SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience or insight as to what has changed and if the new version of the DWS is better? In the market. Have the OG version of the DWS currently. No major qualms about it but I wouldn't strongly advocate for it either. Would love to put on Nokian WR's but they don't make them in a 255/45/20 :(

·
Registered
836 Posts
Anyone have any experience or insight as to what has changed and if the new version of the DWS is better? In the market. Have the OG version of the DWS currently. No major qualms about it but I wouldn't strongly advocate for it either. Would love to put on Nokian WR's but they don't make them in a 255/45/20 :(
Excellent tire. Period.

(But I do not have any personal or direct experience)

Continental Tire the Americas LLC’s ExtremeContact DWS06 all-season, ultra high performance (UHP) tire was named best new product in the tire and related product category at the 2015 Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) Show.

“We’re extremely proud to win the best new product award for the second year in a row at SEMA,” says Travis Roffler, director of marketing for Continental Tire. “We’ve maintained excellent snow traction while making improvements in wet traction, dry handling and tread life. This is the ultimate UHP tire that enthusiasts will really enjoy.”

The company says the ExtremeContact DWS06 marks the debut of its SportPlus technology, which is designed for precise handling; security on wet, slippery roads; and excellent tread life. Additionally, all-season traction is enhanced through the use of Continental’s Traction Grooves and X-Sipes technology. Traction Grooves improve snow performance through increased pattern edges while X-Sipes improve braking, cornering and acceleration in wet, snow and ice.

The ExtremeContact DWS06 also features the company’s Quick View Indicators, including the Alignment Verification System and Tuned Performance Indicators. The Alignment Verification System provides an early warning system to drivers alerting them to have the alignment checked on their vehicle. The Tuned Performance Indicators provide Dry, Wet and Snow letters in the tread to indicate the tire’s optimal performance levels in a variety of driving conditions.

The all-season tire has a 60-day customer satisfaction trial and road hazard coverage (12 months or first 2/32 inches) as well as a 72-month manufacturer’s limited warranty program. Also included is a 50,000 mile limited mileage warranty and three-year flat tire roadside assistance.

The ExtremeContact DWS06 comes in 87 sizes from 16- to 22-inch wheel diameters with a W and Y speed rating.

This marks the second straight year Continental has claimed the best new product award in the tire and related product category at SEMA. Continental’s TrueContact, a touring performance and all-season tire, won in 2014.

For more information, visit www.continentaltire.com.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I have about 5k miles on my DWS06 that are mounted on my V70R. Good tire for the price. Exceeds a normal all season in every way. We'll see if it meets the 50k mile treadwear warranty... Very capable in the rain, dry, I have no idea about snow (yet). They ride fine... I mean I drive a 4C equipped R with 235/45/R17 tires so with an XC90 I don't know how directly they can be compared... Much softer than a DW or a ContiProContact (what's on the XC70 we have). Can't compare them to PS AS3s because I don't have enough experience with the latter.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good. I'll probably go for it. The "S" imprinted in the tread is close to worn on the current set, and with winter on it's way and Vermont (and CT for family obligations) calling my name, I believe it is time.

Really wish Nokian made the WR in my size...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I personally have Yokohama iceGuard ig51v. It's a strict snow tire, and you could use your old Conti's for the other seasons. I love mine so far, and we have had winter since November 3rd. Around 3 feet of snow now and no problems. Mine are 255/50R19. Don't know if they come in 20's.

Update: they come in 255/50R20. No 45

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My preference is to have dedicated snows. That's what I have for my Suby. Not in the cards this winter for Sven. Maybe next year. Would love to pick up a set of Vulcanis' for the winter. Opens up a much wider range of options for snows but still looks sharp ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Put the DWS in my 1998 BMW 528i in 2009, fast forward to Nov 2015, these tires last some 50K miles.
Great tires.

Continental now calls them "DWS 06", to me it is the same stuff.
I just installed the DWS 06 in my 1998 BMW 528i.
Smooth running, no noise.
Overall an excellent tires for your $.
My tire man, who has installed tires for 40 years, says this is the best for your money.
And I agree.

PS: Yes this is more or less 4-season tires. During the first winter, it is good. After that so so on snow.
And yes, get dedicated winter tires on separate rims.
I bought the rims from ErieVolvo dot com.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
We had one set of 06's that we could not get a vibration to go away. Vehicle was 2004 BMW E46. No Vibration from the Micheline Pilot's it had on. Put the DWS on, vibration. Road forced and wheel match tires and it was still there. They came off and were returned to Continental. Put some Michelin Pilot Sport's back on and no vibration. I liked the DWS 05's as I personally had some and had many customers have the same tire and love them. Feedback on the 06 is mixed.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have experience with the original DWS. They were an excellent quiet and smooth ride but did not last long and prone to sidewall damage. TireRack and AmericasTire both recommended the new DWS 06 for my Volvo S80. When I asked what has changed, they guessed it was to improve the tread life and sidewall.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Road tripped from DC to CT, then CT to VT, then back with various milling abouts in CT on the new tires. Overall, two thumbs up. Drove through it all - dry+cold, dry+warm, snow, rain, sleet, freezing rain, and the tires are a definite improvement over the previous. Felt more sure footed in snow and frozen precip, smoother, maybe even quieter. Definitely pleased with the purchase.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I was going to get these to replace my terrible toyo open country at2s, but ended up getting a really good deal on some blizzaks. I've never had a complaint with the dws tires though, even the older ones. They're definitely one of the few "all" season tire options. Not as good as my nokians were in the snow, but not many tires are.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the DWS-06 on my 04 S60R, They are awesome in the snow, even with currently non-functioning AWD (Damn you collar gear, damn you all to hell) I have no problems cruising up Steven's pass here in Washington. They may not be a dedicated snow tire, but they seem to be at least 85-90% as good. Never been stuck, good grip on ice, good grip on packed snow in ski resort parking lots, feel great on wet rainy roads, and were way way more quiet on the dry hwys...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Running Blizzaks on my WRX right now. Its been unseasonably warm so haven't had them in snow yet but am really surprised at how much they feel like snow tire vs the Dunlop WinterSport and Nokians I've run in the past. Not sure if this is a good thing (currently feel as though it is not a good thing). Regardless of how the Conti's perform long-term this winter, I'll be looking to move to Nokians on a set of winter wheels. Probably will make the switch two winters from now. I expect these to make it through this winter, then I'll put the old Contis on for the spring/summer/fall since they are still pretty meaty - two of them still have the D-W-S visible and two have the S just barely worn - and then switch back to the new Contis next winter. Hoping to source some Vulcanis for the following winter assuming Nokian makes a corresponding tire that will fit. Would even "settle" for a smaller Cratus :cool:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
My blizzaks feel so much lighter than the toyos I had. And weight wise they are about half as heavy. I don't know what I'm going to do for summer tires. I'll probably find something used. I work from home so I don't drive a ton, and my tires usually rot off before the tread wears out so new tires are sometimes a waste of money.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts