SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm looking to add the the interior of my car and want to add some gauges. The go to would be a boost gauge but of course I have an NA and... Yah know.... No turbo. Anyone have any suggestions? Pods and gauge assembly's themselves? I already have s80 black guages on the way so I want aftermarket info guages. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Technically you can install a vacuum gauge, it just won't go positive (boost). It's still an indicator for engine load, although I don't know if it's that valuable (I knew Tacoma owners who used it for hyper-miling for fuel economy)

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Any vacuum line on the intake manifold would work (But for occasional trouble shooting or info, an obd bluetooth scanner and phone app would work)

But.

What are you thinking for location? (& qty)
Off the shelf options are somewhat limited, but out there.
ipd has the corner of the dash single pod.
There is a vent pod in the far left dash vent (maybe a member making these, I forget).
And, interior door mirror location (?) single pod.
And I know Viva was working on the dash surround.

If you wanna get creative, make your own for cheap(er).
I've seen a 3 gauge pod where the center speaker Is. There's the classic A-pillar set up, or make/modify your own gauge surround for real cheap. Also you can use the pocket to the left of the head unit.

AF ratio is good. If you really like information at hand, you could include volts, oil temp & oil pressure. Transmission temp if you're an auto and work it hard.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the look of a few gauges. I was thinking of adding oil temp and voltage (how difficult or expensive are these to add?) and I really like the viva center dash options. If I was to do boost I would get the 3 cluster center dash

·
Registered
112 Posts
I love the look of a few gauges. I was thinking of adding oil temp and voltage (how difficult or expensive are these to add?) and I really like the viva center dash options. If I was to do boost I would get the 3 cluster center dash
What do you think about A-pillar double pod? I had this trial installation in my SAAB.

·
Registered
112 Posts
More photos about the installation:
https://picasaweb.google.com/110516...ilPressureAndOilTemperatureGaugesInstallation

Personally, it was distracting for me at driving, even at night.
SAAB B205 engine sludge prones, so oil pressure feedback was essential for me for a time period. But after the sump and pick-upt tube cleaned I hid it - and have been checked time-to-time.
If you want to mknitoring some essential parameter: buy precious gauges - expensive ones! If you want to see only difeencies (e.g. oil temperature before starting vs. traffic jam on highway at hot Summer time) a cheap one could be useful as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I added the "Classic" gauges (also called "watch dial gauges") in my 2006 V70 along with the LED down-lights tied to the LSM for proper dimming.

For more gauges, I'm currently using an UltraGauge which gives me intake temp, injector trim, intake temp, coolant temp and a slew of other data. The only other thing is a ****tily (is that a word?) rigged boost gauge that I need to mount properly.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

That's funny because I just got these in the mail today! I also ordered the viva center dash 3 gauge cluster today as well. I just need some guidance on what's good to get, and how hard is it to install.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Damn. Not bad. :D I think these look classier and less race-car like than the blue R gauges. :D
I only have the boost gauge, but I wouldn't mind an oil pressure gauge either. I'm probably going to (attempt to) fiberglass up a two-gauge center-speaker housing. I'm not sure of an easy place for oil pressure (ideas?) but the boost gauge it teed into the vacuum reference port on the driver's side of the intake manifold.

You can see a hint of my ghetto boost gauge temporary "install" in this gallery:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had heard that the gauges existed but never had seen them before. I saw them come up on the classifieds and instantly jumped on them as they look so freaking cool and I think they are harder to find than the R gauges and you don't see people with them! I don't have a turbo but I could do the boost guage at the inlet for the intake (anyone have any pictures of how this is done or the location exactly?) and I do see that! I missed it going over the first time

·
Registered
792 Posts
IMO you really don't need to spend that much on a volt meter. It looks nice but a MUCH cheaper one will give you the same exact result. I got this one from Amazon. Along with a gauge holder I mounted it on my A-pillar. Looks nice, numbers are clean looking, and a warning light comes on if you drop below 11.5 volts.

I actually had my voltage regulator fail on me a couple months ago and I wished I had my volt meter hooked up at the time. Right after I replaced the regulator I installed the meter so now I can keep an eye on my voltage output while I'm driving. I'll try to throw some pics up later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
boost guage at the inlet for the intake (anyone have any pictures of how this is done or the location exactly?)
I'll snap a picture tonight after work and show you where I connected mine. It was a simple snip, install a "t" and done. Since my boost gauge is just stuck in the dash and not mounted properly, I just routed the hose around the passenger door. I'll stick it through the proper grommet by the brake booster when I do it right.

Oh, and I use this for most common gauges: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll snap a picture tonight after work and show you where I connected mine. It was a simple snip, install a "t" and done. Since my boost gauge is just stuck in the dash and not mounted properly, I just routed the hose around the passenger door. I'll stick it through the proper grommet by the brake booster when I do it right.

Oh, and I use this for most common gauges: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/
That sounds like an easy install! I'm interested to see where you hooked it up, I have an idea of where it goes but I'm not sure. So after reading that site I am going to get a voltage, intake boost gauges, and intake temp.

IMO you really don't need to spend that much on a volt meter. It looks nice but a MUCH cheaper one will give you the same exact result. I got this one from Amazon. Along with a gauge holder I mounted it on my A-pillar. Looks nice, numbers are clean looking, and a warning light comes on if you drop below 11.5 volts.

I actually had my voltage regulator fail on me a couple months ago and I wished I had my volt meter hooked up at the time. Right after I replaced the regulator I installed the meter so now I can keep an eye on my voltage output while I'm driving. I'll try to throw some pics up later.
Thanks for the reply esherm, the only reason I like that particular gauge is because it is green and my radio is green and the interior lights are green. I want to stick with my green theme! I will look for a more inexpensive one though. And I want to install all of these to monitor the important engine functions. I would love to see some pictures of how you set it up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.