SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m questioning whether the prepaid services and wear protection plans are of value. The wear plans cover brakes and rotors for 3 yrs but I thought a lot of people were having those covered under regular warranty during that period anyway. The prepaid services works out to about $480 per service which I thought they were around that anyway- is that not the case? Could anyone also advise whether gold coverage for extended warranty is enough for a t5 momentum?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I’m questioning whether the prepaid services and wear protection plans are of value. The wear plans cover brakes and rotors for 3 yrs but I thought a lot of people were having those covered under regular warranty during that period anyway. The prepaid services works out to about $480 per service which I thought they were around that anyway- is that not the case? Could anyone also advise whether gold coverage for extended warranty is enough for a t5 momentum?
Depends on many factors - I don’t think the maintenance is worth it for brakes.

in my case my rear brakes went out 2 times and front still gold meaning you will probably get one brake job. Also, brake jobs can be done anywhere and for way less with better parts.

I don’t believe there is anything major for first 75k miles except for spark plugs and brake fluid replace every 3 years (again can be done cheaper) and if your a little hands on, you can do service yourself for oil and filter.

Now VIP extended mechanical breakdown warranty’s I do recommend - but maintenance plan not worth it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

in my case my rear brakes went out 2 times and front still gold meaning you will probably get one brake job. Also, brake jobs can be done anywhere and for way less with better parts.

I don’t believe there is anything major for first 75k miles except for spark plugs and brake fluid replace every 3 years (again can be done cheaper) and if your a little hands on, you can do service yourself for oil and filter.

Now VIP extended mechanical breakdown warranty’s I do recommend - but maintenance plan not worth it.
Thanks for the advice. Yes, I think I’ll get the vip warranty bc I do have the advanced package and worry about malfunctions and fixes with those sensors and cameras.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I opted for the Volvo Platinum prepaid maintenance plan just last week. I am at 36k miles on my 2018 V90CC and bought the service plan (7 services, from 40k to 100k miles) for $1900 from my local Volvo dealership (Steingold Volvo quotes around $2150-2200 for the same). So now, each of my next services will end up costing me around $270, which is much cheaper than what I've read people here pay for their service.

From where did you get the $480/service number? That seems awfully high to me (unless you're not signing up for the prepaid plan and paying your dealership at each and every visit). I'm getting it at almost half the cost to what you have mentioned. Please check Steingold Volvo for much better rates on prepaid service maintenance plans.

I opted out from the wear maintenance (brakes, wipes, etc.) as I put a lot of highway miles so I don't consume consumables as much a normal city-driver would. Also, I plan to upgrade to the BBK once my current OEM brakes start giving up on me so they wear maintenance was an unnecessary expense for me, IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I opted for the Volvo Platinum prepaid maintenance plan just last week. I am at 36k miles on my 2018 V90CC and bought the service plan (7 services, from 40k to 100k miles) for $1900 from my local Volvo dealership (Steingold Volvo quotes around $2150-2200 for the same). So now, each of my next services will end up costing me around $270, which is much cheaper than what I've read people here pay for their service.

From where did you get the $480/service number? That seems awfully high to me (unless you're not signing up for the prepaid plan and paying your dealership at each and every visit). I'm getting it at almost half the cost to what you have mentioned. Please check Steingold Volvo for much better rates on prepaid service maintenance plans.

I opted out from the wear maintenance (brakes, wipes, etc.) as I put a lot of highway miles so I don't consume consumables as much a normal city-driver would. Also, I plan to upgrade to the BBK once my current OEM brakes start giving up on me so they wear maintenance was an

unnecessary expense for me, IMO.
Service plan rates from steingold! I’ll ask local dealer as I pick up the car mid week. Their 7 service plan is 322 per service right now. I don’t know if I’ll be keeping it that long which is why I was only going to add 3 services. Figured that’s 6 yrs from now and prob when I’d be looking for something new.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
And don’t forget that all the Prepaid Maintenance Plans include Key Replacement coverage for up to $400 per year if lost or broken - another huge bonus
Oh! Did not know that. Thank you for the information, XC60R-Design.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Service plan rates from steingold! I’ll ask local dealer as I pick up the car mid week. Their 7 service plan is 322 per service right now. I don’t know if I’ll be keeping it that long which is why I was only going to add 3 services. Figured that’s 6 yrs from now and prob when I’d be looking for something new.
The plan IS transferable. I confirmed it before I signed on the dotted line. So if you end up selling your car, you do not lose out on everything.
But also, I put close to 40k miles a year so maybe 2-3 more years and my V90CC will be in 6 figures.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a lease that's coming to an end in a few months but I think I will buy out the car. 3/36 on maintenance will run out at that time but will still have 4/50 main coverage left for a year at least.
What can I expect to pay if I buy extended warranty for the 4/50 from dealer? Is the extended warranty honored at any Volvo dealer?

·
Registered
8,738 Posts

lol, why do people think Volvo puts ****ty brakes on their cars? Their rotors are unsurpassable in life and durability. any pad you get that isn't Volvo is going to be a compromise, because Volvo has the OES make subtle changes to the pads that are hard to notice. Take R brake pads for instance, yeah they look like any Brembo pad you can get for an STI or CTS-V, but Volvo has one side of the pad chamfered to cut down on noise.

Only difference you can make is going to an indy to save on the install labor. A good indy will lean towards Volvo brake parts too.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I opted out from the wear maintenance (brakes, wipes, etc.) as I put a lot of highway miles so I don't consume consumables as much a normal city-driver would. Also, I plan to upgrade to the BBK once my current OEM brakes start giving up on me so they wear maintenance was an unnecessary expense for me, IMO.

I was quoted like $600 bucks for the spark plug maintenance (all filters, oil, spark plugs) and minors typically cost 170 (every 2, 6, etc) with major costing 300 (every 4, 8 etc) And brakes will cost around 300 for just pads so seems right.

·
Registered
74 Posts

lol, why do people think Volvo puts ****ty brakes on their cars? Their rotors are unsurpassable in life and durability. any pad you get that isn't Volvo is going to be a compromise, because Volvo has the OES make subtle changes to the pads that are hard to notice. Take R brake pads for instance, yeah they look like any Brembo pad you can get for an STI or CTS-V, but Volvo has one side of the pad chamfered to cut down on noise.

Only difference you can make is going to an indy to save on the install labor. A good indy will lean towards Volvo brake parts too.
Lots of places prefer Bosch brakes pads/rotors which are quiet - also racing brakes rotors (holes cut like motorcycles) would be a step up too. Volvo rotors brakes are good but the don’t necessarily last - my rear rotors were replaced the first brake job under S/S and fronts still going strong (rotors/pads in rear then pads all around every 30k).

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
those bosch quietcast are such garbage. Bought an entire parts inventory from a guy who stocked those, complete garbage pads and rotors. was so glad to get rid of that crap.

·
Registered
298 Posts
And don’t forget that all the Prepaid Maintenance Plans include Key Replacement coverage for up to $400 per year if lost or broken - another huge bonus
Does it cover the sport key out of battery as well? I bought a Prepaid Maintenance Plan few months ago. The dashboard showed a low battery warning when using the sport key yesterday.

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts