SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an issue I've kind of brushed of, but it has happened about 5 or 6 times now where the external temperature sensor reads way colder than it is. For example, this afternoon it read 18 degrees F (yes F not C) when it was around 70 F outside. Usually the issue resolves itself within a few minutes, definitely with a restart of the car, but today it lasted about 25 minutes. I think it may have also affected the internal climate control because it was blowing hot air even when set to 66 F. I have made an appointment to get it checked, but it happens so sporadically, I don't know that it will be reproducible. I did a forum search and noted that some people had an issue with it reading too high in the summer, but didn't find anyone note that it read too low? Any others with the issue?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The temp varies considerably (but not that much) from the ambient temp, as I understand, because the sensor is reading the ground temp below the sensor. That means it is reading the hot asphalt in summer. It seems yours may need some recalibration.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My guess would be that the temp sensor is reading the air intake ... maybe ask in the Volvo support forum?

·
Registered
837 Posts
On the XC60 the sensor is in the exterior mirror. Ours went out and eventually threw a code. There can be issues with the sensor or the little harness that goes to it through the door. May have the same thing here...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the problem seems to be happening everyday now so it may be a faulty sensor as mentioned. No other xc90's with this problem?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The temp varies considerably (but not that much) from the ambient temp, as I understand, because the sensor is reading the ground temp below the sensor. That means it is reading the hot asphalt in summer. It seems yours may need some recalibration.
I understand the sensor is located in the exterior mirrors. I highly doubt that it gets a reading from scanning ground temperature. That would require a laser sight. It would also make the ambient temperature reading highly inaccurate since there can easily be a difference of 40 or more degrees between ground and air temperature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts