SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have an exhaust leak at sartup when cold on my 2005 S40 2.4i. The noise disappear quickly after it has warmed up. It's getting really cold here and the noise is more pronouced than ever and stays a bit longer.

I cant for my life find the source of the leak. I've tried plugging the exhaust tip with a rag and locating noise. I've also tried injecting pressure by the exhaust tip and spraying some soapy water. I suspect its coming from the manifold and I know it is a common problem on T5 but i don't think it is on a 2.4.

It seems to be coming from the front.

Has anyone ever had an exhaust leak on a 2.4 ? If so, where was it coming from? How did you find out?. It is really hard to locate since it disappear quickly with heating.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi Raphmass24,

It may not be an exhaust leak. Mine is very throaty and louder when starting in cold weather. I actually love the sound. It does go away as the car and pipes warm up. Personally, I think it's normal (or at least I do now due to it always being like that).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Raphmass24,

It may not be an exhaust leak. Mine is very throaty and louder when starting in cold weather. I actually love the sound. It does go away as the car and pipes warm up. Personally, I think it's normal (or at least I do now due to it always being like that).
I know what you mean. But I can definitely tell that mine has an exhaust leak by the sound. Also I get a little bit of smell in the cabin as a confirmation...

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
You are correct. It has all the signs of a manifold leak. Warms up quickly, expands & closes leak. You are also correct that this is pretty much unheard of on the 2.4i. Like ryjimenez17 said, you'll just need to get a wrench on those bolts & see what you find.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are correct. It has all the signs of a manifold leak. Warms up quickly, expands & closes leak. You are also correct that this is pretty much unheard of on the 2.4i. Like ryjimenez17 said, you'll just need to get a wrench on those bolts & see what you find.
Late update here. I removed and replaced the old manifold gasket and re-torqued the bolt to specs. The manifold appeared to be in pretty decent shape but while I was at it I decided to change it anyways. Still having a bit of an exhaust leak sound.

I think I'll just check everything going down from there. I'm a bit suspicious on the flex pipe since the outer braided section is a bit torn but I did not feel any exhaust gas coming out when i placed my hand over it. Of course the leak is very small so it could be hard to tell.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2.4i is super throaty at cold start as well. I feel like it has become much more pronounced over time. Haven't had much free time to investigate.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2.4i is super throaty at cold start as well. I feel like it has become much more pronounced over time. Haven't had much free time to investigate.
I'll keep you up-to-date on what I can find. Mine makes a bit of noise that is probably VVt related at startup but the exhaust leak is a seperate problem but makes the VVT noise even worse at cold start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts