SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Steffansson AB cat-back exhaust on my 854R (from Eurosport). I'm happy with the results except for the cannon tip. I'm considering putting on the stock 850 tip but was curious if anyone has tried anything else...I like the look of the oval C70 tip and thought about this as well.

[Modified by 854R, 2:42 PM 10-21-2002]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Exhaust tip thoughts (854R)

Brett,
Do you like the sound of the exhaust note? I am looking into upgrading my exhaust as well. ('96 850 R sedan exact color as yours) How much did you have to spend on the exhaust setup. I know IPD has good quality, but was trying to find other less-pricey alternatives. The tip looks like it protrudes quite a bit from the tail end of the car. I would like to have a deeper sounding exhaust, but do not want the extreme cheapo exhaust synonymous with japanese cars.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Exhaust tip thoughts (PATRICK)

Thanks Patrick...the sounds is nice, a good deep high-perf sound. At low speeds I "feel" more rumble and not sure I like that which should change with switching out the tip. My main goal was to get the increased performance but I, too, wasn't looking for anything too tuner....I like the stock look with a little "motorsport" added in. I hear that from most owners who have switched (including Swedespeed's project 854R) and think these companies are making a mistake using that tip.

This tip looks exactly the same as what IPD uses and ran $599 at Eurosport versus the $695 at IPD. Frank at Eurosport is extremely responsive to questions (quotes 12 hp/15 torque on this system) and is now working to switch out the tip.

I notice some difference in performance...more responsive and slightly quicker. Main reason for exhaust was to set up for ECU upgrade.

Also did rotors, pads and koni suspension recently...

Many thanks...good luck with yours, these are great cars (had 2 people wanting to buy it while it was being worked on at Swedish Imports who did the work http://www.benicetoyourvolvo.com )

·
Registered
222 Posts

Here is the only thing I will warn about going with the old tip or any other stock tip. The metal they use seems to rust really easily, atleast it has for me and most of the volvo's I have seen in the area. I dont know if its something about being a turbo, having hotter exhaust gases, a coincidence, the salty winters, I dont know for sure, but I know the stock tips are going to last long. If you dont like the cannon tip, look into something else made of stainless steel. There are so many companies that make stainless tips that there has to be something you like. How about a dual tip, rectangle, oval, etc. If its the crome you dont like, you may be able to have one done in something other than crome, or maybe you could use a high temp paint to color what you want. I hope this helps some.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Exhaust tip thoughts (pj's 850)

Yeah, my stock tip was rusted (or I'd put it back on). I ordered a TME dual tip from IPD this afternoon after I saw how nice the dual tip looks on the S60R...will give it a try to see how it looks at least.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Brett-
I saw your car at Swedish when you were getting it worked on. I live in Edmond, we should hook up some time. It was very refreshing to see someone else in town interested in Volvo performance. Drop me a line if you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts