SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the exterior B pillar window trim from the front door? The passenger side piece on our V70RD developed an 'unexplainable' dent and I would like to replace it with a good one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The trim is riveted to the door frame.

In order to remove the trim piece these rivets - three in total - need to be drilled out. Do not drill to deep or you damage the door. Do not drill in any other spot, there is foam behind the trim piece.
To gain access to the rivets the seal for the window track needs to be pulled away which requires removal of the window glass. In turn this requires unbolting of the window glass from the lift mechanism so the door card needs to be removed.

It is advisable to also remove the lower window seal/trim for easier removal/reinstallation. Unbolting the entire mirror helps even more as it allows the seal from the prior sentence to just be lifted away.
At least in theorie, in reality it can be very stuck and hard to remove.

P/N #988110 for the rivet (need 3x)
P/N #30799055 for the trim (drivers side)
P/N #30799056 for the trim (passenger side)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I'm assuming there is no way to pull back enough of the window track to get at the rivets without removing the glass? I'm assuming the inner black plastic trim around the window frame needs to be taken off as well to remove the track?

·
Registered
300 Posts
All the necessary steps I described above are required for by the book R&R and nothing more. As mentioned mirror removal is optional.

There might be a misunderstanding. The window track is part of the trim piece you want to replace. There is no additional window track on the non hinge side of the front doors. Though there is one on the hinge side but that is welded to the door itself.
You can certainly try to just pull back the seal, drill out the rivets and maneuver the black trim out of there.
Make sure to catch the metal swarf instead of letting it fall into the door. The body of the rivet has a habit of getting stuck and needing to be punched into the door inner. Avoid that by carefully drilling it out.

Look up picture with the part number to get a better understanding of how it sits in the door.

Minor correction on my part: 3 rivets for vehicles with the older style lights and 2 rivets for vehicles with the newer style lights.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I peeled it apart a bit tonight. Saw the three rivets. Definitely think I could drill those out without removing everything mentioned. Still not sure how the felt glass seal fits in the trim piece I need to replace though as trying to pull it out didn't indicate any type of movement. Also, from a parts blowup, it appears there is a lower tail on the trim which might extend down into the door cavity?

Also considering paintless dent repair as it appears a glue pull might get it 99% back to normal however with it being aluminum and a trim piece I am skeptical.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Correct, it's a bit like a long and slim meat cleaver aka that 'lower tail' does extend into the door.

Pull the seal in the upper corner area to get enough slack. The seal runs all the way down into the door in that track so it has to be pulled up and out.

PDR can work. Personal experience is that the paint is quite brittle and tends to chip. On the trim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts