SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is one for sale in my area with 130K on the clock, it's not fully loaded but has enough options to make it ok to own. Took it out on a test drive today in the rain and have some concerns on it. It has the 4C suspension but in sport mode it felt floaty driving in a straight line, engine sounded rough on startup but quieted down after a bit (not familiar with Volvo engines), steering felt a bit hard to turn in slow speed driving no matter what mode it was in (could also be that I'm comfortable with my current car which is easier), drove a 2016 S60 after it and that made me start to think there is more that I need to know about the S80 before making a decision on it. It was a recent trade at a Volvo dealer and wasn't yet checked out and cleaned up but looks in relatively good condition overall but the seats are certainly worn, this car saw use in all 4 positions. With little knowledge on these cars, I want to get some opinions on what the experts think and things I should be checking before deciding on it. Many thanks for any info you can provide.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Shocks are probably shot. In Sport mode, these are a hair choppy, certainly not soft and "floaty".
Steering probably needs the variable relay, right now it's stuck in high speed, harder steering mode
Engine should be smooth everywhere
Obviously not well cared for and has issues
PASS (IMO)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I test drove a very similar car to this in the earlier part of the summer (loaded to the max, 07 V8). Those V8s are butter smooth, should be no roughness. Also, as Jim said, the variable relay is probably shot on that car. Shouldn't feel heavy at all, IMO it felt very nice a low speeds and should "load up" on the highway to make it less touchy. Lastly, the suspension should feel different when changing the modes. Better not be "floaty" in sport mode. Keep looking unless its a hell of a deal and the dealer is willing to address those issues.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Typically what's the cost to replace the shocks (or entire suspension) and variable steering relay?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update. That rough idling is just the sound the V8 makes. After watching some YouTube videos, I realized this is a normal sound for this engine. I've never owned a V8 so this sound was not normal to me. I'm going to check the car out this weekend after they have had it serviced and detailed.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found out they sold the car. Stopped in to check it and they did an excellent job on the detail, even the seats looked way better. Guess this one wasn't for me.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Shocks are probably shot. In Sport mode, these are a hair choppy, certainly not soft and "floaty".
Steering probably needs the variable relay, right now it's stuck in high speed, harder steering mode
Engine should be smooth everywhere
Obviously not well cared for and has issues
PASS (IMO)
I have a different take on the 4C in S80 V8 models...
I would say Comfort is very soft and floaty. Sport is slightly less so. Advanced is firm but still reasonably comfortable. In fact, Advanced is still smoother than the base model P3 (2011+) S60 T5 suspension (Touring Suspension).
This is based on my experience with my own S80 V8 which I did buy with less than 40k miles, so shocks were not (and are not) "shot".

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Drove another V8 this weekend, sales rep pointed out it needed some suspension work, felt better than the last one and I went and drove a T6 in the area with less miles to get an idea of how it should feel normally. Put a deposit on it, waiting to go back to drive once the work is done, car is in decent condition for a used car, not pristine and will need some work to bring back the luster. Will update once I know more.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Good choice waynerm, I think you'll love the T6. I absolutely LOVE mine... a 2010, bought this past March with 96k on it. Runs and drives as if it were new. Handles like a 'dream'... at least compared to any other car I've owned.

Post some pics after you pick it up! We'd love to see it.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bad, just noticed what I wrote, meant to say I put a deposit on the V8, it had more equipment (HIDs, heated/cooled front seats, ACC), T6 had heated seats but none of the other equipment and the BLIS was having issues. Seats were regular leather, not perforated and not in as good condition as the V8. The person that had that V8 took care of it, even though it had scratches on the paint work, it looked better overall. Will certainly post if all goes well, there are a few things the dealer has to do to get it ready so I'm waiting to hear from them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My bad, just noticed what I wrote, meant to say I put a deposit on the V8, it had more equipment (HIDs, heated/cooled front seats, ACC), T6 had heated seats but none of the other equipment and the BLIS was having issues. Seats were regular leather, not perforated and not in as good condition as the V8. The person that had that V8 took care of it, even though it had scratches on the paint work, it looked better overall. Will certainly post if all goes well, there are a few things the dealer has to do to get it ready so I'm waiting to hear from them.

Not sure if you know this. The V8's did not come with a spare tire. They came with a tire inflator kit. Either get the dealer to give you a new inflator kit (they have a 4-5 year life span) or have them give you a space saver tire. When I bought my V8 I had the dealer give me a space saver tire. They charged me for it but gave it at their cost price.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Not sure if you know this. The V8's did not come with a spare tire. They came with a tire inflator kit. Either get the dealer to give you a new inflator kit (they have a 4-5 year life span) or have them give you a space saver tire. When I bought my V8 I had the dealer give me a space saver tire. They charged me for it but gave it at their cost price.
I started a thread on this a month or so ago. I bought a spare from a S60 from a junkyard off of ebay for about $70 shipped. it fits. the center bore is a little bigger, but who cares! there are two tire sizes, I posted the correct one. I think the XC70 has the same spare as the XC90. We want the other one.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for looking out guys, this car has a spare, it's not full size but it will work. Another thing I noticed is the trunk button on the inside does not pop the trunk up, I hear it making some sound but have to lift it, might be the struts for the trunk, guess I'll be sourcing parts for it, also saw a crack on the center console wood trim below the button area for the AC and light control but above the 4C control. Saw they have a silver trim available for this model year, would much prefer that for that area than the wood trim. Looking around for info and vids on how to replace that.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Thanks for looking out guys, this car has a spare, it's not full size but it will work. Another thing I noticed is the trunk button on the inside does not pop the trunk up, I hear it making some sound but have to lift it, might be the struts for the trunk, guess I'll be sourcing parts for it, also saw a crack on the center console wood trim below the button area for the AC and light control but above the 4C control. Saw they have a silver trim available for this model year, would much prefer that for that area than the wood trim. Looking around for info and vids on how to replace that.

the valve for the spare is under the spare! make sure you still have the compressor. mine is bouncing around the trunk since it is supposed to fit in the foam that goes where the donut spare now is.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The trunk isn't supposed to lift itself. There are two gas dampers but they're only to assist during lifting. All the wood trim can be replaced, yes. It's not too tricky but I replaced mine today (the wide piece housing three vents across the dash) today and it was finicky but definitely doable. I think the same goes for the rest of the pieces (not sure how they're fitted onto the door cards but I know it can be done).

Edit: As far as replacing the said piece, check the info thread stickied in the S80 forum. There's a link to the guide to adding the executive clock which contains instructions on removing the trim piece. The piece around the shifter can be replaced by using a plastic spudger (something that wont damage the interior) and prying from the "back" of the trim piece. Back as in closer to the rear seat. 4C cable might be tricky to disconnect without removing the entire center console but I assume it should be doable.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
FWIW, my original inflater kit works perfectly today still at 9+ years old.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
I started a thread on this a month or so ago. I bought a spare from a S60 from a junkyard off of ebay for about $70 shipped. it fits. the center bore is a little bigger, but who cares! there are two tire sizes, I posted the correct one. I think the XC70 has the same spare as the XC90. We want the other one.
An XC90 tire is way bigger than an XC70 tire.

An XC60 tire MIGHT match an XC90 though.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

I looked up the suggested tire sizes for an 18x8" for each model and the XC70 II was suggested to run 235/50-18 whereas the XC60, XC90 I and XC90 II all had 235/60-18. Though as stated the hub size differs. I think the XC90 I has a larger bore than the XC70 II and presumably the same as an XC60. If you're going to run a wheel with the wrong bore I think you definitely should run hub rings. Otherwise you're putting an unnecessary amount of stress on the bolts (which are supposed to tighten the wheel to the hub and by the tightness provide friction that helps the tire stay in place).

·
Registered
770 Posts
FWIW, my original inflater kit works perfectly today still at 9+ years old.
I think the life span is more about the tire sealant goo than the compressor.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

I looked up the suggested tire sizes for an 18x8" for each model and the XC70 II was suggested to run 235/50-18 whereas the XC60, XC90 I and XC90 II all had 235/60-18. Though as stated the hub size differs. I think the XC90 I has a larger bore than the XC70 II and presumably the same as an XC60. If you're going to run a wheel with the wrong bore I think you definitely should run hub rings. Otherwise you're putting an unnecessary amount of stress on the bolts (which are supposed to tighten the wheel to the hub and by the tightness provide friction that helps the tire stay in place).
I'm talking about spares. There were two sizes that kept popping up. I couldn't get the junkyard that was parting out an XC70 to confirm the size of the spare tire. I was able to confirm that the spare tire on the S80 was the same as the 1st gen S60. The S60 has a larger center bore.

The XC70s being parted out were advertised as V70s, so I'm not sure if the XC70 spare is different than a V70. Since I was able to confirm the S60 size, I went with an S60 donut. I then almost confirmed that the XC70 spare is taller than the S60 spare. I think the XC70 spare may be the same as the XC90 spare. Stress "spare", not regular tire.

Since I bought the car days before switching from an 8 mile local commute to a 52 mile mostly interstate commute with limited cell service I bought the S60 spare.

Yes I know the wheels are hub centric, and the center bore should match, but for use as a temporary spare I'm not too concerned about stressing the bolts for maybe 100 miles. It sure would beat being stranded on a highway with a can of dried up sealant.

When I got the spare I tried it on for size, and it fits. It is also readily available compared to the more correct one.

I didn't dig deep enough to see what size spare the XC90 has, and was too lazy to crawl under her car which is about fifteen feet from where I type to see what size is on my wife's XC90.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts