SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we will hit the end of our factory warranty in February and am considering an extended warranty from Volvo (assuming they offer one!). Has anyone purchased one? Any advice on "deals"? I know, for other makes, some dealers have sold them online (like they will do with parts) at an appreciable discount.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought my 08 C30 with an extended warranty at the dealer: the Volvo VIP Exclusionary Warranty. It was a little pricey but mainly because the car was an 08 that we put it on. $100 deductible but it was able to cover a broken rear seat folding mechanism and a bad seat belt sensor already. It will cover most anything mechanical and the AC too.
My dealer at least (not where I bought the car from but where I take it to be serviced) was very familiar with it and said they are pretty good about covering a lot.
It also has roadside assistance and rental car reimbursement.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
So we will hit the end of our factory warranty in February and am considering an extended warranty from Volvo (assuming they offer one!). Has anyone purchased one? Any advice on "deals"? I know, for other makes, some dealers have sold them online (like they will do with parts) at an appreciable discount.
I like extended warranties mainly for peace of mind, but almost every expert is against them. I know from personal experience their prices from dealers are negotiable so don't take their first offer. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've had my savings account raided by out of warranty major repairs on European cars before....never again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have been through this process. Just FYI, the VIP plan with $200 deductible per visit costs about $3000 which covers my 2011 XC60 for 48 months and up to 100k miles. Of course, the price will vary slightly based on your model year and mileage. But I heard the price will go up pretty a lot if the car is out of original warranty when you buy the extended one. You also can buy the extended warranty from any Volvo dealer in US and it's valid in any of them. The process can be done on phone or emails. You can cancel the plan anytime and you will get prorated refund based on the mileage or time.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I looked at getting the Volvo VIP extended warranty, and called a few Volvo dealers down south, and the lowest price I got from one in NC (maybe?) was $2400 for a 2013 S60 T5 AWD with 42k on the odometer. Our local Volvo dealer was asking $2900, and agreed to match the $2400. We decided against getting it from an ROI standpoint, but deals can be had. Google it and you will find the names of some high volume warranty Volvo dealers that sell it at or close to cost to sell more warranties. Sorry I dont remember the dealers name.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I looked at getting one, and called a few dealers down south, and the lowest price I got from one in NC (maybe?) was $2400 for a 2013 S60 T5 AWD with 42k on the odometer. Our local dealer was asking $2900, and agreed to match the $2400. We decided against getting it from an ROI standpoint, but deals can be had. Google it and you will find the names of some high volume warranty dealers that sell it at or close to cost. Sorry I dont remember the dealers name.
Can you explain that last point please? I assumed volvo was the warranty insurer, but you're saying they just peddle warranty coverage from a third party whose sole business model is selling warranty insurance?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Can you explain that last point please? I assumed volvo was the warranty insurer, but you're saying they just peddle warranty coverage from a third party whose sole business model is selling warranty insurance?
Sorry, I meant Volvo dealers who sell a lot of these warranties at a lower profit, versus my local dealer who sells less warranties at a higher profit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Extended warranties sold by Volvo dealers are underwritten by various insurance companies, not the Volvo factory. The costs vary as do the terms of coverage. We decided to self-insure a 2010 T6 based on the cost of the warranty ($3,400+) and my ability to have repairs done at reduced cost by clients in the trade. Also, because we have had 7 Volvos over the past 20 years without a major system failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts