SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new single piece exhaust manifold gasket to replace my faulty individual exhaust gaskets on my v70r after blowing out one of the gaskets last week. It was leaking worse now that everything was bolted back down. Any tips on doing this gasket replacement? I slid the manifold back from the head and the gasket down in-between to keep from unbolting the turbo, however I am finding I have zero visibility and confused on why it isn't sealing?

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I purchased a new single piece exhaust manifold gasket to replace my faulty individual exhaust gaskets on my v70r after blowing out one of the gaskets last week. It was leaking worse now that everything was bolted back down. Any tips on doing this gasket replacement? I slid the manifold back from the head and the gasket down in-between to keep from unbolting the turbo, however I am finding I have zero visibility and confused on why it isn't sealing?
It's possible your manifold or head isn't flat anymore but this is the gasket I use. Start from middle and work your way out when you tighten bolts carefully and tq them.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-exhaust-manifold-gasket-s40-c70-v50-c30-8699467oe#fitment

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the gasket that I am using. I pulled it off yesterday and it looks like the ports do not line up on the head all the way from the exhaust gas stain on them. Idk if that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
That's the gasket that I am using. I pulled it off yesterday and it looks like the ports do not line up on the head all the way from the exhaust gas stain on them. Idk if that makes sense.
You have to flip and spin it the correct way and it will line up. Sounds like maybe that is the issue.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way the gasket overlaps the cylinder port is how mine looked from the stains. Is there a way to slide the gasket in and know it is going the right way. I can't tell from the picture which bolt holes are not being used?

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
One of the corners to clear the water pipe on the exhaust side of the head by the timing belt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any other suggestions besides the exhaust manifold gasket and turbo gasket. I have pulled the exhaust manifold out cleaned the surface of the head and manifold. Replaced both the turbo to manfold gasket and manifold to head. It still has a bad exhaust leak from what sounds like it is coming from the manifold/turbo area. I trimmed the gasket and lined it up perfectly on the head.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to add both the left and right ends of the head had black soot on the from build up that I cleaned off. I didn't see anything that looked out of the normal after cleaning.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Did you remove all the studs/nuts/washers?

Often some of the studs will come out with the nut attached. you gotta pull the nuts off and thread all the studs back into the head, then put the gasket/manifold on and put the washers/nuts on.

I made this mistake once and just threaded the nut/studs back in. Some of them would bottom out in the hole and since the nuts were corroded onto the stud, when I torqued the nuts down they wouldn't tighten and I had a massive exhaust leak at the head.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I pulled the studs out all of them were corroded. The nuts and studs came out together basically on all of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts