SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone steer me to a junk yard in a COLD climate that has S40s/V50s? The fabric insert in both front door panels in my 05 V50 is separating, presumably due to inferno Texas summers. Or has anyone had any luck finding a suitable matching fabric and had their existing inserts recovered?

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
You could always find some coordinating fabric and use some spray adhesive to apply it over the padding. Should be easy enough (I think).

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

I have recovered my door inserts. was a real PITA you have to drill out the plastic rivets at the back of the door panel, then separate the fabric from the plastic part (took hours) and glueing the new ones back on. finally, you'll have to use some hot glue to get the panels back into the main door panel.
two front doors took me one whole day.

If you only want to swap the inserts with some (used) oem ones, then it should be easier.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
You could always find some coordinating fabric and use some spray adhesive to apply it over the padding. Should be easy enough (I think).
I retract my comment :p

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I have recovered my door inserts. was a real PITA you have to drill out the plastic rivets at the back of the door panel, then separate the fabric from the plastic part (took hours) and glueing the new ones back on. finally, you'll have to use some hot glue to get the panels back into the main door panel.
two front doors took me one whole day.

If you only want to swap the inserts with some (used) oem ones, then it should be easier.
i was planing on doing the same thing my car looks like a cheap car because of this dirty fabrics, i have to do this...replace it with some vinyl or some clean fabric (thinking maybe black but not sand )

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I retract my comment :p
LOL
it really wasn't that hard, just time-consuming. and I wouldn't do it again :D

oh btw, before I start a new thread... any advice in how to remove the door panels? I've done it and it worked somehow, but I can't remember how :p and the threads in the sticky aren't helping either. can't get the plastic parts popped out... my audio upgrade is lying around here. dammit.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
crossie, roll the window down, first remove screws from the door handle, and remove the tweeter speaker and pop out the window/lock switches if nessicary. the pull the panel from the bottom, outward twords you, and then along the sides, once everything is popped off, you push the panel up off were the window rolldown.... sorry for the rough explanation, maybe someone else could clear it up a bit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What color is your interior? If it's the off black, I have a driver's side door panel in great condition doing nothing but taking up space in my closet. I bought it on eBay by mistake when I was replacing mine...

·
Registered
52 Posts
LOL
it really wasn't that hard, just time-consuming. and I wouldn't do it again :D

oh btw, before I start a new thread... any advice in how to remove the door panels? I've done it and it worked somehow, but I can't remember how :p and the threads in the sticky aren't helping either. can't get the plastic parts popped out... my audio upgrade is lying around here. dammit.
Love the fabric there.
What is it? Where did you get it, and can you remember the manufacturer?? It looks great. Sets the car off really well

Ian

·
Registered
423 Posts
There are also professional auto upholstery shops that could do it. I was quoted about $90 per door to replace the fabric with dark gray faux leather, white stitching, and MORE PADDING on the arm rest for heavens sake. Worth it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For anyone still interested in doing this..It's not for the faint of heart. Not the worst but took extremely long.

In short:
1) remove door panel (there's a guide here)
2) Drill, grind, somehow remove round plastic rivet type things securing fabric panel piece to door panel. I used a dremel cut off tool and just grinded off the heads. Don't cut too much or you won't have enough post to glue back later, don't cut too little or you will have issues pulling apart.
3) Once removed, take off the nasty fabric. Wear gloves as this stuff is nasty if it gets on you. I used a loose razor to scrape off the old glue. Just keep scraping to get as much off as you feel is necessary. I kept going until it was almost white.
4) Using new fabric, I then sprayed 3M fabric spray generously on the front side of the panel. Hopefully this lasts some time. I didn't worry about the edges as I found that the fabric I was using (a thick vinyl type fabric) wouldn't hold with common spray glue, glue gun, or even goop. You need to ensure the back side is clean of all old glue or nothing will stick to it. What I found did work the best for the wrap around was just regular super glue. This is just to secure the excess fabric on the back side of the fabric panel. I suspect a lighter fabric would be held more easily by lesser glue but I would still use super glue on the back side to ensure it stays wrapped. I tried one without the wrapping around of the fabric but it didn't come out as nice.
5) Somehow you need to secure the old pegs you cut in step 2 back to the door panel. I used a glue gun which seemed to work pretty well. I don't know how long they will last because if you pulled on them you could separate them. Perhaps a goop would work here or some type of plastic cement but just as I discovered in step 4 on the back side, nothing sticks very well to the back side of this thing.
6) Re-install entire door panel and take a break or have a drink because you only did one and there are three to go.

Old:

New:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts