SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it the resonator people remove or rear muffler for a budget mod. I have a 09 s60 2.5t fwd. And would a exhaust cutout hurt or sound like crap

·
Registered
877 Posts
Resonator is the one people remove. Exhaust cutout in my opinion sounds good but the interior resonance (if you have it in right in the mid section of the piping where the resonator would be) it gets very annoying very quick. I'd suggest removing the resonator and if you get an cutout get an electric one so you can open and close it when you please.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Definitely not the muffler, I made that mistake recently and the increase in cabin noise was unbearable and the car did sound like crap. The muffler went back on in two days ! Now waiting for the next EST Touring Cat Back exhaust sale.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
DO NOT Waste your time and money cutting out the resonator!

On a stock FWD S60 It Will Do NOTHING for you as far as sound.

(I know because I wasted time and money on personally)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just want it to have a sound to it. I had a strong feeling a cutout would get annoying. What's the sound difference between removing resonator and muffler.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Removing the resonator on a stock 2.5T will yeild no sound difference.

Removing the muffler will make it quite a bit louder.

YouTube search Volvo S60 resinator delete & stock.
I posted a clip of each a while back and I hear no difference.

YouTube other Volvo S60 muffler subjects and you will get some examples.
Search the forum too.... many have made modifications from expensive kits to custom cat back systems.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I would recommend saving up for the obx downpipe, that makes a decent noise difference, and if you combine that with a resonator delete it sounds pretty good. obx downpipe is $180 shipped

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
+1

Right, you're not gonna end up with a throaty exhaust note just by hacking the resonator out of a stock exhaust. I agree with Stephan, if you wanna go cheap start with a OBX DP, the larger diameter pipe and lack of a catalyst will allow a lot more grunt to escape from the engine, the DP alone will make it sound better but like he said if you can uncork the rear a bit too it will add up. Still best way to go would be to replace the stock catback too with either a cheap OBX system or custom 3" pipe with a maganflow or similar.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill looks forward in getting the obx dp my buddys 06 R 3" straight with custom dp is ugly loud he said it only drowns when you step on it starting at highway speeds. That's tooo loud my mother drives my car sometimes and she'll hate that haha

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I actually just got my resonator removed a couple of hours ago, it makes a noticeable difference when you have an aftermarket exhaust/downpipe, the car snarls down low now and it didn't add any noticeable drone.

jdizzle I am getting rid of the stock exhaust on my S60R, it flows better and sounds better than your stock exhaust and would fit on your car, you can have it for free if you pick it up, your profile doesn't have your location on it though so I don't know how far away you are from St Louis...

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
My current exhaust consists of the R exhaust manifold, 3" catless OBX downpipe, 3" resonator delete pipe that splits to 2 x 2" by the axle and goes to EST R dual outlet muffler. It's quiet enough for my mother to borrow occasionally and pick up my young nephew in the morning, he sleeps in the car on the ride back. It's only obnoxious if you out the pedal down. I think it really depends on how it's made though, cheap thin metal pipes that are slapped together are gonna sound wonky and buzz, drone, etc...good quality exhaust will actually sound better IMO.

Here a little comparison from a while ago showing the difference removing the resonator made in my EST R catback with the OBX DP. I personally prefer without the resonator in my exhaust but it's a lot different effect than removing the resonator from a stock type exhaust system.

I gotta get some new vids too, at night it actually shoots flames out the tailpipes when it shifts or when I rev it like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lds9-8pb7rA&feature=plcp

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Omg its you!!! Haha I may consider that setup. I dought the dual tips will fit :-\. cause I am getting the obx dp. I think.its 3" with resonator delete soon for now.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I had a V70R exhaust on my old 2008 2.5T S60 and the tips just barely rubbed against the left side of the exhaust bumper opening, to get it to fit perfectly you'd need to have an exhaust shop move the tips over by about half an inch, I had this done on my R after I installed my OBX catback and it was only $30.

The offer stands, if you want my S60R stock exhaust let me know and it's yours

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man ill take it but your 7 hours away. I have to figure a way to get it lol

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here is a clip of my resonator delete on my 02 S60 2.4T AWD. I get a nice satisfying rumble from the exhaust, while it is not too loud inside the cabin. I think it is much better if you don't want to spend money. I went to the local custom exhaust shop and asked them to cut the resonator and replace it with a 3" pipe. Magnaflow exhaust is another exhaust mod you want to consider.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Man ill take it but your 7 hours away. I have to figure a way to get it lol
It's actually in St Louis, so only 5-6 hours away lol. I go to Mizzou so I live in Columbia while all my car stuff is at my parents place in St. Louis.

Here's a video of my system, just had the resonator removed yesterday and took this today:

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stephan1235- I think it sounds good. Obx dp and obx full exhaust w/resonator delete?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts