SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just had a question regarding a good tune for my S70 T5 (98, auto, 170kms) I'm hoping to just achieve a little over stock, like 10-15%, and crossing my fingers I might be able to get some more torque down low:D

I'm at Stage negative 0.5. T-Belt/water pump done, spark plugs/rotor/cap recently done, new serp belt, & a K&N Air filter (stock airbox). Stock suspension works for me, and I have some good all seasons.. Only thing I haven't done is PCV. Want to do an exhaust upgrade as well!

I was looking at either the ARD white or Orange tune. Can anyone report on effectiveness or preference for tunes like this? I don't think I can find a Volvo tuner nearby.. shelf tunes might be my only option. Would appreciate input as I haven't been able to find much info on these tunes for x70s specifically.

Thanks Fam.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Well if it's a good tune you want, you DO NOT want an ARD tune.

Where are you located anyway?

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Check out Beust tuning. A custom tune is really the only "safe" option.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My ARD green tune has been fine in my 98 V70 T5M. It performs as advertised. I will likely upgrade to a custom tune at some point, but it has been fine for the year I have run it. Mine was purchased used.

A custom tune is obviously a better option but will also require additional work on your end. You need to install an air fuel ratio gauge which requires an additional bung in your exhaust. Then you need to data log and send the results to the tuner in order for him to adjust the tune to your car.

For the modest gains you are seeking and ARD tune should be fine. Since the ecu is simply plug and play there is nothing to it.

Before you do anything, check your wastegate setting and see when it opens. You can adjust it to make the boost come on a bit sooner which can greatly impact the way the car performs. It won't have more boost, it will just come on sooner. Google it, make a simple hand pump and go from there. Another thing that can help is new intercooler hoses. When I got my car the hoses were so old they collapsed under boost.

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if it's a good tune you want, you DO NOT want an ARD tune.

Where are you located anyway?
Kelowna, BC. 4 hours' drive from Vancouver, and I go there fairly often. However, like I said I'm not looking for an amazing tune, just something to improve it from stock. I don't want to be running crazy boost and timing because hey, I'm still a student and a quicker car means more $$ on gas. I'm okay with that TO a point.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you do anything, check your wastegate setting and see when it opens. You can adjust it to make the boost come on a bit sooner which can greatly impact the way the car performs. It won't have more boost, it will just come on sooner. Google it, make a simple hand pump and go from there. Another thing that can help is new intercooler hoses. When I got my car the hoses were so old they collapsed under boost.
I have not investigated that yet! Is there a place you could link me to with more information? My intercooler hoses I believe are fine, does upgrading them improve performance noticeably?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6V3G-yfh8

At 6 min in they show you the procedure with the turbo out of the car so you can see everything more easily and the turbo they use for that example is similar to what you will find in your car.

I made a wastegate adjustment tool using the following:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPINHA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RWB03W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

You could do it for less if you can find just the hand pump part of the blood pressure tester thingy.

It is pretty simple to do. I have my wastegate set at 7ish pounds. Start lower than that and see what feels good to you. Don't make it too tight or the boost will come on too soon leading to problems like bent rods.

As far as hoses are concerned, if they are not extremely mushy then they are probably fine. Do you have a boost gauge? It can tell you a lot about how your car is running and I would recommend installing one. It doesn't have to be fancy. I think mine was $30.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have one of their tunes for my '98. At this stage it's exactly what I want; stock-like behavior with a bit more boost when I floor it, and an extremely reasonable price. No issues whatsoever. I tested and adjusted my wastegate, and replaced my TCV and hoses at the same time.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am about to do the same thing with a 2000 V70 XC with a 2.4 low pressure Turbo. 19X HP Stock. Putting on a16T Turbo, and seriously considering the ARD Green (?? is that the one??) tune. for less than HALF of IPD or a CUSTOM Tune, I bet I will be just Happy, Happy, Happy!!!

Don't get me WRONG!! I LOVE IPD!!! Have LOT's of their stuff.. used it on my 2004 S60R, ETC. Made 740 Turbo's outrun Mustangs, etc. Just not what I need for a $1200 V70 XC I bought off C.L. First I have to find the Vibrations, and fix or convert to FWD before the cheap HP is turned on!!!

I agree with the Waste Gate Adjustment, but I DONT think I would EVER set it at 7 PSI stock????? That's asking for trouble. Even with an IPD Tune they only suggest a 2.3 HPT, or a 2.4 LPT with a 16T to be set to about 3.4 or 3.6 if I recall????

Paul Reason
ATL, GA.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What about that cheap ARD Tune linked above???

That previously flashed ECU wont work with a 2000 Model car as a straight up ECU swap will it??

I thought I understood the 2000 to be VIN number Specific?? This is due to the change in the MOTRONIC Version right?? If not, then I will (If nobody else does) buy that one on VS and see if it works like we hope!!!

Paul Reason

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Cheap and tune should not be in the same sentence. Ever.

A 1998 ecu will never work in a me7 car. ECU is vin locked. Me 4.4 ecu will not work in your me7 car. The ARD tune is rudimentarily a boost increase and then fuel as the computer tries to match it, crude at best.

JetPaul, check out Hilton Tuning. The 16t will require blue injectors to run properly rich and not burn up your valves or lean out and power starve. A custom tailored tune from hilton shouldn't run you more than $350. With logging and tweaking its the best bet to not blow up your motor.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Cheap and tune should not be in the same sentence. Ever.

A 1998 ecu will never work in a me7 car. ECU is vin locked. Me 4.4 ecu will not work in your me7 car. The ARD tune is rudimentarily a boost increase and then fuel as the computer tries to match it, crude at best.

JetPaul, check out Hilton Tuning. The 16t will require blue injectors to run properly rich and not burn up your valves or lean out and power starve. A custom tailored tune from hilton shouldn't run you more than $350. With logging and tweaking its the best bet to not blow up your motor.
This isn't all true. A cheap tune would be fine if it is set up for your car. If a Hilton tune cost $20 it would still be good. IPD has spent years selling $600 off the shelf tunes. Are they better because they cost more? They certainly aren't custom. People still seem to respect them as a company.

The 16T with a tune does NOT require blue injectors, whites and blues flow the exact same, the higher (395cc) blue number is just what they flow at a higher pressure. They are interchangeable. I ran an ARD Green tune in my car with a stock exhaust and white injectors for almost a year and it was fine. It was actually better than fine, it was quick and fun and drove great. It still does, I have just made more upgrades since. But I still have the cheap, crappy, off the shelf tune that embarrasses folks, gets good fuel mileage and makes the car run like a cut cat. Is it as fast as it could be? No. Has the expense, time and frustration of adding an AFR gauge, getting a lap top, installing the tuning software, figuring out how to data log, sending the logs to a tuner, updating, etc, seemed worth it to me so I can eek out a few more HP? Absolutely not. Once you punch the throttle and the wheels spin you are putting down plenty of power. I don't much care if my car is slower than it "could be."

At the end of the day you need to decide how fast is fast enough and how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
IPD - I paid double. And that's from a fan and long time customer. Their tune is not done in house, it's farmed out. You really need to be careful on me7 cars since just bumping up fuel and boost is a recipe for knock and detonation.

The XC and all low pressure turbos come with orange injectors so to provide enough fuel and match the ecu for a 16t you need to upgrade to blues or whites. Seaway is correct in saying they're the same, just flow different at the different fuel pressures of pre 99 and post 99 cars.

For my tuning project in not looking for a specific horsepower just a better than stock performance level optimized for the upgrades in exhaust, intercooler and intake. Really only looking for a fuel, boost and ignition map that has perfect AFR and no ignition pull. Even stock doesn't have that. It's not about power as much as drive ability and reliability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Appreciate the responses fellas.

Seaway, I'm definitely with you on that. Like I said in the beginning, I am not chasing HP. All I want is a pit more punch than stock. And again, I did ask if anyone had experience with the ARD white and orange tunes. I'm not even 100% sure what turbo/injectors are in my car, maybe someone can enlighten? '98 T5? I'm not really looking to replace injectors anyways.

If adjusting the wastegate setting is all I need for a bit more punch, great! If it's a tune.... I'd prefer LESS than 200 US cause really guys, buying anything from the states right now is a friggin kick in the nuts.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
16t and whites in a 98 t5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
No experience with white or orange, but I DO have the ARD Green tune in my '98R (16T turbo) and it is VERY good. I previously had the IPD tune and the green tune kicks its ass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts