SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my mother drives a 2002 v70 with about 107,000 miles on it. She loves the car, but most maintenance happens when I come home and push her to make appointments or bring the car for an oil change. The timing belt was recently replaced along with the major service that should happen just over 100,000 miles. <p>I know that these transmissions tend to go bad. A month ago a woman came to our tag sale and told us her husband is a volvo dealer and that we need to get rid of our car before it hits 100,000 miles because thats when the transmission goes bad. Where it is right now the car still shifts smoothly, with a very rare slightly abrupt downshift, which I think might happen because her neighborhood is a bunch of steep hills.<p>She got the transmission software upgrade at least a few years ago. I don't know if her mechanic flushed her transmission fluid at her last service or not, even though I told her to make him do it. <p>What are some tell tale signs that the transmission is going, what can we do to prolong the life of it, and are these cars worth holding on to? We've had a number of 240s over the years with over 200,000 miles on them, and she wants to keep this car forever, and so far it has always ran perfectly (never a CEL), but I just want to make sure it is worth it.<p>Thanks in advance for any advice you can lend.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Extending the Life of a transmission (richardthepundit)

This is not a 240.<br>With 100K miles I would do two or three drain and fills, (cheap enough) the mileage is a bit too high for a flush.<br>Do one now, (Next service) one more in 500 miles and another at the next oil change.<br>Takes 20 minutes so no big deal

·
Registered
7,612 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>richardthepundit</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>are these cars worth holding on to? </TD></TR></TABLE> Absolutely. They do require more repairs and maintenance than a 240, but they'll still run as long and look good doing it.<p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>richardthepundit</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>she wants to keep this car forever</TD></TR></TABLE><p>This is key, and will work in her favor. Most people think that when they're faced with a $3000 repair, they should spend $15,000 on a new car. But they miss the logic that $3000 < $15,000, and their dollar per mile will still be way lower if they just repair their old car. People for some reason tend to think about the value of the car instead of the cost per mile, and throw far more money away on depreciation than the repair would ever cost them.<p>Since she loves the car that much, then just budget for a tranny replacement so that when it goes bad it'll be no big deal. Get it swapped and enjoy another 100k miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>richardthepundit</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A month ago a woman came to our tag sale and told us her husband is a volvo dealer and that we need to get rid of our car before it hits 100,000 miles because thats when the transmission goes bad.<p></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Baloney! I just turned over 205,000 on my 2000 V70. I WOULD, however, follow JRL's instructions for care. Then probably start flushing again every 30K miles.<p>One thing JRL forgot to mention is that the tranny takes a SPECIAL spec. fluid, called JWS 3309. There are a couple places to get the fluid that are MUCH cheaper than the Volvo dealer...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts