SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Members,

I started to facelift my S40. It's a 2004 model but I liked the 2008- look more. So I went to the junkyard and bought bumpers and the lights.

I bought the following parts:
- Front bumper
- Rear bumper
- Front bumper mounts
- Rear bumper mounts
- Headlights
- Rear lights

Before painting I tried to see if everything is working correctly. On the front it is all good. But at the back I have a problem with the lights. The Right side rear light has only a reverse light that's constant on. The left side does nothing.

I hope somebody did the same thing and can tell me more about the wiring of the rear lights. I already looked on the internet but couldn't find clear information about that.

Another thing, the facelift front bumper has the original day running lights instead of fog lights. Is it possible to have the day running lights working in a 2004 S40? Now they are working as fog lights but would be nice to have them as day running lights.

A few pictures attached to see the facelift parts mounted.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Hi
not sure about rear lights wiring issue, but Im pretty sure its not possible to program pre-FL car to use fogs as DRLs. Even with hardware you have, your car thinks those fogs are just fogs and old cars had DRL in the "always on headlamps" flavour so I dont think it can be changed, nor you will find dealership keen on experimenting with software overwrite.
Someone correct me if im wrong please.

on a sidenote - there are huge gaps between bumper and light on the front, why is that?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on a sidenote - there are huge gaps between bumper and light on the front, why is that?
The picture I posted is with the facelift headlights in the pre-facelift bumper. I had to test the headlights. I tried to fit the facelift bumper earlier, before I had the headlights. With the facelift bumper there should be no gap. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
but Im pretty sure its not possible to program pre-FL car to use fogs as DRLs. Even with hardware you have, your car thinks those fogs are just fogs and old cars had DRL in the "always on headlamps" flavour so I dont think it can be changed, nor you will find dealership keen on experimenting with software overwrite.
Correct. If you want the fog lights to always be on as DRLs, you could wire them straight to an ignition power source or even the city light's power. But your low beams will still be on as DRLs too.

What year are the taillights coming from? I'm wondering if they're the lights with LED bulbs, which could be why they're not all coming on.
Before getting too far ahead of yourself, I'd just run a wire from the working tail light to the non working light. Basically jumping it just to confirm everything with that assembly is working.

I had a P1 that had some electrical issues, so I just ran a new power and ground to it, and everything worked fine after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct. If you want the fog lights to always be on as DRLs, you could wire them straight to an ignition power source or even the city light's power. But your low beams will still be on as DRLs too.

What year are the taillights coming from? I'm wondering if they're the lights with LED bulbs, which could be why they're not all coming on.
Before getting too far ahead of yourself, I'd just run a wire from the working tail light to the non working light. Basically jumping it just to confirm everything with that assembly is working.

I had a P1 that had some electrical issues, so I just ran a new power and ground to it, and everything worked fine after that.
The taillights are from a 2009 S40. They don't have LED bulbs. Both of them are not working but the connectors fit. A friend of mine is looking into the wiring diagrams diffrences in 2004 vs 2009.

Maybe for the DRL's, is it possible to load a software package with VIDA?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The taillights are from a 2009 S40. They don't have LED bulbs. Both of them are not working but the connectors fit. A friend of mine is looking into the wiring diagrams diffrences in 2004 vs 2009.

Maybe for the DRL's, is it possible to load a software package with VIDA?
Maybe its market specific, but in UK/IRE all S40 after 2008 had LED brake lights in cluster. You are 100% sure brake lights are normal bulbs?

DRL package - no harm asking dealers around but I seriously doubt it. Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe its market specific, but in UK/IRE all S40 after 2008 had LED brake lights in cluster. You are 100% sure brake lights are normal bulbs?

DRL package - no harm asking dealers around but I seriously doubt it. Let us know the outcome.
My bad, this morning I looked and indeed the brake lights are LED. I tested them by putting directly 12 volt on the two wires and the leds are working. The tail lights are coming from a UK car. I think it is just the diffrence between the pin layout in 2004 vs 2009 why the lights are not working.

I will have a further look in VIDA. Maybe someone over here can also check if there is a software package available.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I managed to get the rear lights working. The problem was indeed the pin layout. All the wires had different positions on the facelift tail lights. I can share the pin layout if anyone want to know it. Now I need to find some time to bring all the parts to the paintshop and then mount it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately I didn't get the DRL working with an software update. Probably my car is just too old. Now they are just LED fog lights.

Also I didn't post any pictures of the end result so here they are. I am really pleased with the result.

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeh man that looks great, nice work. Is that a T5?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unfortunately it's only a 2.4 petrol manual. A T5 would be nice but this was not in my budget for a first car as a 19 year old student. :rolleyes:
All good man just wondering from that exhaust. 2.4 is a bullet proof engine and sounds nice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I managed to get the rear lights working. The problem was indeed the pin layout. All the wires had different positions on the facelift tail lights. I can share the pin layout if anyone want to know it. Now I need to find some time to bring all the parts to the paintshop and then mount it.
Do you still have the pinout for the rear tailight?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts