SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an odd one! I've owned several of these great cars, but this latest one has me puzzled. As I approach 50mph there is a lot of wind noise coming from the top of the windshield. The car has no sunroof, the windshield is in good shape, the trim is solid. The only difference I have noted is this car sits higher in back than the wagons. Could this angle difference be the cause? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Dan

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I'd say either the top windshield trim is loose so it catches wind at speed or it's actually coming from your sunroof which might need adjustment. I've had windshield trim come loose and actually buzz at certain speeds due to a very high frequency flapping.

Just guessing though. Try putting wide painter's tape over various joints and see if it affects anything.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I'll give the painters tape a try. I examined that windshield top trim and it seems loose. The tape will help id the issue, good tip! There is no sunroof on the car which I thought should be quieter. But none of my other cars (all w sunroofs) make very little noise. Will let you know. Thanks again.
Dan

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The painters tape showed it IS the trim above the windshield causing the noise. I'm contemplating a new windshield so I may just go that route and ensure the trim is fastened well by the installer. Thanks again.
Dan

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Cool, glad to help.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
The painters tape showed it IS the trim above the windshield causing the noise. I'm contemplating a new windshield so I may just go that route and ensure the trim is fastened well by the installer. Thanks again.
Dan
Best way to do that is to have it replaced along with the windshield.
Be sure to give the glass shop a heads up when you make the appointment.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That trim is replacable without removing the windshield
It also can be siliconed in
If you don't NEED new glass, try that first.
Moulding costs about 20 bucks

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips! I want to replace the windshield due to wiper marks from PO neglect, but if it wasn't I would replace only the trim!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts