SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are several threads like this, but most seem to describe UNEVEN wear on a single tire, which I have experienced in the past on this car and others. What is weird about my current case is that the wear on the tire in question seems EVEN, but it seems to be wearing at near twice the rate of the left rear.

I got these Bridgestone dueler HTs at a discount tire shop 5 moths ago to replace the set that were on the car when I got it in late 2012. They are absolute garbage which may be part of the problem, but probBly not all of it. The last set had some nasty uneven wear around, so I got the fresh ones put on, balanced em, got an alignment, and had them replace a left tie rod that was bad. 10k miles on em before rotation (a crime by some standards, and maybe to blame, but I thought volvo advised against it) and when I got the car back from a recent service, I noticed the wear on the tire that was right front (now right rear) was much more severe than the other 3:

By contrast, here is a picture of the former driver-side rear (moved to front)

Not sure why this wasn't noticed at my service (may ask em about it tomorrow) but it Was noted that LCA bushings were checked and OK'd. I have no clunks, groans, or squeaks in the front end, and am still on original suspension AFAIK. I have been playing with the idea of a full suspension rebuild anyway because the car generally feels really soft and bouncy.

Any thoughts on the particulars of this situation would be much appreciated. In the meanwhile, I plan to pay WAAAYYY more attention to my tires on a regular basis so as not to end up in a situation like this again where it is sort of "too late" to reverse the process and I will now likely need a new full set before winter.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Looks like scrubbing to me.

Where was the alignment performed, and did they provide you with a printout?

I go to the dealer for an alignment as I cannot trust the shops around me having had several issues ranging from a crooked steering wheel to wandering after an alignment. Shops stated nothing was wrong and refused to refund. :mad:

Alignment Specs:
http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/01-23-09/Wheel Alignment Specs.pdf

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mavis discount tire. A regional chain. They've done me no wrong in the past, but I certainly don't hold them above suspicion in this case. I never see them for anything other than new tires and an alignment/balancing with it. Didn't get a spec sheet, but also didn't ask for one. Thanks for the link!

More annoyed with my indy for not catching that at my major service than anything. His service write up claims that they "checked the lights, wipers, alignment, brakes, tires, and pressures" argh.

Scrubbing is lateral movement, correct? Not totally familiar with the term as it relates to tire wear.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Scrubbing, to me, is when the toe is set incorrectly on one or more tires which causes a tire to be "dragged" around. So yes, lateral stress.

Honestly, it could also be crappy tires and your driving habits. Do turn left a lot, or gun it a lot when turning left?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah these are the worst tires I've ever owned. Mavis gets a black eye just for recommending them to me. Anyway, I'd say I average approximately the same as far as left and right go. And I try not to gun it too hard period, though I've been pissed off a lot lately so maybe I'm more aggressive across the board. Sorta wanna take it back to Mavis and be like "What the ****?" but they'll just charge me for another bull**** alignment and send me on my way most likely.

I guess I'll call my volvo mechanic and see what he says. :mad:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah these are the worst tires I've ever owned. Mavis gets a black eye just for recommending them to me. Anyway, I'd say I average approximately the same as far as left and right go. And I try not to gun it too hard period, though I've been pissed off a lot lately so maybe I'm more aggressive across the board. Sorta wanna take it back to Mavis and be like "What the ****?" but they'll just charge me for another bull**** alignment and send me on my way most likely.

I guess I'll call my volvo mechanic and see what he says. :mad:
*HUG*

I got a set of Continetal True Contact, i liked them, not too expensive, and i ordered them online from .... tire buyer i think, they get shipped to what ever place you want them to be shipped.
Firestone auto (which i don´t recommend) used such a long time getting the tires on i got a free alignment :)

Continental TrueContact - #15497230000
Performance Touring All Season
Size: 215/65R16
Load/Speed Rating #: 98/H
Item #: 15497230000
Quantity: 4

Thats what i got.

Ouh, and you can´t just get an alignment now, it will compensate for the worn tire, which means you will have to get another alignment when you get a new set, and since its AWD you need to replace all 4 tires.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Im pretty sure I know what tires are coming next. And it's an exciting purchase, but one I wasn't planning to make for another 3 months at least. I'm going with either BFG ATs or General Grabbers. I had the later on my truck and though many say they are a "knockoff" BFG, I got great, even wear out of them, and they got me out of some really tough situations in which other tires would have lay down and cried. I back 'em 100%.

But I'm loathe to drop near a grand on new tires plus alignment without first confirming and correcting the underlying issue here. Perhaps the full suspension rebuild I had been contemplating will also happen sooner rather than later. I see the dangers of dipping my toes into the enthusiast waters clearly now ;-)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So interesting update. I spoke with my mechanic about the situation and he confirmed that the tires were rotated from front to back (wanted to confirm that) at the service, and after a visual inspection and road test there was no major or atypical wear on any suspension or steering components to report. He then explained something I have read elsewhere, but seemed almost unbelievable even tho it makes some sense.

Basically, the road is not flat, it's curved. If we drove down the center it would be, but since we drive on the right, our passenger side tires are effectively most often downhill of those on the drivers side. Since the front passenger side tire on a volvo is both torquing and turning, this DOES in fact create a mild "natural" scrub effect on it as the car travels down the road. This is why he advocates rotating more frequently than the 10k interval I chose.

Ive also read elsewhere that torque on fwd and front-weighted AWD systems is applied with a bias toward the right front
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?91889-Why-does-one-tire-wear-more-than-others

Is this all crazy talk? I want to take comfort in it, but I still feel slightly uneasy. My mechanic said he will double check everything when I return for my 120k with an eagle eye towards anything off. Thatll be in another 2 mos the way I'm driving lately so I think I'll hold off on new tires at least until then.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I don't necessarily disagree with that explanation, but at the same time that wear seems extreme. Also you'd hear everybody complaining about it if it were the cause. Your situation is uncommon, so I say it needs further investigating.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Totally agree Lloyd. My mechanic is a trustworthy guy, and has a great rep in our region, that said I know for a fact he didn't work on my vehicle himself this time, so he may not be aware just how serious the wear in question is. I'll take him up on his offer for a thorough personal look at the next service in a couple thousand miles. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Interesting theory.*

I haven't rotated my tires all season and I have approx. 15k miles this season. (avoids stones). This is including my road trips and quite a few power runs. Here are my FR and FL tires (the angle in one pic makes the tread depth look deeper than the other).

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Basically, the road is not flat, it's curved. If we drove down the center it would be, but since we drive on the right, our passenger side tires are effectively most often downhill of those on the drivers side. Since the front passenger side tire on a volvo is both torquing and turning, this DOES in fact create a mild "natural" scrub effect on it as the car travels down the road. This is why he advocates rotating more frequently than the 10k interval I chose.

If Jeff MacGregor were standing there with you he'd be air-shovelling BS while your guy was explaining. There are many reasons to rotate tires frequently. I have seen old 1st and 2nd gen Dodge minivans go through a brand new pair of tires up front in 15K mi, while the rears look brand new, so weight distribution is one reason, as is torque from applied power, as is spreading the effect of a bad corner across all tires to minimize the effect. I realize that the tire is very round, and doesn't have the usual signs of a bad strut, but I personally think you may have a bad RF strut, along with a bad toe adjustment as has already been said. Thing is, you haven't shown us a pic of what was the LF when this one was the RF. All I see is the old LR, and that is apples/oranges when the tires have never been rotated.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
In addition, looking more closely, there is more outside wear than inside wear, which happens when the ratio of straight driving vs curves/turns is not really high.
Also, you can check the date codes on all 4 tires (probably have to remove them and look on the backside). IF the wear on this tire is significantly different from the wear on the other rear tire that was on the front previously, then I would not be surprised to learn that the date code on this is significantly off from the other 3, which would imply it was from a different batch, possibly even a different facility, and falls under the treadwear warranty (as long as the tire wear is EVEN across the contact patch - so that outside wear may be a problem getting a warranty)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanx for the observations. Like I said initially, definitely sounded somewhat suspect to me. I'll take some better pics and one of the former LF later today. I'm limited by a lack of mechanics and tire shops I trust near where I live. I too suspect it may be a bad right strut but am not mechanically inclined or equipped to diagnose and repair that myself. Plus it basically drives great. Suspension feels worn and kinda bouncy, but even. I'll try to get Rec from a friend for someone else to take it to.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
FWIW, this doesn't look half as bad as mine w/ the bad control arm bushing/tie rod right now...

but i can't imagine it just being from a "bad tire"... sure seems suspension related and not just cuz "road is not flat". LOLOLOLz.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, this doesn't look half as bad as mine w/ the bad control arm bushing/tie rod right now...

but i can't imagine it just being from a "bad tire"... sure seems suspension related and not just cuz "road is not flat". LOLOLOLz.
Oh so you figured out the source of that terrible sound? Nice. Yeah this has none of the weirdo irregular wear i'm used to from tie rod/control arm/ball joint ****; but it seems like more than just a bad alignment too, so I dunno. I'll post up if/when I next get it looked at by a professional.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
If Jeff MacGregor were standing there with you he'd be air-shovelling BS while your guy was explaining. There are many reasons to rotate tires frequently. I have seen old 1st and 2nd gen Dodge minivans go through a brand new pair of tires up front in 15K mi, while the rears look brand new, so weight distribution is one reason, as is torque from applied power, as is spreading the effect of a bad corner across all tires to minimize the effect. I realize that the tire is very round, and doesn't have the usual signs of a bad strut, but I personally think you may have a bad RF strut, along with a bad toe adjustment as has already been said. Thing is, you haven't shown us a pic of what was the LF when this one was the RF. All I see is the old LR, and that is apples/oranges when the tires have never been rotated.
former left front:

The bad one (aka: former right front)

Would you still maintain that the bad tire looks worse on the outside when seen dead on from this angle? Wear seems pretty damn even to me.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Yeah, either the toe is way off (1 degree does a lot I have found) or the tire compound is suspect. From what I have experience with, a bad shock is extra bouncy and would cause waves or bumps across the tread, so I take the bad shock back, unless it turns out I was right. In that case I stand behind my call, haha.
I would go back and have the tire place give you a report on the current tread depth of all 4. It looks like the now RR is about 5/32 and the other rear is 7/32-8/32. The only other reason would be if that tire was not new, but had been run before and was already a 32 or 2 lower when put on. In that circumstance, again the date code would be off from the other 3. But it would be hard to prove that it was used and that they defrauded you by selling you a used tire with the understanding it was new.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gonna try and stop by the tire shop later today if at all possible.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts