SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R just ticked past the 50k mark and I was contacted by a third party warranty company. I did some research and found they are not to be trusted. Anyone have a company they recommend? I think it a wise investment given the repairs that could be possible. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My R just ticked past the 50k mark and I was contacted by a third party warranty company. I did some research and found they are not to be trusted. Anyone have a company they recommend? I think it a wise investment given the repairs that could be possible. Any help is appreciated.
I didnt purchase extended warranty and i have my 07 R since last year and it just hit 60300k recently...i didnt regret not buying it, and the car, so far, never really had any major issues....also the reason i didnt buy was because I felt more mechanically inclined to do service on my car by my ownself...So i would think that if your not that mechanically inclinded to at least troubleshoot any future "check engine light" on your own, then yea, go for the warranty from a trusted source...otherwise, you can spend the money on upgrades for your car instead...and besides, your car just hit 50k? that pretty good for an 07, so I believe you would have less worries about car issues in the future since the car is not over driven.

·
Registered
234 Posts
well i went to the volvo dealership and spoke to a finance manager about extended warranty options at first...but they were both expensive. i think they quoted me about 2100$ for another 2 year or 24k extended warranty or 3000$ for another 4yrs 48k i believe. But its best to go with your local dealership...but again, I didnt get the extended warranty at all...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I misread your reply. The company I contacted wanted $4500 for their "platinum" level coverage. Zero deductible, 4 years/50,000 mile coverage. The typical things I asked if were covered were (angle gear, turbo, 4C suspension, etc.) but it seemed a bit high.

While I was on the phone with them I "Googled" the company and came back with a series of complaints about them so I decided against them.

I was offered a warranty when I bought the car in December but passed because it would have pushed my payments above what I wanted to spend. In hindsight I wish I had done it then.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Contact me

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got a GM warranty through the dealer where I bought my car (Which has saved me close to $10,000 in repairs over the past 3 years). I don't think you can just get the GM warranty unless you buy a car at a Gm dealership. However, you can buy a warranty at any GM dealership through Zurich and it looks almost identical on paper. Worth looking into.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So after researching a few companies I finally found one that seemed reputable. I called them and found that they are so reputable they won't sell me a plan. Apparently I don't drive enough for their plan to cover me. I would need to put 1,000 miles onto the car once covered before the coverage would even kick in, or have "significant driving history" with the vehicle. I drive less than 30 miles a week and have only owned the car since December. I guess this is their way of protecting themselves against someone buying coverage and then turning in a claim immediately for a big repair that happened before the coverage was purchased. I should have bought the coverage when offered at the dealership but something felt shady about it so I passed. Ugh.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So after researching a few companies I finally found one that seemed reputable. I called them and found that they are so reputable they won't sell me a plan. Apparently I don't drive enough for their plan to cover me. I would need to put 1,000 miles onto the car once covered before the coverage would even kick in, or have "significant driving history" with the vehicle. I drive less than 30 miles a week and have only owned the car since December. I guess this is their way of protecting themselves against someone buying coverage and then turning in a claim immediately for a big repair that happened before the coverage was purchased. I should have bought the coverage when offered at the dealership but something felt shady about it so I passed. Ugh.
Its ok...you'll survive...we'll lets say that you did indeed bought the warranty and then later on you do quite a few upgrades on your car....most chances are, they may deny ur warranty claim in the future because of the after market products you put in your car...and not only that, when you sign up for warranty they run a full pre-instpection of your car and you have to pay for that inspection up front first (so i heard) and then they will decide if you qualify for the warranty.This is also way for protecting themselves against someone getting warranty and then all of a sudden submitting a warranty claim right after coverage was purchased. 30 miles a week? ur job is prolly right around the block i would imagine...

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
With major mods is it best to self insure? I hate getting a No ( since my clients won't go for it )and it seams mods would void a warranty ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts