SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had to re-glue the fabric on the the pillar cover (side of windshield)? Mine is peeling away and needs to be glued.

What have you used so the fabric doesn't become saturated during the process?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Mine has recently been doing the same. This weekend I'll probably re-wrap it. Spray adhesive should work. Someone else who has actually done it can chime in with what they used, but that's what I was planning on using.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just did all of my pillars and i used ^^(super 77). I went with a black vinyl to match the dash and doors. I will be doing my headliner next. (front picture is a little dark. ill try to get a better one)

·
Registered
13 xc60 r design, 09 xc90 v8 RD, 12 c70, 07.5 S60r
185 Posts
I changed to 03 s60 pillars..they are plastic

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm curious as to how you removed your pillars. The fabric on mine is starting to peel back and removing the pillar to re-glue it would be a lot less messy than trying to do them in place.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious as to how you removed your pillars. The fabric on mine is starting to peel back and removing the pillar to re-glue it would be a lot less messy than trying to do them in place.
It's pretty easy - I saw a former Volvo tech do it on an Ocean Race. Pull out the door seal rubber on the body near the top of the trim piece so you have access to grab the upper edges of the trim, pull it out/away from the pillar towards you (like if you're sitting in the drivers seat), once it pops off don't pull it off completely because you can break the plastic clip holding it in place. If you reach behind the pillar trim which is still attached (you'll have about an inch to 1.5 inches gap) you can turn/rotate the little plastic clip so it can easily come out of the hole in the pillar.

In the pic, the blue metal clip is what you're pulling out of the pillar initially at the top of the trim piece but then you have the get the black plastic clip disconnected from it's anchor point. There are a couple tiny tabs on the black plastic piece that can break when pulled so turning it slightly allows it to disconnect without force. I'm told the black plastic anchor aloows the trim piece to move when the air bag behind it deploys but still holds the trim piece in place close to the pillar so it doesn't hit you in the head.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you turn the black piece 90 degrees in the pillar cover, it comes out as designed without force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
535 Posts
One mistake people make is to spray the adhesive then immediately lay the fabric back down. NO. DO NOT DO THIS.

The key with the 3M Super 77 adhesive spray is to spray it on to the pillar where the fabric has pulled away, then also spray it on the back side of the fabric as well. Once you've done this, wait a while, even a couple of minutes and let the adhesive become tacky on both surfaces, pull on the fabric while laying it back down and rubbing the fabric back into the trim piece. For the best results find something to lay on the part to hold the fabric in place so you don't have to stand there hold it forever.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thanks for the pics and tips on removing the pillar and applying the glue. Great info, everyone!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Binder clips work great for holdong the edges in place while it dries

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
One mistake people make is to spray the adhesive then immediately lay the fabric back down. NO. DO NOT DO THIS.

The key with the 3M Super 77 adhesive spray is to spray it on to the pillar where the fabric has pulled away, then also spray it on the back side of the fabric as well. Once you've done this, wait a while, even a couple of minutes and let the adhesive become tacky on both surfaces, pull on the fabric while laying it back down and rubbing the fabric back into the trim piece. For the best results find something to lay on the part to hold the fabric in place so you don't have to stand there hold it forever.
This is excellent advice. I used the super 77 when doing a headliner on my old 850. The headliner material had a foam backing and I noticed when I pressed down too hard when applying, the super 77 would soak through the fabric. The fabric on the pillars in our cars is so paper thin that you can guarantee it will saturate unless you wait for it to tack. I did not wait for it to tack and I had to re-do it with another sheet of fabric.

Additional advice from me would be to do plenty of trials on similar fabric around the house to perfect the tack wait time. The supper 77 comes in a big can and you will have plenty trust me. If you aren't cautious and you just "go at it", it's very difficult to get the glue out once it saturates. The super 77 becomes extremely sticky. If you ever accidentally got gorilla glue on your fingers, it's similar to that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts