SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, new to the forum. Ordered an inscription two days before the US price increase - July 30th. Was supposed to take pickup tomorrow, but the dealer says that they won't honor the price of my signed contract, and because the increase was a "factory increase" I am liable for the new sticker price - about $1,100 more. Has anybody else experienced this? The back of my contract very explicitly states that I am not liable for any manufacturers price increases, i don't get it??

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I ordered for an OSD 2016 delivery back in August knowing I was able to lock in the price.....
Something doesn't sound right here....

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
IMO, sounds like your dealer is just taking advantage and betting you'll pay up before walking away. If you're in the US, post up the name of this unscrupulous dealership.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Do you have any relatives or friends that are attorneys???
It sure sounds like you have a legally binding contract.....(I stayed at Holiday Inn Express recently!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum. Ordered an inscription two days before the price US price increase - July 30th. Was supposed to take pickup tomorrow, but the dealer says that they won't honor the price of my signed contract, the because the increase was a factory increase I am liable for the new sticker price - about $1,100 more. Has anybody else experienced this. The back of my contract very explicitly states that I am not liable for any manufacturers price increases, i don't get it??

The dealership needs to abide by the contract

·
Registered
101 Posts
They have to honor the price. Thats why it's called a contract!

You should call Volvo for the country you are in and complain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we picked up ours they tried to do the same thing to me. First they added it in thinking I wouldn't notice. After I pulled out the signed contract from order date they had to call the sales manager in and he tried to say it was out of their hands too. Told them it was not my problem and they need to honor the signed contract. He saw that I was getting pissed and said he would honor it.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wow.. these dealers need to be put on blast! Horrible!

·
Registered
7 Posts
They tried samething with me. Dealership in houston, texas. I argued it and they backed off. Fight it! I complained to volvo north america about this dealers buisness practice.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Hi all, new to the forum. Ordered an inscription two days before the price US price increase - July 30th. Was supposed to take pickup tomorrow, but the dealer says that they won't honor the price of my signed contract, the because the increase was a factory increase I am liable for the new sticker price - about $1,100 more. Has anybody else experienced this. The back of my contract very explicitly states that I am not liable for any manufacturers price increases, i don't get it??
It was the Volvo retailer's responsibility to lock the price, prior to the deadline. Speak to the General Manager of your retailer and explain how you placed the order prior to the deadline.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What's the name of the dealership? Even with the leverage my dealership had with this hot new car, they still kissed my behind, honored the locked in price, and gave me free stuff. You can threaten to post google review, write on their FB wall, blast their Twitter handle, etc. Or the old fashion negative local news reporting might do the trick. A contract has to be honored, but on the other hand they are probably 100% certain someone else will buy it with the new sticker price in a heartbeat. It's your job to make sure they understand the short term gain of $1,000 would not be worth the long term pain, had they not honor the price.

·
Registered
673 Posts
What a load of crap! I ordered mine before the price increase, and took delivery after the price increase. When I went to sign the papers, the car was priced exactly how it was when I gave my deposit. This is how it should be with any dealership that is on the up and up. These guys are trying to take advantage of you. Did they ever give you a VIN? If not, it's possible that they gave your order away to someone else and are trying to now sell you a different vehicle that was ordered after the price increase. I would raise holy hell if I were you. That is completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They tried samething with me. Dealership in houston, texas. I argued it and they backed off. Fight it! I complained to volvo north america about this dealers buisness practice.
Which dealer? I ran into this issue with Demontrond Volvo. They have the worst customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Sounds like you are getting a lot of good information bluevest55........you could also share you are a member of SS sharing LOTS of information with LOTS of Volvo enthusiasts......

Please let us know how your experience with the dealership goes........

·
Registered
487 Posts
They must honor the original price on your sales sheet:

This is a completely ludicrous and shady sales gimmick. Happened to me, and I half expected it actually, so I went in the day before I took delivery to line EVERYTHING up. Of course the finance guy tried to pull the fast one by using the increased price in his spreadsheet (good cop / bad cop) so my sales guy wasn't implicated. I called him out on it in my meeting, pulled up my sales sheet, and simply asked this question:

"How would VCNA feel about a dealership not honoring a previously agreed-to price signed off on by the manager, on day of delivery?" PROBLEM SOLVED IMMEDIATELY.

This is a deceptive sales tactic and it almost ruined my deal (just the thought of the finance guy sliding it in was very shady and off-putting when buying at this price point). However, I took action and I fixed it and I ended up getting a very fair deal. I did however provide feedback regarding this experience to VCNA in my follow up survey post-purchase. There is no excuse for it, it cheapens the brand, it will tarnish the reputation of the dealer and the corporation, and it won't allow Volvo to go up market.

You know why they do idiotic stuff like this? Because they can get away with it 90% of the time! My bet is that most people that buy a Volvo are not as informed as the group on this forum, and that many people are easily confused by the entire process of buying and simply take what they are given day of delivery. They are at a moment of weakness because they are excited to buy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
agreed. We ordered same time as OP and our dealer honored their price. Talk to the sales manager or owner and if that doesn't work contact VCNA and put the word out and blacklist the dealer. If worse comes to worse, find another reputable dealer or see if there is inventory in stock somewhere you might be able to get some discount. This and other reasons I make sure I get everything in writing and I finance outside of the dealership as I can get a better rate unless it is 0%. I don't like their tactics and their non-sense of trying to sell you addt'l warranty and GAP insurance, etc. This is where they rob you blind and get you into things you don't necessarily need.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Typical dealer BS. Do not walk walk away from your purchase! There is a legal contract between you and the dealer, and they must honor it. If they say they won't, tell them very clearly you will take them to court and sue. Breach of contract is very serious business. The judge when deciding in your favor would also most likely award you punitive damages. [ Extra money ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Hi all thanks for all the comments. After a couple emails and a phone call with the manager he is "going to honor" our contract price, as though that's a big favor. Unbelievable that they try this stuff, do people really just fall for it?
But completely new wrinkle!! they ordered the wrong color interior for me, unbelievable right? I was fairly hands off about the waiting "process" but it was impossible to get any info out of the original salesman I dealt with. I should mention he's "no longer with the dealer" so if there was a systematic issue it has been resolved.

Long story short they have in stock and unallocated my original intended specs: magic blue inscription w/ Vision, BLOND INTERIOR and Convenience but with the additional options of Climate/HUD and B&W sound system. I don't understand why it was unallocated something about they are a co-op dealer so the factory just sends them cars - and particularly fairly loaded cars as this one more or less is.
They are selling the new car to me for my contract price(the pre-hike price) plus the cost of the B&W, throwing in some more goodies(I assume rubber floor mats cargo mat etc.) and giving me the climate/hud for free. So current sticker is I think a little over 65k, i'm getting in for 62k even. Seem like an OK compromise?

I think i'll keep the dealer to myself for the time being, they ultimately righted their wrong on the contract ridiculousness, they were very apologetic and compromising on the order issue(like I said the salesman who made the mistake is gone)and I think are doing me right on the final solution?
Between both issues I've now thought twice about walking away but there's no upside.I'll end up paying the new higher price to start the process over and my X3 trade-in will only depreciate in the interim.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts