SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people,

I've read a few threads here on extended warranties and am writing about issues specific to my wife's car. We're considering the Volvo warranty offered by dealers. IMO, this is worthwhile if there are known issues that would be covered and which would cost more than the warranty.

I wonder if forum members with cars of this vintage (2008+) have experienced any major drivetrain, electrical or other problems that have been covered (pr not) by a warranty.

This model is the I6, non-turbo, bought a year ago with about 40,000 miles. We've had very few problems. Our next newest Volvo, 2002 V70XC needed a rebuilt transmission a couple of years ago. That's the kind of expense I would like to avoid.

Thanks for any input!

Josh

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thus far on my 2008 S80 I have had zero major issues (it's a T6). The only recurring problem I've had is that the hood latch, which has already been replaced under warranty once before, often malfunctions and sets the alarm off or gives warnings about the hood being open when it isn't. With that said I'll likely purchase an additional year or two of warranty coverage when mine is up just to be on the safe side. I won't be anywhere near the mileage limit so adding an additional year or two may be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
The way I look at it, its similar to a health insurance policy. If you have health insurance and don't get sick, you LOSE. But everybody knows health insurance is a good idea because we can't predict the future...

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It is worthwhile to get the extended warranty. I have taken one and it pays itself off in the first claim.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The brake booster vacuum pump on mine failed, and apparently that's pretty common. $400 part plus something for installation. (I didn't have to pay.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts