SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed that the outside temperature reads about 10 degrees too high in our XC60. As an example, when it is 100, it reads about 110. While no car I've ever owned is 100% accurate in this area, most are within 4 or 5 degrees tops. This delta makes it a bit useless. We actually had an issue with our external ambient temp sensor (threw a check engine light) a while back and I'm wondering if we still have an issue. What are you guys seeing?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You need to be comparing it to the "feels like" temperature, not the actual temperature. Mine is spot on, maybe 2 degrees at most.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
While the vehicle is moving, the temp seems pretty accurate. Like most thermometers, sitting in the sun will result in higher readings. In the current XC and our former '07 XC70, the occasional VERY low reading will appear(as though it is measuring the temp of the A/C !), but that usually corrects itself in a few minutes.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ours will get closer to the actual temp when moving, but takes forever and is still 5-7 degrees too high. Like I said, I have other cars with this feature and am aware how it works (and the effect of sitting or being on hot asphalt) but 10 degrees seems...well...kind of ridiculous. It sounds like you guys are definitely seeing numbers closer to actual than I am (note: perhaps not surprising given my aforementioned issue with this sensor where they only cleaned corrosion from the wires).

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Could be that Passion Red putting off a bit of heat! :) Our sedate Electric Silver may offer a more neutral platform. ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could be that Passion Red putting off a bit of heat! :) Our sedate Electric Silver may offer a more neutral platform. ;)
Good thought, coachrick, but my Passion Red thermometer is spot on with a National Weather Service certified thermometer (yes, really). I think you have an issue. But come on, is there really much difference between 100 and 110?? Isn't anything over 80 just plain TOO HOT?? Sorry, just an old Alaskan writting here....... :) Pete

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My passion red and my cellphone NWS match within 2 degrees at all times after the car has been running for 10 or more minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine consistently reads high too, planning to bring it up at the next scheduled dealer visit. Saville Grey, in case anyone is keeping score.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would concur with that thought. My passion red XC60 always seems to be about 5 degress higher than what the ambient temperature actually is

-E

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree with the thread title that the external temperature is 10 degrees too high. 95deg+ here again in Minnesota!

BUT, the XC60 temperature reading is dead on accurate all the time as compared with national weather service and our own house digital temp gauge. Very seldom is the XC60 stopped though - it's always on the move.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have a 2017 XC60 and ambient temp reading is about 10 degrees too high while vehicle is moving. This is on two lane roads going 40 to 55 mph. Do you know where the ambient temp sensor is located? We drive by a few temp signs in our area and our other car is +/- one degree. The XC60 ALWAYS reads 10 degrees too high - talking about actual ambient temps above around 75 degrees. Cannot remember in April when the temps were lower if it was that far off or not.

·
Registered
220 Posts
We have a 2017 XC60 and ambient temp reading is about 10 degrees too high while vehicle is moving. This is on two lane roads going 40 to 55 mph. Do you know where the ambient temp sensor is located? We drive by a few temp signs in our area and our other car is +/- one degree. The XC60 ALWAYS reads 10 degrees too high - talking about actual ambient temps above around 75 degrees. Cannot remember in April when the temps were lower if it was that far off or not.
The ambient temperature sensor is in the driver's side mirror so depending on the color of the paint it can heat up quite a bit (my black xc60 does this).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Our white 2015.5 Platinum with matching white mirrors reads about 10 degrees too warm in the warmer seasons. And about 2 to 4 degrees too warm in winter season (which is dangerous since black ice is the number one road killer in this region. So much for safety first!).

Our dark grey 2015.5 with matching mirrors has roughly the same defective temp readings syndrome.

Our previous Ford Edge outside temp reading was pretty much spot on matching with area temps, unless stuck in heavy traffic on extreme heat days.

Previous Subaru readings from the past were about on par with Volvo in the summer months, but generally accurate in the all important winter months.

·
Registered
654 Posts
If Volvo didn't adjust for the difference in absorbed incident solar energy between white and black, they're idiots. That said, maybe there is a programmed offset that got knackered? Maybe VIDA?

·
Registered
220 Posts
If Volvo didn't adjust for the difference in absorbed incident solar energy between white and black, they're idiots. That said, maybe there is a programmed offset that got knackered? Maybe VIDA?
Well... then the black cars would read low in the winter or at night, wouldn't they?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting this thread was revived. I was contemplating starting my own temp thread. My all white car is anywhere from 8 - 10 degrees off. Was even thinking about replacing the sensor. So, it's really in the mirror? Not under the bumper anymore?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Anyone know of a service menu that can be accessed to tweak the value? Believe my wife's Honda Odyssey can be adjusted a few degrees in a menu.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts