SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Volvo XC60 with the original towing hitch has a larger cooler and a bigger (faster) radiator fan ( or additional cooler). I know that BMW and Audi have it
I ask because my friend need over the Alps from Germany to Italy to drive the boat on the trailer

I do not understand why Volvo designers dropped car engine temperature gauge on the driver's display.
On the 12.3 inches more expensive model it is missing but on cheaper 8 inches model exists.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Does anyone know if the Volvo XC60 with the original towing hitch has a larger cooler and a bigger (faster) radiator fan ( or additional cooler). I know that BMW and Audi have it
I ask because my friend need over the Alps from Germany to Italy to drive the boat on the trailer

I do not understand why Volvo designers dropped car engine temperature gauge on the driver's display.
On the 12.3 inches more expensive model it is missing but on cheaper 8 inches model exists.
The tow hitch installation does not provide any alterations to the transmission and/or radiator.

The car is rated to tow 5,000 lbs (6,000 lbs in Europe) as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The tow hitch installation does not provide any alterations to the transmission and/or radiator.

The car is rated to tow 5,000 lbs (6,000 lbs in Europe) as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information, although it's a bit strange to me

The car is rated to tow 2300kg ( 5,000 lbs ) except T8 is rated 2100kg ( 4,600 lbs )
https://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/new-models/xc60/specifications/engines

Very strange, this is from the XC60's Owner's manual for the US market

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2019/XC60_OwnersManual_MY19_en-US_TP25629.pdf
page 654

And on the UK market it is 2,400kg :whistle:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/suppor...-and-weights/towing-capacity-and-towball-load

I think Volvo has technical data problems, each market has different data

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just found it in the user manual. The 2018 XC60 is rated at 3500 lbs with trailer brakes. All engine versions.
The 2019 is also rated the same.
It's on page 636 of the 2018 user manual and page 654 of the 2019 manual.

(edit: did big bang just add that photo cause now I am just repeating other people)

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the information, although it's a bit strange to me

The car is rated to tow 2300kg ( 5,000 lbs ) except T8 is rated 2100kg ( 4,600 lbs )
https://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/new-models/xc60/specifications/engines

Very strange, this is from the XC60's Owner's manual for the US market

https://volvornt.harte-hanks.com/manuals/2019/XC60_OwnersManual_MY19_en-US_TP25629.pdf
page 654
If this is true its cause the T8 weighs more than the T5/T6 so probably some overall limit. But don't believe the XC60 has a tow rating this high at all.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If this is true its cause the T8 weighs more than the T5/T6 so probably some overall limit. But don't believe the XC60 has a tow rating this high at all.
These are data from the official Volvo website, they are not my or not from a magazine
The big problem for Volvo is the difference in data for different markets: 3500lbs - 5300 lbs Towing Capacity. The difference of 1800lbs is incredible for the same car

·
Registered
142 Posts
This may not be relevant but interesting.
On my 2014 Audi Q5 the official factory towing system integrated into the engine management and the stability system to improve towing performance. Even the official factory roof rack interfaced with the vehicle stability system. I wonder if Volvo quietly does the same thing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This may not be relevant but interesting.
On my 2014 Audi Q5 the official factory towing system integrated into the engine management and the stability system to improve towing performance. Even the official factory roof rack interfaced with the vehicle stability system. I wonder if Volvo quietly does the same thing?

Not only that.
If you have a factory tow bar, Audi has an extra cooler, bigger and stronger fan on the cooler
There are also diferent springs and shock absorber on rear

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you have the factory tow package then it includes not only the wire harness for 4 and 7 connections but a module that interfaces with the driving system. When you are towing a vehicle and the trailer starts to sway back and forth the car will sense this and apply braking to bring the car into control. My understanding is that it can brake the wheels independently. If you car is also optioned with the air suspension it will adjust accordingly for towing. There may also be some additional things that happen though I am not aware.

How TSA works
Once swaying has begun, it can be very difficult
to stop, which makes it difficult to control the
vehicle and trailer.
The TSA system continuously monitors the vehicle's
movements, particularly lateral movement. If
the system detects a tendency to sway, the
brakes are applied individually on the front
wheels, which has a stabilizing effect on the vehicle
and trailer. This is often enough to enable the
driver to regain control of the vehicle.
If this is not adequate to stop the swaying motion,
the brakes are applied to all of the wheels on the
vehicle and on the trailer if it is equipped with
brakes, and engine power is temporarily reduced.
As the swaying motion begins to decrease and
the vehicle-trailer have once again become stable,
TSA will now stop regulating the brakes/
engine power and the driver regains control of
the vehicle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not only that.
If you have a factory tow bar, Audi has an extra cooler, bigger and stronger fan on the cooler
There are also diferent springs and shock absorber on rear
I didn’t know about the cooler but IIRC the factory system cost CDN$1200. Which I guess sent many people of for something cheaper. I never have nor never will tow anything

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I didn’t know about the cooler but IIRC the factory system cost CDN$1200. Which I guess sent many people of for something cheaper. I never have nor never will tow anything

A lot of people do not know that, everyone thinks it's just a tow hook but it's actually a lot more

·
Registered
9 Posts
These are data from the official Volvo website, they are not my or not from a magazine
The big problem for Volvo is the difference in data for different markets: 3500lbs - 5300 lbs Towing Capacity. The difference of 1800lbs is incredible for the same car
There is no difference, it is just a matter of regulation/precedent. Realistically the critical load for the car is the pressure on the hitch, ie the tongue loading. I would imagine the European and N.American versions actually have very similar capacity on the hitch (Europeans get the fancy folding hitch on the XC60 like the V90CC in N.America). In N.America a greater percentage of the weight of the trailer is carried on the tongue/hitch. The N.American way is much more stable, but, it reduces the overall amount that can be towed. In Europe you are restricted to 100kph/60mph when towing, because of the less stable weight distribution in the trailer.

There is nothing to stop you safely hauling a 5000 pound trailer with an N.American XC60, assuming you balance the load to not exceed the maximum tongue weight, but then you have to recognise the trailer will be more prone to swaying, so have to drive slower. That distribution could be difficult to achieve N.American trailers have their axles more rearward, European trailers the axles are more centred.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
There is no difference, it is just a matter of regulation/precedent. Realistically the critical load for the car is the pressure on the hitch, ie the tongue loading. I would imagine the European and N.American versions actually have very similar capacity on the hitch (Europeans get the fancy folding hitch on the XC60 like the V90CC in N.America). In N.America a greater percentage of the weight of the trailer is carried on the tongue/hitch. The N.American way is much more stable, but, it reduces the overall amount that can be towed. In Europe you are restricted to 100kph/60mph when towing, because of the less stable weight distribution in the trailer.

There is nothing to stop you safely hauling a 5000 pound trailer with an N.American XC60, assuming you balance the load to not exceed the maximum tongue weight, but then you have to recognise the trailer will be more prone to swaying, so have to drive slower. That distribution could be difficult to achieve N.American trailers have their axles more rearward, European trailers the axles are more centred.
Interestingly, it only applies to Volvo, not to other manufacturers (Audi Q5 USA 4400lbs, WS Audi EU, Au 2000kg , BMW X3 USA 4400lbs , BMW EU, Au 2000kg)

Something is wrong with this theory for towing US ws EU

1 - 16 of 16 Posts