SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning on ordering a 2017 OSD XC90 T6 once the order books open up. Like many here we are in a dilemma about whether or not to get the air suspension option.

How many of you current owners have purchased an extended warranty. Does the extended warranty cover the air suspension system? We keep our cars for at least 10 years so once the b2b warranty runs out I would like to be covered.

Any info you can give on what warranty to get, cost and coverage will be greatly appreciated. I hope to drive both suspension setups in the next few days and decide if we will go for the air setup.

Thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We are planning on ordering a 2017 OSD XC90 T6 once the order books open up. Like many here we are in a dilemma about whether or not to get the air suspension option.

How many of you current owners have purchased an extended warranty. Does the extended warranty cover the air suspension system? We keep our cars for at least 10 years so once the b2b warranty runs out I would like to be covered.

Any info you can give on what warranty to get, cost and coverage will be greatly appreciated. I hope to drive both suspension setups in the next few days and decide if we will go for the air setup.

Thank you.
I tend to own my cars for a long time also. Call Mike at Steingold Volvo - I got a Volvo extended warranty - 8 year - 120K mile - $200 deductible for $2,700. I purchased a Momentum plus without air suspension - so yours may cost more. You will need a vin number.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Thank you.
I got the full 8 year extended warranty with no deductible and the full VIP with no deductible. Personally, I think its worth the extra expense up front as many visits with $300 price tags and $200 payments can add up fast over time.

You can purchase the warranties from any Volvo dealer and I was able to negotiate a price based on other prices I received.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I tend to own my cars for a long time also. Call Mike at Steingold Volvo - I got a Volvo extended warranty - 8 year - 120K mile - $200 deductible for $2,700. I purchased a Momentum plus without air suspension - so yours may cost more. You will need a vin number.
$2,700 is an awesome price! When I ordered my car, dealer gave me an estimated quote of around 5K for the 8 year / 120K mile because of no VIN number. I'm in Los Angeles, but I'll first call Steingold then see if my dealer will match.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Who underwrites these warranties? Are they provided by VCNA or is it some third party insurer who underwrites these things?

And has anyone owned these in the past? Especially someone like 9volvos who's had multiple Volvos in the past. Any issues on actually making claims with these things? Does the experience feel the same when you're into extended warranty zone as it does when you need to get an issue fixed during the period when the factory warranty is still in place?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Gentlemen.

The Volvo extended warranty seems like the one to get. $2700 is cheaper than I thought it would be. Good to know that you can buy the warranty from any Volvo dealer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Question...which extended warranty did you get from Steingold...the Exclusionary Plan?

Also..why buy now instead of waiting to see how the car does in the next couple years? Do Volvo VIP plans tend to go up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Question...which extended warranty did you get from Steingold...the Exclusionary Plan?

Also..why buy now instead of waiting to see how the car does in the next couple years? Do Volvo VIP plans tend to go up?

The Volvo VIP Exclusionary Plan. The plans go up the longer you wait and the more miles you have. I got my plan before I picked up my vehicle with 10 miles. There are multiple combinations you can get. As 9Volvos pointed our you can go with a zero deductible which is a very good option.

Bottom-line: I spent a lot time and effort researching transportation options for my wife and kids. I selected the XC90 for similar reasons most people on this board chose the vehicle. I am making a large investment in my family's primary mode of transportation that I plan to own a long time and am taking the mindset of rolling the extended warranty into the price of my car similar to an accessory or option. Some people do not own their cars long so an investment in the B&W sound system makes more sense to them than investing in a warranty. In the end, I am walking away with a great car and with an 8 year 120 mile warranty. To me this is a great deal when compared to something like the new Q7 that would cost me more for a similar build, less attractive vehicle - but without the warranty.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Can someone who purchased the extended warranty please list the different options you were offered? I'm really interested to know what they are.

I can't get anything from the dealers without a VIN.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can someone who purchased the extended warranty please list the different options you were offered? I'm really interested to know what they are.

I can't get anything from the dealers without a VIN.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone
Why do they require a VIN before giving a quote?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Who underwrites these warranties? Are they provided by VCNA or is it some third party insurer who underwrites these things?

And has anyone owned these in the past? Especially someone like 9volvos who's had multiple Volvos in the past. Any issues on actually making claims with these things? Does the experience feel the same when you're into extended warranty zone as it does when you need to get an issue fixed during the period when the factory warranty is still in place?
You can download most of the warranty agreements from Steingold. I do not have experience with the Volvo plans. My experience with an extended warranty plan through Toyota was like it was a non-deductible, full-coverage factory warranty. The dealer handled it all and I had no issues (new short block and rebuilt engine at 59K).

Since Volvo offers multiple options, you would want to match up costs and benefits with what you want. For instance, I did not know about a deductible until I read about it here on the forum. I personally would always get an extended warranty that is sold by the dealer and that the manufacturer supports.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Has any of you considered Mechanical Breakdown Insurance? GEICO is one of the companies that offers it and its good for 7 years or 100K miles. In terms of cost the yearly estimate that I got was around $200. There is a $250 deductible but it seems to be cheaper than the extended warranty.

Here's the link L https://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/
On the surface, this MBI coverage looks pretty good but I would insist on a copy of the warranty agreement to review first. There are two things that I would point out:
1. Your car must be insured by Geico as a condition to getting MBI. You likely cannot buy MBI on its own. I deciphered that through the marketing speak.
2. This MBI is secondary coverage. You must rely on your car manufacturer's warranty as primary which means that you must have warranty service done by an authorized Volvo shop. If you don't, you may not be covered under Volvo's policy and you would not be covered under Geico's MBI. Read this exclusion on Geico's website:

"Exclusions to this policy include regular maintenance services such as tune-ups, suspension alignment, wheel balancing, filters, lubrication, coolant and fluids, spark plugs, brake pads and linings, brake shoes, and tires. Also, breakdown repairs made necessary by intentional damage, corrosion, misuse, or improper maintenance are not covered. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance coverage is in excess of coverage provided by your manufacturer's warranty. Read the policy amendment for the complete terms and conditions of this coverage."

Contrary to Geico's marketing, you reall CANNOT get your repairs done anywhere during your car manufacturer's warranty period - lest you risk voiding coverage by the auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why do they require a VIN before giving a quote?
I don't know the exact reason. I just know that the two dealers stated they need a VIN to give me an exact quote.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
70 Posts
Contrary to Geico's marketing, you reall CANNOT get your repairs done anywhere during your car manufacturer's warranty period - lest you risk voiding coverage by the auto manufacturer.
Yep aside from the fact that you're stuck with GEICO for the length of the MBI, any breakdown during your car manufacturer's warranty period would be covered by that warranty ... no? Any extended warranty or MBI covers you for the period or mileage after your original warranty. All the exclusions listed are the same for any extended warranty that you buy as well. I did read that you can get an MBI from a third party - may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Yep aside from the fact that you're stuck with GEICO for the length of the MBI, any breakdown during your car manufacturer's warranty period would be covered by that warranty ... no? .../QUOTE]

Yes, you are correct that the OEM warranty would cover that period. My only caveat was that you must have that work done by an authorized Volvo shop. Geico's marketing of the MBI suggests that your MBI work can be done anywhere. That may be true "post OEM" warranty, but during OEM. Good find, though, for people who might be interested in Geico coverage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yep aside from the fact that you're stuck with GEICO for the length of the MBI, any breakdown during your car manufacturer's warranty period would be covered by that warranty ... no? Any extended warranty or MBI covers you for the period or mileage after your original warranty. All the exclusions listed are the same for any extended warranty that you buy as well. I did read that you can get an MBI from a third party - may be worth looking into.
An extended warranty from the car company is usually the best choice. I know from experience that it is for Volvo. It is one way that they are very good.

The VIP service warranty with zero deductible is gives you about $7000 (today's prices} worth of service and parts across all the covered 10.000 mile service periods. If any other non-warranty problem pops up, aside from body damage, you just bring the car in and the fixit. The zero deductible means that you are more likely to bring the SUV in -- you'll never have to pay anything.

·
Registered
301 Posts
An extended warranty from the car company is usually the best choice. I know from experience that it is for Volvo. It is one way that they are very good.

The VIP service warranty with zero deductible is gives you about $7000 (today's prices} worth of service and parts across all the covered 10.000 mile service periods. If any other non-warranty problem pops up, aside from body damage, you just bring the car in and the fixit. The zero deductible means that you are more likely to bring the SUV in -- you'll never have to pay anything.
Can you break down the different deductibles with the costs? I wonder what the difference is from a $0 deductible to a $500 deductible.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is a page on Volvo's website that lists what is not covered which I believe is more important. It does not list air suspension as a not covered component.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 20 of 25 Posts