SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

461 - 480 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The chunk-o-aluminum has arrived! It's pretty hefty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
So beautiful

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
One of those OH ITS ACTUALLY WORTH THE PRICE moments

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Now I have to decide if I replace the radiator and AC condenser while I have it apart. After almost 14 years and over 180k miles, it's probably the prudent thing to do. It's only $$$!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #467 ·
Condenser isn't hard do on it's own later on, I would only replace it if all the fins are bent to hell and is impeding air flow significantly.
The lower fins are getting pretty bent up.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Now I have to decide if I replace the radiator and AC condenser while I have it apart. After almost 14 years and over 180k miles, it's probably the prudent thing to do. It's only $$$!
Just took the free P2 radiator I had to the metal recycler (see free stuff thread)

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #470 ·
Picked up some 3/8" 90 deg stainless steel elbows for my transmission cooler lines. I currently have sharp 90 deg elbows that aren't good for flow. These came from the food service biz for a couple of bucks each.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #472 ·
One hour in. Time for a beer while the radiator drains!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #473 ·
Surprise, says the Volvo!

An oily mess on top of the oil trap. Looks like the hose from the top of the cylinder head is leaking where it clamps to the trap. Maybe some cracks in the hose right there. Hard to tell. The rest of the hose looks fine. Looks like I can get to it if I remove the ETM. All that was replaced 40k miles ago.

Looks like the inlet to the radiator is cracked. That explains the slight drip it's had for the past year.

So much for a productive afternoon!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
A lot of old oily gunk on the radiator side of the engine. Most appears to be from the previous PCV system. My indie didn't clean up the mess when he replaced the PCV system 3 years ago. Probably explains why I can smell hot oil occasionally. Time for some degreaser and a brush. Noticed a little oil around the intake rear cam seal. Nothing wet or dripping. That'll be part of the 200k mile service!

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
A little bit of goodness, my diesel oil cooler arrived from Lithuania today. Even had a bonus ounce or so of dirty oil! Flushed mineral spirits through it several times until it ran clear. I'll run some radiator cleaner through the coolant side.

The sad part of this is I ordered the oil O-rings the same day I ordered this. They shipped from TX. I still don't have them.

·
Registered
2006 d5 V70
60 Posts
A little bit of goodness, my diesel oil cooler arrived from Lithuania today. Even had a bonus ounce or so of dirty oil! Flushed mineral spirits through it several times until it ran clear. I'll run some radiator cleaner through the coolant side.

The sad part of this is I ordered the oil O-rings the same day I ordered this. They shipped from TX. I still don't have them.

Two q's. What's up with Lithuania and volvos? A lot of parts on ebay come from Lithuania. Is the oil cooler a replacement or do petrol v70s not have oil coolers.

Nice work over the last few weeks BTW. Your v70 is getting lots of love.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Two q's. What's up with Lithuania and volvos? A lot of parts on ebay come from Lithuania. Is the oil cooler a replacement or do petrol v70s not have oil coolers.

Nice work over the last few weeks BTW. Your v70 is getting lots of love.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Maybe more Volvo entrepreneurs in Lithuania? Turbo petrol engines have an oil cooler. The oil cooler on the diesel engines is larger. Ought to have plenty of them in the UK.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #478 · (Edited)
A little underhood repainting today. The cover is Honda Electron Blue Pearl (sacreligious, I know). I'd like to do the letters in silver. But, last time I attempted it, I ran into issues with the paint crinkling. Might try a paint marker this time. Repainted the OTE pipe as well. Also, cleaned and painted the cover screws.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #479 · (Edited)
Five fresh Bosch coils in and some wire looms replaced. Resealed the right headlight with some high flow silicone. We'll see if that fixes the leak when I run it through the car wash.

Cleaned all the intake piping between the turbo and intake. The newer pieces were pretty clean. The intercooler to intake pipe was messy. But, it's never been touched in 182k miles.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Reasonably cleaned up, at least as well as I can do while the car is immobile in the garage. Still, the oil I saw is bothering me. The car easily passes the idle and 2k RPM loaded glove test (at least 9 months ago). It's under full boost that has me wondering. The only piece of the boost PCV circuit that hasn't been checked is the PTC. Generally, they don't appear to be problematic. But, some people have found them to be pretty gummed up. It's something to check when I do the catch can.

461 - 480 of 542 Posts