and get back you
me: Thanks. Our T8 is built and awaiting pickup in Gothenburg
V: That is great news!
me: We also own a TESLA, and the warranty is 8 years, unlimited miles on the motor and battery pack.
V: I will certainly look into the covered components in addition to the battery
me: Before purchasing the XC90, we also looked into the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which also has an extended warranty for components of the hybrid powertrain and battery.
V: I understand
me: Thanks - I look forward to hearing back from you. Will you email me the information?
V: Yes, absolutely! As soon as I hear back from our Warranty Department
me: Thanks. Please email me the information, and a link to the documentation, to my email address
V: I probably won;t have a link for you since it is not on our website but I will email you
me: As with many things, I think everything is so new on the T8 that the information is not out there as of yet. I appreciate you finding out and letting me know.
me: I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and Holidays!
V: It is my pleasure! And thank you so much! I wish the same for you!

If I receive any more information, I will post it here. Again, as with many things with the T8, I think everything is so new that they are just figuring it out or still getting the documentation for North America out to consumers.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
If in fact VOLVO does not offer additional warranty on the battery/hybrid components I find that somewhat disappointing especially as VOLVO it touting itself as trying to move upscale. Even Toyota supports their battery/hybrid systems with extended time/mileage warranties.
10 years/150,000 miles, on the battery.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
A very good question! Volvo have been remarkably mysterious about this worldwide, with absolutely NO hint about a special hybrid battery warranty in all the hundreds of links and articles I've read about the T8, EXCEPT GV's comment here and once before elsewhere in this forum. Thanks to GV.

So I'll have to confirm the situation in Ireland eventually. Meanwhile I take it the electric motors and power electronics are covered only by the ordinary warranty, which is three years here in Ireland, and four (I think) in the USA. No doubt any Swedespeeders who own T8s can confirm whatever the details of warranty they have.

GV, do you know whether there is a battery capacity limit below which the warranty is invoked, and what it is? Some hybrid warranties call for the battery to be replaced if its capacity falls below say 70% or 80% of normal. Meaning a hybrid's electric range could fall substantially before the battery is replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, because the lady at Volvo quoted 8 years/100,000 miles.

I would still love to see something in writing someplace.....

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
GV, do you know whether there is a battery capacity limit below which the warranty is invoked, and what it is? Some hybrid warranties call for the battery to be replaced if its capacity falls below say 70% or 80% of normal. Meaning a hybrid's electric range could fall substantially before the battery is replaced under warranty.
I do not have any information, on this, yet.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

That is the warranty on any state that does not have the same emission requirements as California, NY, PA, etc (the CA Emission Standards states). The warranty for those states will be 10 years or 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is the warranty on any state that does not have the same emission requirements as California, NY, PA, etc (the CA Emission Standards states). The warranty for those states will be 10 years or 150,000 miles.
Thanks. I reread the factory warranty, and all it was talking about was the emissions equipment (such as catalytic converter, etc). Interesting that it includes the battery. Great to know! Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Thanks. I reread the factory warranty, and all it was talking about was the emissions equipment (such as catalytic converter, etc). Interesting that it includes the battery. Great to know! Thanks again.
No worries, any time.

·
Registered
602 Posts

I would look up the laws in each state first. Most likely the person does not know the specific information from state to state on the T8.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I would look up the laws in each state first. Most likely the person does not know the specific information from state to state on the T8.
States cannot impose federal emission standards. There are two sets of standards: 1. California mandated standards and 2. the rest (minimum federal requirements).

The federal requirement, for a hybrid battery warranty, is 8 yrs /100,000 miles. California demands 10 yrs / 150,000 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts