SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a letter from Volvo of North America informing me that they have "voluntarily decided to extend warranty coverage for the VOLVO Emblem on the radiator grille Iron Mark Logo, on certain model year 2010-2013 S40, V50, S80, S60, V70, XC70, XC90, C30, and C70 models .... until December 31, 2014."

Mine's just fine.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Extended warranty on the one very single most visible symbol of the manufacturer that would reflect horribly on it's materials and build quality. Generous.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Extended warranty on the one very single most visible symbol of the manufacturer that would reflect horribly on it's materials and build quality. Generous.
Yup, Volvo really damned if they do, damned if they don't on this one. Better to just get quality control right the first time. Similarly silly that the faulty alumi-plastic trim on the steering wheel is cutting people.

Hire some guys from Honda if needed, but figure it out please Volvo!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Our dealer mechanic said that Volvo had tried to switch to a more "environmentally-friendly" adhesive. Doesn't stick obviously. And now the roads are littered with Volvo emblems. True or not, it makes a good story.....

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Our dealer mechanic said that Volvo had tried to switch to a more "environmentally-friendly" adhesive. Doesn't stick obviously. And now the roads are littered with Volvo emblems. True or not, it makes a good story.....
I continue to read "environmentally friendly" regarding paint and adhesive. What is that intended to mean? The off-gas during application?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have no problem with environmentally friendly materials, but how about testing stuff BEFORE it goes into production?

It's really not that hard - and a car with generally poor attention to quality control could become a death trap. Seriously, if NASA also took the attitude that "we can just extend the warranty if it doesn't work," we would be killing alot more astronauts.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have no problem with environmentally friendly materials.
I do. Because they don't work. Or they would simply be called responsible improvements. And besides, is Volvo worried that the adhesive would be dangerous to armadillos when they lick it laying on the highway where it fell off?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had mine replaced today. Took no more than 15 minutes. Was reminded this is not a recall, but rather an "extended warranty" issue. (Ahem....)

Now waiting for the logo on my wife's XC70 to self destruct. :)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Ever consider that the adhesive manufactured and applied wasn't up to speck to what Volvo approved to use and it has nothing to do with Volvo but everything to do with the company that made the ill-compounded adhesive? Why does everyone always assume it's all Volvo's fault? Kinda hard to do quality control check on a little strip of glue, you know? Stuff like this happens to EVERY auto company. This seems like such a non-issue in my eyes....you've never seen another car with it's emblem missing because the glue fell off?!? This just happened to my $350,000 John Deere tractor the other day, logo fell off that was glued on. Good for Volvo to cover it under warranty...just slap it on while right on the service drive and go. No big deal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
...it has nothing to do with Volvo but everything to do with the company that made the...
Under this approach, Volvo "has nothing to do with" most parts in the car, so I would have to disagree with you.

Like most makes, Volvo relies on a number of third-party suppliers for many different parts in the car. But in order for the car to work, it needs to insist on demonstrated quality of all of these suppliers and their parts. That includes, among many things, serious, verifiable testing.

The reason Honda is always number 1 in reliability is that it takes huge responsibility for this and prioritizes it. Can't demonstrate quality in your spec and in reality? You will not be able to sell anything into a Honda car. Period.

You are right that this particular part failure is small by itself. But it reflects a testing/quality control problem. I would like to see Volvo be the company that has Japanese-level quality with German-level performance (I actually think it's the closest today, which is why I have bought two). So it needs to own this, not just punt it to suppliers after the fact.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shoot...after my blue sticker fell off and since my car was out of warranty, I bought one from a Volvo dealer online for $20 and installed it. Wish I would have known...

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Bring your receipt back in for your purchased sticker.....you can be reimbursed for your expense in an extended warranty situation like this....happens all the time.

I understand Volvo is responsible for who makes there stuff, but after actually working in the industry I understand first hand how you can hold the hand of your supplier and STILL have issues. Perhaps Volvo fired the supplier after this? I mean we don't know what all went down, which is why on something so small as this it seems people are OUTRAGED at Volvo. That's what I find silly.

And as for all the quality control of the Japanese people keep referring too, after working for Lexus for years you might just start to wonder exactly where this great reputation came from. All sorts of problems with quality, and it's often suppliers. Remember when RX350s started to be built in both Japan and Canada? Our store selectively sold the Canada built cars....if you were a "key/influential" customer for us you only got a RX built in Japan, because the Canadian ones had all sorts of problems. For example the alternators failed frequently, because they had a different supplier than the Japan RXs..... That's just one example.

I get your point, but still....there is only so much you can do until you actually discover the problem. It's that point when you show what kind of company you are. I'd say covering all cars now for the sticker is a good sign they know where the bread is buttered.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't disagree with VolvoFaRmeR here much. My issue is IF the key argument is that it was an "environmentally friendly" claimed adhesive. That'd be ridiculous and a big miss on Volvo's part, not the supplier. If Volvo sacrificed quality in the name of environmental PR, then I'd be annoyed.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
I don't blame Volvo here. I think they're trying to do the right thing in multiple ways... "Environmentally friendly" adhesives is the right way to go and often covered by regulation ("VOC reduction"). And, now that there's been an ongoing problem, they've extended the coverage for replacement.

There just is no way to test for every condition of use, every condition of application. The US built a whole series of rifles that had "fragile" receivers (main body). It turned out that the outside temperature and lighting affected how the heat treatment was applied and verified by the workers. They followed all the procedures and thought they were building to specification. Don't take my word for it, check out "M1903 low serial number".

How is any of this bad?

I haven't gotten my letter yet but my car is certainly in the affected range.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Shoot...after my blue sticker fell off and since my car was out of warranty, I bought one from a Volvo dealer online for $20 and installed it. Wish I would have known...
Call VCNA. I'm willing to bet they'll reimburse you.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
"Environmentally friendly" adhesives is the right way to go and often covered by regulation ("VOC reduction")...

How is any of this bad?
VOC reduction relative to a dime size application of adhesive? Really? Sorry, but there is zero environmental impact. Period. This is purely marketing BS. It's not bad (unless your car is badged as a " ". I just isn't any good.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
VOC reduction relative to a dime size application of adhesive? Really? Sorry, but there is zero environmental impact. Period. This is purely marketing BS. It's not bad (unless your car is badged as a " ". I just isn't any good.
1 dime sized blob times how many cars? It does add up.

And it could be the vendor who is making the change to reduce the emissions of their product overall.

Try to buy some house or general purpose paint these days. Either the can is labeled "not for sale in California" or "Complies with CA VOC regulations". Like that can of paint (or even all the paint rustoleum sells in CA really makes a difference).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Think they'll still honor it one month later? This is a problem for the used 2010 S80 I'm picking up at the end of this month. Other than a warranty replacement, anyone know the right/best part number? The emblem is still there but the "Volvo" blue lettering has worn or fallen away. I'm assuming that's the same as everyone else's issues.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'll ask next week when I take in the RD for 40k mile service AND front RDesign emblem replacement! Mine got tired and let go sometime in the past few weeks. Stupid POS glue. Somebody at Volvo purchasing should be flogged.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.