SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got a hold of an executive clock and after a pretty tedious installation process (drilling, running new wires, had to remove the entire center console etc)...... Well, first things first: The clock works. Illumination turns on when I unlock and enter the car and turns off when I leave and lock it.

My problem is that the clock seems to stop when I've left the car. After I noticed this I set it again and took off. Arrived at my destination and noted the clock indeed still indicated the correct time. Left the car at 11:21 AM and returned some 9-10 hours later. Clock indicated 11:25.

I should also add, yes I did use the cup holder connector for illumination and yes I, as suggested in the information thread by itwontstopsnowin, tapped in to the glovebox wiring for (supposed) constant 12V power and ground. Since the clock does work I can only assume the wires are placed correctly. And since there seems to have been a few minutes delay from leaving the car to the clock stopping I'm guessing it's the cars internal networks shutting down everything, which takes a few minutes.

I really feel pretty confused. The only explanation I have is that the car is cutting the power but in that case, where would a factory installed clock draw power from? I was thinking the 12V outlet in the center console but it also seems to be unpowered when the ignition is off :(

Registered
You could try putting clipping a volt meter to the wire you connected to in the glove box and then arming the alarm and waiting a few minutes to see if the 12 volts goes away. You would then know for certain what's happening. If the car is cutting power, I guess you'd need to find a new source. The radio must have a constant 12V to keep the stations, but that's not fun to get to. There's also a bunch of wires / fuses under the passenger side floor carpet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Spoke to a guy at my dealer. He said the car was supposed to cut the power and that I technically might be able to borrow power from the DIM (constant power to keep the memory) or possibly the stereo somewhere. So at least the car's not acting up. He said the CAN network likely is different from the states (and itwontstopsnowins guide) and my swedish spec car. Or US and EU cars in general, can't remember.

I'm going to try to see if I can make sense of a wiring scheme for an early exec and see how it's originally wired. Or find a software or what ever.

Edit: I wrote down a bunch of crap in the retrofit thread instead and I'll continue updating any progress I hope I have there instead of fragmenting it to two threads. Thanks for your help though, the guy I spoke to didn't think of pulling power from the stereo until I mentioned it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts