SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, but I can't seem to find any C30 exhaust systems with a cutout, and one S40 - has video links, but no clear pics of mounting,etc.

I bought a kit off eBay that comes with a nice SS tapered pipe to be welded into the stock exhaust. I would put it all the way back before the muffler entrance - well protected and close to the rear bumper for exhaust exit. Very little debris/ dirt seems to end up up here, so I think it will help in terms of component longevity.

However, I just bought a QTP QTec33 setup complete with flange kit & remote kit off ofC30crew member Ben Caron in Canada - much nicer quality & individual parts can be had for it. So, I'll plan on similar location once that kit arrives.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
None of my pics would help you, since I mounted the cutout further up stream.

The only other C30 that I know of with a cutout, is collegekid01 on C30Crew. But he mounted his where the DP meets the catback, so right under the cabin.

Here's one picture that I've seen where the guy put the cutout in a similar location as your picture suggest.

Here's another guy's cutout, but it doesn't really show it on the car...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?196687-Ferrita-Exhaust-for-S40-T5-with-Cutout-plate

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the pic references, Michael.

I think I'll be happy with the location I've chosen.
I may fabricate a 3" section to go from the Mototech DP / Cat, with a 3-2.5" step down. I can make the 2 3/8" Volvo pipe fit inside that. I don't like the hard shoulder inside the current 3" to Volvo intermediate section.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the QTP kit from Ben - cut the dump pipe on an angle to test fit in terms of placement & valve clearance on body / exhaust

gonna go pretty much like this

with the dump flange pointed outwards - away from direct flow onto the rear valance...

after 20min @ 20ºF my hands were too numb to continue, so I'll have to wait until temps are above freezing to remove the exhasuut & weld this in

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Worked on the exhaust today. Cut off the stock exhaust & made a 3" SS section to run from the Mototec DP back to where the cutout will end up. Going to use a 3" - 2.5" step coupler after the Vband to connect with the rear section. Down the road I can swap out the entire rear and make a 3" setup if need be.

Used 2 Pypes Performance Exhaust SS PVM4590-30 & 1 Pypes Exhaust SS Mandrel Bends PVM3018-30. 1 Vibrant 1473S 2 Blt SS Exhaust Flg 3", 1 Vibrant 1458 2-Bolt High Temperature Exhaust Gasket. 1 x 3-2.5" SS step coupler . 1 x SS 3" Vband

Step coupler will go on the old pipe, with a V band to connect to the 3" section

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of my welds aren't so pretty - Still getting practice welding SS. It's way easier than Aluminum, but seems pickier about having a clean tungsten. My near vision in low light is not good, so even with reading glasses I can end up wandering ;)

I'm using the stock rear can for now. This way I have no drone unless I open the cutout :)

I can build a rear section & just tie it to the Vband I added over the rear suspension later on.

Got the step down, V band and cut out dump tube welded today

May have to extend the cutout shroud to make sure the exhaust doesn't melt the inner fender liner rear lip.

I ran the wiring through the rear panel where the license plate harness exits the cargo area. Can't get the frigging grommet back in place - the access hole is just a little to offset relative to the grommet hole, and there's not enough space between the tie bar and the rear sheet metal to get my arm up that high. I'll figure it out later. Coming down with whatever bad cold/flu the Mrs. has, so everything today took twice as long as it should have. I also nudged the alignment of the Vband on the rear section after I marked it all up, which has the effect of kicking the right side tailpipe about 1/2" or so further out than the left. Very annoying. No way to fudge it, as there is no wiggle room with lipped Vband flanges. So , I'll probably remove the right tail pipe & reweld it in the correct orientation.

What I need to do first, is wire the cutout. I need to find a 12v switched power supply in the cargo area for the wireless transmitter. Any ideas? I don't really want to run wires all the way through the cabin unnecessarily.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
For what it's worth, your welds don't look any worse than the $700 EST DP (in fact they look better than a lot of them).

Can you post a recording of the cutout when it's up and running? Strongly considering doing the same thing on my S40.

And seeing your pic of the cargo area gave me an idea for a switch...the rear foglight: never use it and the wiring goes to the rear of the car, so it could be a prime candidate for a factory-look cutout switch.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can you post a recording of the cutout when it's up and running? Strongly considering doing the same thing on my S40.

And seeing your pic of the cargo area gave me an idea for a switch...the rear foglight: never use it and the wiring goes to the rear of the car, so it could be a prime candidate for a factory-look cutout switch.
It is in place & in use :) I will get a short video. I did try to do it on the road from inside with my phone, and didn't really work. I need to do it with an assistant :)

Thank you - yeah, the welds are OK overall - it's the new-to-old metal that can be a bear, for sure. Those welds look like MIG - they have much spatter too - usually don't get that with the proper gas shielding....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
That sounds pretty badass. Thanks for posting.

There's a couple cutout/muffler delete vids floating around youtube, but this is the 1st to convince me it actually sounds good.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
How bad is drone with that system? Im torn between Elevate, Borla, and Milltek (sp?)
It really depends on your setup and what you consider to be bad.
With K04, catless 3" DP, and Elevate exhaust, there was a bit a drone in 6th gear at 70-80mph. I got used to it, but it always slightly annoyed my wife.

I have since removed the resonator and the drone is significantly less. Quieter in the cabin under all conditions, louder and raspier outside. Can't ask for a better combo!

The best advice I have, is to come to C30s Conquer the Dragon. Literally every possible exhaust/downpipe combination will be there, giving you a chance to hear all of them in person. Everyone is willing to show off their car, so you'd be more than welcome to ride in most of the cars and listen for the drone as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It really depends on your setup and what you consider to be bad.
With K04, catless 3" DP, and Elevate exhaust, there was a bit a drone in 6th gear at 70-80mph. I got used to it, but it always slightly annoyed my wife.

I have since removed the resonator and the drone is significantly less. Quieter in the cabin under all conditions, louder and raspier outside. Can't ask for a better combo!

The best advice I have, is to come to C30s Conquer the Dragon. Literally every possible exhaust/downpipe combination will be there, giving you a chance to hear all of them in person. Everyone is willing to show off their car, so you'd be more than welcome to ride in most of the cars and listen for the drone as well.
Next year for sure. Sadly this year Im still in High School and the event interferes with my AP testing and graduation :(
Next year though Illl be moving North out of Florida and will do the best I can to get there. I havent experienced a good driving road yet.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
I havent experienced a good driving road yet.
Tail of the Dragon: 318 curves in 11 miles
Florida: 11 curves in 318 miles

1 - 20 of 20 Posts