SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did seach before posting "Nazis searcher"

im having some problems with my lights :s

first i recently replaced my "stop" bulb and i also did replace my passenger side rear fog light bulb (it has socket for the bulb) but when i press the rear fog lights button it won't light. It just light the left one (driver side) ...is there any fix or something to check .???

second, while using the car aka always im with the parking lights since i dont like to have the HID on all the time and im not paying $100 or whatever the Volvo dealer from Puerto Rico charge to do the software change in order to have them off ...anyways i was wondering when the parking lights are on, the amber light from the front headlights are on (no problem with me i also know the rear taillight are on) are there any other lights in the front headlights to be on at the same time ???

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I'll answer question #1. There is only meant to be 1 rear fog lamp. It's located on the drivers side. The socket on the passenger side is not powered.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
^^ yeah, rear fog lights are only a single bulb. It's designed to get following drivers' attention and to be less light output in heavy fog. Just enough to show where you are and warn where the corner of your car sits.

When your parking lights are on, both the city lights, the running lights, and the tail lights will be illuminated. Headlights On and DRLs will have the low beams, city lights, running lights, and tail lights illuminated.

And not to cause confusion, but if you press the light button on your key fob, that will illuminate the parking lights, plus your interior lights and the puddle lights.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
When you drive on "park" (which the middle position of the lights is) your:

number plate lights
side lights (side markers)
parking lights front
rear lights

are on.

So, adding all up:

around about 50-60W, depending on what kind of bulbs etc. are fitted.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
These are running lights. Running lights are the orange lights on the sides, City lights are the weak inner bulbs (on early S40/V50/C30 models, theses were next to the high beams).

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
These are running lights. Running lights are the orange lights on the sides, City lights are the weak inner bulbs (on early S40/V50/C30 models, theses were next to the high beams).
The term "Sidelights" refers to their position on the side of the car ;) Running lights is just the term for US cars :)

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Sidelights would make a whole more more sense. I'm thinking of Porsche, Merc, Audi, etc. where side lights are literally on the side of the car.

I get confused between "city lights" and "running lights" all the time, they need different terminology here!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you drive on "park" (which the middle position of the lights is) your:

number plate lights
parking lights front
rear lights

are on.

So, adding all up:

around about 50-60W, depending on what kind of bulbs etc. are fitted.
when in "parking" position the little bulb besides the high beam doesn light up... i guess they are not working anymore any replacement number ?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
It should say in your manual, but you may want to upgrade those to regulated LEDs. Check the stickies for the LED conversion thread.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Sidelights would make a whole more more sense. I'm thinking of Porsche, Merc, Audi, etc. where side lights are literally on the side of the car.

I get confused between "city lights" and "running lights" all the time, they need different terminology here!
There are "running lights" and "daytime running lights", which are usually the low beam headlights at low power.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! if anyone has a url or a website of where to buy these regulated LEDs feel free to pm ;)

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
LED conversion thread

I recommend reading through this thread. If you don't use your brights a lot, you'll be fine with non-regulated bulbs. But if you do want, here's the regulated bulbs.

Either way, you should be able to find the bulbs you need off Amazon for the best prices. These are just the links from the forums.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
There are "running lights" and "daytime running lights", which are usually the low beam headlights at low power.
I know the differences between switch positions and what's on and such. I just get confused between city lights and running lights, between which are the orange side markers and which are the bulbs by the high beams. I always have to look it up before I speak.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"5 Led SMT Tower" are the ones ?

by the way i was searching how to open the back of my headlight to replace this bulb :S

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Take off the main cover, as if you were changing out your low beams, and then just look for the small bulb socket stuck into the side of the high beam. It's a hassle to get your hand back there, but it's do-able.

Once you take the back cover off the headlamp assembly, you'll see what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Here are the terms I know:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks everyone !

and yes "daim" the parking lights are the bulbs that im talking about ;)

never seen them working, i thought they worked together with the high beams lol

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
btw, I like the new sig Daim
Thanks! :) Drove through Bremen today and saw something like that (not exactly that) and thought it was good... So I created something "different" :)

Btw.: what you class as "city light" is classed as "parking light" in Europe. Being that those light up. You're not allowed to drive only with them on (only in combination).

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just ordered the "5 LED smt tower" (6K)

:D feeling a hole in my pocket lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts