SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

481 - 500 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Our 04 XC70 has the same thing happening, had to go in and wiggle the wire/contact on the starter solenoid* and got a big surprise on how much oil was clinging to the underside of the intercooler to throttlebody plate (intake) tube. Does this mean the seals in the turbo are starting to leak and it pools there?

* dismaying that this had to be done, when I changed out the PCV ~ 4 years ago really cleaned up that starter contact and used a very high grade terminal protectant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Our 04 XC70 has the same thing happening, had to go in and wiggle the wire/contact on the starter solenoid*

* dismaying that this had to be done, when I changed out the PCV ~ 4 years ago really cleaned up that starter contact and used a very high grade terminal protectant.
What worked for me on that starter wire was to take a small pliers and crimp down a little on the end of the clip to make a snugger, tighter connection.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
Out with the old, in with the new! Takes some wiggling to pull the radiator and intercooler from the top. But, doable. Took 3 engineers to get it back in! It does push the AC condenser forward a little bit. Now, the brackets for the transmission cooler won't fit. I noticed that the Nissens radiator has 52 rows while the OEM has 44.

On the bad news front, there's transmission fluid dripping from between the engine and transmission. Not enough to escape the shield under the engine, yet. That's just freaking wonderful!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Reconnected most of the plumbing. Cut about 1/2" off the top radiator hose. It was rubbing against the hood insulation. Fixed a couple of wire looms. Installed a new boost pressure sensor.

PCV hose, PTC valve inspection, oil cooler, and reassembly for tomorrow.

·
Registered
2006 d5 V70
60 Posts
It's a shame it's a pita, because it certainly is pretty.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #486 · (Edited)
Well, did a test fit of the upper radiator support. The extra 1/2" in intercooler thickness is causing problems. Had to remove the rubber strip that sits against the condenser to get it close to fitting. But, the top AC port is partially covered. Granted, the top of the stack still needs to be tilted back about 1/4". But that still won't provide enough clearance. Nothing is ever easy as it should be.

With everything lined up, it barely fits. Looks like I'll need to grind out about 1/8" to make sure there's room to get the cap off and any fittings on.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I thought these kits were supposed to be drop in....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
Not sure if there's something different here, but here's my DO88 and aftermarket condenser.
Hmmm. Maybe the cap on the aftermarket condenser is smaller?

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
I thought these kits were supposed to be drop in....

Well, it pretty much is. But, it's 1/2" thicker. So, some adjustments are needed. I could bend the top radiator brackets and tilt it back farther. But, that will push the lower part of the stack farther forward. Not sure what problems that might create.

One thing that concerns me is the weight of it. The plastic radiator supports that weight. It's a larger lever arm as the center of gravity has moved forward. So, it potentially stresses the radiator mounting points. Time will tell.

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Mine fit perfectly. This is interesting cause the wagon is 1.5” longer in the front (seriously) so fitment on do88 kits usually is perfect in regards to that port lining up with the hole. Has your car ever been in an accident? Disclosed or not?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Mine fit perfectly. This is interesting cause the wagon is 1.5” longer in the front (seriously) so fitment on do88 kits usually is perfect in regards to that port lining up with the hole. Has your car ever been in an accident? Disclosed or not?
Exactly, more room than the sedan up there

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
This is the piece I was missing. By bending the upper radiator mounts forward 12mm, you have to push back the top of the radiator to get them to line up.

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Nice, so it fits after doing that?

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #496 ·
Nice, so it fits after doing that?

I didn't have a chance to check today. Work sucked up most of my afternoon.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #497 ·
Upper breather hose installed. Old one had a 1/2" crack in it just above the breather box. The rest of the hose was fine. So much for a non-Volvo part. I was a newbie at the time I put it in. Know better now. All my oetiker clamps were too small. So, a screw clamps to the rescue! Cleaned the ETM. It was pretty clean since it was done 40k miles ago. Getting the ETM back on is fun. Reconnected the intercooler to ETM tube. Broke one of the clips on the ETM connector taking it off. One out of two will have to do!

Might tackle the PTC valve tomorrow. Since I'm installing a catch can, I can just cut the hose and not have to mess around with the clamp while it's still in the car.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #498 ·
Pulled the MAF to turbo tube to check the PTC. It was clean. Cleaned a little oily film out of the tube near the turbo. Replaced all the turbo to TCV hoses with silicone tubing.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Where'd you get the tubing? Presumably I'll need to do this eventually

·
Registered
861 Posts
Does the condenser/intercooler/radiator drop out the bottom as one unit? Or swing out the top?

481 - 500 of 542 Posts