SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my old leaking gasket with a new one but it leaks in the same place. I did my best scraping and cleaning the manifold but it is still a little rough. I have tried stacking two gaskets and that helped a bit but still leaks. Is there a thick aluminum gasket available, or maybe a copper one? I can only find cheap paper ones. Any other ideas to get this thing to seal up?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Remflex, my friend.

http://catalog.remflex.com/category_s/190.htm

By a sheet of it, trace a stock gasket and cut out what you need. This stuff is magic. Used it on my quite a few downpipe flanges and cat-back flanges on past Volvos. The stuff is gold. I typically forego the stock gaskets for these applications and go right to this. I sound like an info-merical, lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just the sort of thing I was looking for! It looks like you don't want to torque it down too much. Do you just use lock washers to keep the nuts from backing off?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I've never had much luck with lockwashers, but there are a variety of self locking nuts at auto parts / hardware stores, some are smashed out of round, some have a castle on top that is folded in, any of those should work to keep them from backing off. Obviously don't use the nylon lock style, it just melts out in an exhaust application.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
That's just the sort of thing I was looking for! It looks like you don't want to torque it down too much. Do you just use lock washers to keep the nuts from backing off?
Exactly. Just tighten it up until it you have a good seal and some flattening of the remflex material occurs. I use those deformed flange nuts for my exhaust mountings on older cars. They look a little ovoid in the threaded area before you put them on. Never had one of those back off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I got my exhaust headers, they came with a gasket and the instructions said to use ultra copper RTV sealant on both sides of it. Seemed a little overkill, but there aren't any leaks so I guess it does the trick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts