1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Those lucky Europeans have a bunch of wheel designs -- for example https://www.volvocars.com/hk/build/suv/xc40/momentum/t4-automatic/personalize/wheels?s=2R8QN3V -- which aren't available in the US. I'm doing a factory order, and my dealer says I'm out-of-luck. Has anyone else been able to factory order for US delivery (not OSD), with non-US wheels? Was there a trick your dealer used? Yes, I know they can be ordered after-market, but that isn't my question.
Of all our Volvo's we've done several factory direct orders as well as two OSD orders. *On two of the factory direct orders I specifically asked for a different set of wheels which were available on the Swedish Volvo website. I even agreed to pay more if there was a cost difference. *They were exactly the same size just a different design. *I was flatly told NO! *On one occasion I asked them to escalate to NA Volvo. *They said they did but the reply was NO NO NO! *So I think we're out of luck in this endeavor. I wish Volvo would give the US more wheel design options (not just sizes). *I have no use for 21" or 22" wheels....but I know they are very popular.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I wonder certified government testing is needed to allow their use.
Yes. The homologation process requires a fixed design for approval. If a car manufacturer is caught shipping unapproved designs, major fines result. Look it up on the web. You may think it is a minor change, but wheels might make a huge difference. In fact, any change is not allowed.

It is quite another thing to buy and install after market. Then it is the buyer making the change.

·
Registered
337 Posts
At one time, if you did OSD European delivery, you had more choices for paint colors than the standard basic USA paint colors. I think that was the case for the XC60.

·
Registered
695 Posts
At one time, if you did OSD European delivery, you had more choices for paint colors than the standard basic USA paint colors. I think that was the case for the XC60.
Yes. In my two OSDs since 2004, I always made sure to order a color that was not generally available in the USA that year. For example, Electric Silver was available for XC60 RD OSD in 2012 and was then made available to USA deliveries in 2013. The silver selection in 2004 was different, but my memory fails me.

Thank goodness paint color is not part of the homologation process.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts