SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2015.5 S60 Polestar Rebel Blue up here in Toronto area....my car is problem free so far but only 3500k on it and store in winter. My exhaust often when I start car in morning is in loud mode and is really loud when first started. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or just mine...not really a big seal at all but if I had to go somewhere at 6am some neighbours would soon complain no doubt..flip lever to sport and back a couple of times and it goes quiet. Bill

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Hello I have a 2015.5 S60 Polestar Rebel Blue up here in Toronto area....my car is problem free so far but only 3500k on it and store in winter. My exhaust often when I start car in morning is in loud mode and is really loud when first started. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or just mine...not really a big seal at all but if I had to go somewhere at 6am some neighbours would soon complain no doubt..flip lever to sport and back a couple of times and it goes quiet. Bill
Haha, what you are describing is one of my favorite things about the P*. This is the normal cold startup. The car idles around 2200/2300 rpm sounding absolutely glorious while I think the Cat(?) warms up. Then the revs will drop down to about 700 rpm and you are good to go. You shouldn't be flipping it over to Sport. Just let it warm up and sing its song.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Haha, what you are describing is one of my favorite things about the P*. This is the normal cold startup. The car idles around 2200/2300 rpm sounding absolutely glorious while I think the Cat(?) warms up. Then the revs will drop down to about 700 rpm and you are good to go. You shouldn't be flipping it over to Sport. Just let it warm up and sing its song.
+1!Cold stars are greatness!:cool::D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Use the app to remote start ,

Good circulation ,

Usually let the car rundown at idle

After driving , circulation with out torgue

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hah, remote starting will still wake up the neighbors. I would rather be in the car to enjoy the cold start. Brings a smile to my face every time!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is weird then... mine must stick in closed position then because it normally is very quiet on cold start and only is loud now and then but more lately so if everyone's starts loud then mine is definitely different..oh and don't be mislead I love the sound but if I was going to airport at 5am I would keep it quiet if I could but otherwise full loud. I drive in sport all the time..

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Maybe the engine was still warm when you started the car? Hence not really a cold start?

·
Registered
160 Posts
To Opus007's point, what is the idle speed when quiet? At cold start the flaps are mostly closed to warm up the cats for lower emissions and the idle speed is about 1600 RPMs, settling back to ~900 once the cats are at a high enough operating temperature.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The startup on my Polestar isnt always loud, even when I start it in the morning and the car sat in the garage all night.

Sometimes its really loud, sometimes its just like a normal startup.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
The startup on my Polestar isnt always loud, even when I start it in the morning and the car sat in the garage all night.

Sometimes its really loud, sometimes its just like a normal startup.
Just cold started mine...1,600 rpm loud, then warmed up to 800 rpm quiet. Warms up pretty fast in Dallas 80 temps.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yep app start from upstairs
Heard the loud echo , 9 minutes later car purring quitely , "warm that turbo " " circulate fluids"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is normally quiet all the time even on fast idle stone cold in morning outside no matter what air temp. Until I move shifter to left. That's the norm since new so don't know what is correct. No big deal either way just that not uniform so valve is sticking at times.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If the sound is that noticeable at idle, it's probably the left side actuator. In sport mode, the left side exhaust is where most of the low and mid frequencies are coming from and the right side emits the rushing air sound. You could try disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connectors as well. There is the one on the actuator itself and a second one inside the car towards the front of the boot (the left side actuator is the left side black and red connector). Each have a tab that you need to depress to uncouple and it's a bit tricky to locate, but you'll eventually find it.

If you want to see if the mechanical flap is sticky, you can get to it pretty easily by removing the actuator servo. Or obviously just let the dealer look at it. They just replaced my muffler for a bad actuator but mine was rattling verses sticking.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you look in the Polestar specific manual, it states that one valve is open when the engine is idling, so it's not sticking at all . . .

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
This explains it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Another example of Polestar (and Ferrita) engineering that makes these P*'s so awesome!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
both valves will be closed when engine idle is high...... so again this morning I go out and start car cold and it goes to fast idle full noise exactly the same as when in s mode...normally it starts fully quiet even on high idle since new... if I go to drive and move to sport and then back to drive and back to park then quiet again. so I don't know what is normal but inclined to think it should be quiet even in morning cold according to the above text by TexasV60P

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I don't think the valve positions make as much difference with regards to noise at such a low rpm. When the car is moving it absolutely makes a difference. The noise you are hearing on cold startup is it holding a certain rpm to warm the catalytic converter up. When you start switching modes, you may not be allowing the car to properly warm up. I would just start it and let it sit until the rpm's settle at about 700 and you are good to go.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I would just start it and let it sit until the rpm's settle at about 700 and you are good to go.
+1
This is my normal daily routine. I have always let my turbo Volvos warm up to their idle rpm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts