SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you've ever seen my thread, you know I have waged a war on chrome. Currently, my door chrome is dipped in matte giving it a brushed appearance.

But what about removing it all together? Is there tons of adhesive or?

Also, anyone in the front end/door chrome should PM me. Its less than valuable to me.

·
3,391 Posts
The chrome is not removable from the actual plastic piece. I'm certain you can find someone willing to trade you for non-chrome door trim. People with 2007s seem to always be looking for the chrome door trim, and the kit from Volvo is super expensive. I believe I have one spare S80 door from an 07 without chrome sitting around. If I do, I'll throw the non-chrome door trim from it in with your goody-box. That'll get you 1/4 of the way there.

·
3,391 Posts
And by the way, it's not executive-exclusive. in 2007, no S80s had it. Then starting in 2008, it came on the V8s. Then starting at some later point (2010?) the chrome door trim started coming on all of the S80s. The same goes for the trim in the front bumper grilles. I actually like the chrome, however it makes sense on my black car. I can see why it might not be as appealing on a silver car. I think the "silk metal" color might make more sense for the trim on a silver car, or just body color as you're going for.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Interesting... I thought the 2007 executives would have it at least.

As for removeability, are you sure that is isn't possible to just heat up and remove the trim? I was under the impression you'd have to swap the whole bottom piece to get the chrome but I spoke to the spare parts people at a retailer and they told me that the trim can be ordered and retrofitted without swapping the entire pieces but by just attaching them with adhesive tape. I can't see why the opposite would apply; that the trim would be by itself removeable.

·
Registered
236 Posts
And by the way, it's not executive-exclusive. in 2007, no S80s had it. Then starting in 2008, it came on the V8s. Then starting at some later point (2010?) the chrome door trim started coming on all of the S80s. The same goes for the trim in the front bumper grilles. I actually like the chrome, however it makes sense on my black car. I can see why it might not be as appealing on a silver car. I think the "silk metal" color might make more sense for the trim on a silver car, or just body color as you're going for.
2010 S80 T6 here... and yes, the chrome being discussed here is on my car. And yes, I like it. Even with oyster gray.

·
3,391 Posts
Interesting... I thought the 2007 executives would have it at least.

As for removeability, are you sure that is isn't possible to just heat up and remove the trim? I was under the impression you'd have to swap the whole bottom piece to get the chrome but I spoke to the spare parts people at a retailer and they told me that the trim can be ordered and retrofitted without swapping the entire pieces but by just attaching them with adhesive tape. I can't see why the opposite would apply; that the trim would be by itself removeable.
Keep in mind that my knowledge is limited to the models that we got in the USA. the Executives were only available in the USA in 2009 and 2010, so that rule wouldn't apply here. None of them got the chrome door trim in the USA in 2007. I also believe the entire piece must be replaced. The "kit" from volvo includes the entire piece and indicates that the colored part of the trim comes primed and must be painted to match. There is also an inset groove in which the chrome part sits within the piece, so the piece is definitely different. The only chrome on that belt line I've seen that just "sticks" on the surface like that is the piece that goes on the rear bumper on the 2014+

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Can you wrap it in black vinyl?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. Learn something everyday.

Tarrbot, i just gave mine a matte finish to blend it in with the doors. Imma monochromatic kinda guy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts