SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you installed an external transmission cooler on your P3? I may have some towing in my future and was considering installing one. Wasn’t quite sure how to connect to the rigid plastic hoses.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
533 Posts
i just saw this...i added one to my 2012 s60 t5.....I sliced into the rigid plastic lines by using a variable temp. heat gun and those barbed metal splices. I figured tranny temps/ oil can stand about 300 degrees so the lines can take maybe 400? Who knows. but heating the splice and lines let me push the splice in. If the rigid line is too hot, it will be too soft...trial and error..i took my time..i used hose clamps. its been over a year, no problems...yet..

·
Registered
275 Posts
if the lines are anything like the nylon fuel hose you could try softening them up on hot water first, which is what I think you're still supposed to do with those fuel lines.

Anything with a flame with make short work of them haha but they can take a fair bit of heat if applied the right way (really hot water).

What cooler did you use? what size? where did you mount it?

Also which trans line is the 'output' to the cooler and which line is the 'input' back to the trans? Did you make use of the 'thermostat' thing built in next to the radiator?

·
Registered
533 Posts
i can answer some questions. hot water can't be anywhere close to being hot enough for a transmission line. you gotta figure a transmission line can take well over 300 degrees minimum. I'd never use a torch, i used a variable temperature heat gun and patience . It's important to heat the metal splice. I kept the volvo tranny cooler next to the radiator and put the added cooler after. I think i used a denali brand cooler but any other brand would work. I used the high end expensive cooler not the least expensive, used a smaller size ( sorry don't know dimensions) , mounted in the front behind the grill. I took the front cover off to do this.
I don't remember inlet/outlet. There actually is a tranny thermostat mounted on the bottom left engine block. I used hose clamps on the spliced line. it's been over a year plus and no leaks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks for this fellas. Alright this makes sense. Good to know it’s doable. I’m gonna put this on my list of project for the spring.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

1 - 5 of 5 Posts