SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2007 S80 that I'm debating doing some facelift upgrades to. I'm a bit torn on what I should and shouldn't do however since I feel some mods are so common and that it'd be nice to keep some stuff stock. On the other hand, some other things are really growing on me.

The bits I'm most interested in are the 2014+ LED tail lights and probably the new grille with the larger Volvo logo. Also kind of debating the new wider Volvo text on the trunk which looks more modern while the old one looks a tad more restrained and sort of balanced.

What I'm the most torn about is the 2014+ rear bumper. The current one feels pretty angular and boring, especially compared to the facelift one. Not sure if it'd make for a weird combo to install the facelift rear bumper and pair it with the old front+new grill.

A small part of me wants to go all-in and just do all the mods but on the other hand I had a difficult enough time convincing myself that the fog light chrome strips were a good decision. Looked newer but less balanced. Or maybe just some bits? I'm also debating the executive chrome trims below the doors but not sure if that'd make for too much chrome.

This is what the MY14 bumper looks like:

Car (clickable for hi-res):

Registered
Which color do you have?

I have a black metallic 2007 and the chrome door trim really lightened it up! as did the fog light chrome strips. Go for them and the new rear emblem at least :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The color's called Oyster Grey and I'd almost call it boring, depending on the car. In my case I've grown to like it and I think the chrome details pair well with it but I'm worried too much would be overdoing it. Same goes for the new grille. The original executive spec cars had the old grille but the new chrome strips both fog light covers and door trim ones. But then again, it might look more modern.

Another thing keeping me a bit conservative is the fact that I think oyster grey was discontinued sort of early, around 2009-2010 sometime. So part of me feels like it feels more at home in that styling whereas I'm tempted to swap the grill for the more modern look. I think I'll have to resort to look at more pictures of S80's and compare a bit more...

Registered
Your car looks just like mine except I have Zubra wheels - would like to get Balius though.

The Oyster Gray also grew on me. I love it on the car.

The new Volvo logo is beefier and more modern, as you said. I kind of like the more classic logo overall, but if you were switching out the bumper, might as well make the change. I like the newer bumper.

Not sure about the chrome door trim, especially since you have the chrome wheels.

My 2 cents for what its worth. :)

Also, your car looks great!

Registered
The color's called Oyster Grey and I'd almost call it boring, depending on the car. In my case I've grown to like it and I think the chrome details pair well with it but I'm worried too much would be overdoing it. Same goes for the new grille. The original executive spec cars had the old grille but the new chrome strips both fog light covers and door trim ones. But then again, it might look more modern.

Another thing keeping me a bit conservative is the fact that I think oyster grey was discontinued sort of early, around 2009-2010 sometime. So part of me feels like it feels more at home in that styling whereas I'm tempted to swap the grill for the more modern look. I think I'll have to resort to look at more pictures of S80's and compare a bit more...
I have Oyster Grey in a 2010 T6. Dealer likes to call it "tan" on service write-ups. Imaginative color naming for sure but then I'm not especially familiar with color of oysters. Would not have been my first choice but I've grown to like it. For sure it hides dust and dirt.

Registered
No, the chrome trim doesn't make it look over-styled. My car just looks so much better with it!

But the best improvements really came from the fog light trims and the new wider V O L V O emblem on the trunk, it's a must! :)

Registered
I've got the Oyster Grey and i'm in the same boat as you! I want to facelift/add-options, but i'm not too sure what's worth doing!

One thing I DO want to do is the illuminated door handles. I bought some 3mm flat head LED's from ebay for $3 and I'll be installing them this weekend. If all goes well, it will be the best $3 mod i've done to date!

Also, some wider oval tips compliment the rear end nicely since the cut-outs are nice and wide

I've done every upgrade to mine except for the bumpers. Aside from those, everything on my car is the 2014 style. I'm still unsure if I want to change the bumpers. I don't know that the rear bumper design is different enough to warrant the expense, and the I'm not sure if I like the new style front bumper better. Near the top of the S80 forum, I've made a how-to thread for doing most of these upgrades. There are some great interior upgrades too like the 2013 shifter and executive components.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
itwontstopsnowin: I think black is more of a time-less color, especially since it was available on both the earliest as well as the latest S80 II's. So which ever retrofits or what ever you throw at a black S80 will look good (chrome trim on a black car is definitely a nicer contrast than on my oyster grey). As for the bumpers, I guess I agree that the cost probably wont be justifiable compared to the overall small difference it'd make.

As for my car, as much as I'd like to install the chrome door trims I think I'll hold off on that until I either swap out the venators (probably wont) or someone show me their oyster grey car and convince me it's worth doing. The thing I'm the least torn about is a grille swap or possibly swapping the mirrors for the 2012+ LED indicator versions. Though the latter is a bit tricky and involves software and what not. Also requires getting the right mirror and last but not least it's a bit pricey. If I get the 2014+ LED tail lights I might "have" to go for the new badge but until then we'll see.

itwontstopsnowin: I think black is more of a time-less color, especially since it was available on both the earliest as well as the latest S80 II's. So which ever retrofits or what ever you throw at a black S80 will look good (chrome trim on a black car is definitely a nicer contrast than on my oyster grey). As for the bumpers, I guess I agree that the cost probably wont be justifiable compared to the overall small difference it'd make.

As for my car, as much as I'd like to install the chrome door trims I think I'll hold off on that until I either swap out the venators (probably wont) or someone show me their oyster grey car and convince me it's worth doing. The thing I'm the least torn about is a grille swap or possibly swapping the mirrors for the 2012+ LED indicator versions. Though the latter is a bit tricky and involves software and what not. Also requires getting the right mirror and last but not least it's a bit pricey. If I get the 2014+ LED tail lights I might "have" to go for the new badge but until then we'll see.
My car originally came with Chrome Venators and i loved the way they looked on the car, even though I usually hate chrome wheels. Once the 19" Bors came out and I found a great deal on them, I decided to go that directly. I found that the Venators bent really easily. I believe I have somewhere around 14 bent venators in my attic from potholes in the winter, yet I haven't had any issues since I've switched to the Bors which are an even larger diameter. My car is actually Ember black which was introduced, I believe, in 2007 as one of the launch colors for the new S80. In the pictures shown, it's hard to tell, but it's more of a very dark heavily metallic brown. They do still offer it on all of the new Volvos. It's a stunning color. Even at the Volvo owners open house at VCNA, I had people asking me if it was a custom paint job. Here's a picture showing how it looks in direct light up close. If you had asked me before I bought this car if I would ever buy a black car, or a car with chrome wheels, I'd say over my dead body. But, here it is! These cars are just too good a deal to pass up, especially if you find one which is well optioned.

Registered
S80 is a nice car, very nice. The longer I look at it the nicer it gets. Grows on me... Specially the '14 model...

馃嚦馃嚤 XC70 2011 D5 馃嚦馃嚤

Registered
I have a black-on-black 2013. I have not touched the front (last year with big logo grill before the 2014 facelift), my rear is 2015 with the led tail lights, the fatter chrome trim on the trunk and the chrome strip on the bumper. I think it is a good combo since I am not quite sure about the face lifted front bumper. Mine looks much like itwontstopsnowing's car, other than it has the updated interior and is a 3.2.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually think the 17" regors are pretty nice. Looks great on V70s but on S80s I have to be blunt: they look like cheaper balius rims.

Fin bil iallafall. As much as I do think the dashboard is a lot sleeker without the second screen for the sensus system, I miss having it every day. No bluetooth music streaming, no fuel consumption graphs, no nothing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts