SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I bought a 08 3.2L awd not to long ago and need to replace the flex pipes. I am a mechanic and have access to tools for the job but would like input from others on what size to use and if there is anything to look out for. I am aware that the bolts tend to snap if you don't heat them up prior.
Thank you for your time!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
By "flex pipes", I assume you mean those that attach to the catalytic converters on the exhaust manifold?

If so, this is a very simple job, particularly for a mechanic with the tool selection a typical mechanic has and a lift. I think it's 10mm bolts at the cat flange and 13mm at the rear cat flange (where it's one pipe). Swivel sockets and extensions are very helpful.

Maybe use some PB Blaster before you impact them.

As I said, most mechanics could practically sleep through this job, even considering if bolts break.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was asking about the actual flex pipes them selves. Is there a particular size and length that people have used. The job it self is fine. The selection of pipes where I live is limited in size and length. I know they are 2in in dia. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i think they are 10". Most of us have just replaced the whole section with aftermarket. The exhaust shop i took mine too didn't even want to touch it. the rear set of bolts on the flange to the first muffler will break. no way around that. they are way to small. The front flange bolts on mine were very clean though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!. I will be doing the job in a couple of days and will post here on the progress.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to doing it. Took me alot longer than expected. I didnt take alot of pics unfortunately. I did manage 2 snap 2 bolts on the upper part and they were a pain to fix. But overall it went well. The only issue i have is the rear gasket, for the resonator is leaking from all the material i removed. Very rusted. Anyways i dont suggest attempting this unless you have alot of time on your hands and are ready to deal with cleaning the crap out of the gasket mating surfaces.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got around to doing it. Took me alot longer than expected. I didnt take alot of pics unfortunately. I did manage 2 snap 2 bolts on the upper part and they were a pain to fix. But overall it went well. The only issue i have is the rear gasket, for the resonator is leaking from all the material i removed. Very rusted. Anyways i dont suggest attempting this unless you have alot of time on your hands and are ready to deal with cleaning the crap out of the gasket mating surfaces.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 8 of 8 Posts