SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer, I was lucky enough to pick up a set of used Vanilla BRC rims. I love them; I have always loved them and just assumed I would would never get a shot at owning a set.

They came with super-cheap 235/35-19 tires installed:

And I have suffered cracking. Lots of cracking. Like, 8 separate cracks over 3 of the wheels in the space of 3 months. I was running the tires at maximum pressure. These cracks were NOT the result of hitting big pot holes or something, I would just notice that pressure was getting really low and would find the crack(s).

All of the cracks have been professionally repaired, and I have replaced the super cheap "Velozza" tires with very nice Dunlops in 255/35-19, only test fitted before winter:

The tires are BIG; the front rubs a tad, but I figure a bigger sidewall is my best chance to prevent more cracking.
I never had this problem with my 18" American Racing rims. I asked this question before and didn't really get any useful information beyond one other person that has cracked a Vanilla wheel.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?237815-Vanilla-Performance-wheel-keeps-cracking

So, my questions:

Could the cheap tires have been a big contributor?
Are these Vanilla wheels just prone to cracking and I should cut my losses?
Would a higher quality set of 19" wheels be a better choice, or should I jump back to 18"?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are they replicas? If so, who is manufacturer? Are there BIN numbers on them?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Vanillas are by far the best looking aftermarket wheel for the P2R, I think. But they are prone to cracking. However I would fix that huge dent on your quarter panel before spending money on wheels lol. Eurosport tuning sells another set of wheels now that looks like them too.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Vanillas ARE BBS replicas

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dent has been fixed for a month. I agree they are the best looking wheel on this car I have ever seen.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Glad you fixed it! I was mainly kidding. You have the same car as me but wagon. Maybe they only crack in certain spots and once you fix them you're good? Possible? Did they crack in similar locations on the wheels?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
P
Vanillas ARE BBS replicas
They are Linea Corse Wheels LC818. Rebranded to Vanilla. Made by the same people in a limited run specifically for Volvo fitments; P1 and P2. As for BBS replicas,, not exactly, they are BBS inspired for sure but there is no BBS wheel that looks exactly like that. LC818 is of Linea Corse's own design. As for them cracking, I heard of it and since they are cast wheels, I'm not awfully surprised. However, LC818 are extremely popular wheels for other makes, not too much complaints about them reliability wise.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Oh shoot, I thought I read somewhere they were BBS reps. My bad.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All of the crack have been on the inside of the wheel, facing the suspension.

So, 2 of the wheels had cracked in the past:

The first time, I noticed a tire getting low, and I found 3 cracks, one of which was on the site of a poorly repaired existing crack. So, it could have re-cracked due to poor repair, and the other 2 cracks could have been from driving with low pressure.

The second time (different wheel) it was the same story, except 4 cracks, including one on a poor previous repair.

After the second time, I inspected all the wheels closely, and found a small crack starting on a third wheel, but it was not through yet and wasn't losing air. This was not at the site of a previous repair; and there is no telling how long it has been there.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are Linea Corse Wheels LC818. Rebranded to Vanilla. Made by the same people in a limited run. As for BBS replicas, not exactly, they are BBS inspired for sure but there is no BBS wheel that looks exactly like that. LC818 is of Linea Corse's own design. As for them
cracking, I heard of it and since they are cast wheels, I'm not awfully surprised.
I won't be considering forged wheels, because every one I have looked at was $1000+. So any replacement will be cast, but probably from a better brand and possibly with better casting tech, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
All of the crack have been on the inside of the wheel, facing the suspension.

So, 2 of the wheels had cracked in the past:

The first time, I noticed a tire getting low, and I found 3 cracks, one of which was on the site of a poorly repaired existing crack. So, it could have re-cracked due to poor repair, and the other 2 cracks could have been from driving with low pressure.

The second time (different wheel) it was the same story, except 4 cracks, including one on a poor previous repair.

After the second time, I inspected all the wheels closely, and found a small crack starting on a third wheel, but it was not through yet and wasn't losing air. This was not at the site of a previous repair; and there is no telling how long it has been there.
Were these wheels cracked and repaired before, like got them used? I suspect you may just have a bad set, like either lemon, or just damaged by previous owner. Since the wheels are cast metal, and repairs only sort of patches the wheel, it doesn't solve the issue of structural deterioration. Anytime you put high heat on it, it makes the alloy weaker.

I've had 3 sets of 19" wheels in the past 3 years. I haven't had one crack. The only one was a bend on one of my CKs (it still held air just fine) for running through a construction zone.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
But there were plenty of people on here talking about them cracking in the past.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Were these wheels cracked and repaired before, like got them used? I suspect you may just have a bad set, like either lemon, or just damaged by previous owner. Since the wheels are cast metal, and repairs only sort of patches the wheel, it doesn't solve the issue of structural deterioration. Anytime you put high heat on it, it makes the alloy weaker.

I've had 3 sets of 19" wheels in the past 3 years. I haven't had one crack. The only one was a bend on one of my CKs (it still held air just fine) for running through a construction zone.
2 of the 3 wheels that had cracks since I have owned them were on the site of a previous (****ty) repair. The other cracks on each of those wheels could have occurred from driving on the deflating tire before I realized it was going down.

One crack was on a 3rd wheel in a new site, but was not losing air. It could have occurred when the previous owner was using them.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
As stated above, Vanillas are prone to cracking, which is a shame because they do look awesome on our caRs.

Similar to Alfred, I've had 2 sets of 19" wheels since I've owned the caR and neither have had any cracks or bends, and I've driven through some big ass potholes with them. Like, to the point where I stopped the caR after and inspected the wheels and tires because I thought for sure I had destroyed something. But nada. FWIW, I had a set of Heico wheels and then my Audi reps I have now.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
They're cast wheels.

They're inexpensive.

They're going to crack when you smack the crap out of a pothole as it seems our caR's are a bit tough with the suspension.

The 19" VST wheels also cracked and they're an expensive as F*ck cast wheel.

My forged Boyd wheels didn't crack in 19" trim.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I thought the Vanillas were some dough

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I thought the Vanillas were some dough
Nah, maybe 1500-1600 per set shipped brand new when they were available. VSTs are way more, which are similar to Heico wheels in terms of pricing: A Volvo Tuning brand selling Cast wheels.

Real dough are like CCWs Forged 3 piece wheels like what Brandon (xUnique) has on his R. http://weldwheels.com/shop/ccwheel/hybrid/hybrid-sp16.html

Personally for me, I dreamt of getting a set of these TM-08 or these HB-04S previously. Until I got a kid, seems a bit of a distance now.

Instead of cracking wheels, wheels are more like crack for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
At 1500-1600 bucks a set they should last. Literally 10's of millions of cast wheels last the life of the car or truck. These short run zoot examples were all cast in the same process and that process had a problem. I have designed cast parts (with lots of help from the foundry) so I'll take a wild assed guess that the inboard of the wheel which is away from the mass of the supporting members and hub either has casting imperfections having to do not good flow and temperature during the pour or problems with the cooling process. Either way or some other way, you ended up being a guinea pig consumer paying too much. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
At 1500-1600 bucks a set they should last. Literally 10's of millions of cast wheels last the life of the car or truck.
Not entirely, too many things to factor in that causes failure. Bigfieroman is the second owner, so who knows what the first owner drove through to cause that, crappy tires, or it could as well be a badly made set. I'm sure there are Vanilla owners without any problems either, so you can't say that all of them are culprits.

Forge wheels can crack and bend too, it really depends on the impact/mishap/accidents you put them through.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts