SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to sign a 36/10 lease on an XC60 and would like to hear from other users that have leased Volvo’s their experience when returning the vehicles. Do the nickel and dime you on everything, or they are cool with normal wear and tear? How about dings and dents?
Do they offer at time of lease some kind of insurance to cover part of the above? If so how much does it cost?
TIA

·
Registered
724 Posts
I am about to sign a 36/10 lease on an XC60 and would like to hear from other users that have leased Volvo’s their experience when returning the vehicles. Do the nickel and dime you on everything, or they are cool with normal wear and tear? How about dings and dents?
Do they offer at time of lease some kind of insurance to cover part of the above? If so how much does it cost?
TIA
I just returned a Lincoln MKX on lease and then leased the XC60. I had wear and tear on the Lincoln. It was a better deal than the Volvo package. It cost less and had a limit that was twice as high. I was very glad I got it because I had accumulated nick's and dings, including one fairly significant dent (that I stupidly caused by backing out of the garage with the hatch up). Even with all of that, the damage would not have exceeded the cost of wear and tear. I came out about even. And, if not for that dumb accident, I might have lost $ on the deal.

Knowing the $ equation is bad, I opted for the Volvo wear and tear anyway. Mainly, I did it for peace of mind. I just worry less and I'm relaxed about the whole experience.

I did talk to the lease expert when I returned. She told me they basically used the same standards for all the cars they lease. They had the same checklist for Ford, Lincoln, and Mazda as they did for Volvo.

If you're about to sign, make sure you're talking advantage of the Costc deal (if you're a member).

·
Registered
197 Posts
https://www.volvocarfinancialservices.com/excess-wear-and-use

They use the same 3rd party company most lease turn in companies use to do the adjustment so they will note everything. My last volvo lease turn in was almost spotless minus a few rock pits/chips on the mirrors(very thin paint on last body style s60) so that was considered excessive. Thats about it for me.

Most volvo dealers offer the 3 for 3 coverage that's optional for $7-1000 that covers paintless dent repair, glass, and tire damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought the excessive wear and tear insurance at the time of the lease. I now need to return the car and it does have a few larger scratches/damage on the exterior (good amount of paint scratches on 1 door and alloy wheel scratches). Do we need to fix these scratches BEFORE the lease return day? What is the process? When I called Volvo, they didn't know of any such pre-lease return inspection.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I bought the excessive wear and tear insurance at the time of the lease. I now need to return the car and it does have a few larger scratches/damage on the exterior (good amount of paint scratches on 1 door and alloy wheel scratches). Do we need to fix these scratches BEFORE the lease return day? What is the process? When I called Volvo, they didn't know of any such pre-lease return inspection.
If you have the insurance, why would you worry about fixing the scratches?

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
You can buy the excess wear and use protection (only at the time of lease), and in the past year or so they upped the total coverage from $5000 to $7500 without increasing the cost (they might have lowered it actually, I forget). It's $1000 per instance, and it does include tires. For 12k mile leases on an SUV it will likely pay for itself with the tires being below 4/32... at 15k you might have had to replace a set yourself already for your families safety. Our dealership tries to get any lease turn ins through our recondition department to help lower costs for customers, but there are always some things we can't clean up/make right. I believe it's 3 dings (not dents) per panel and scratches up to a credit card length get ignored.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The allowance for lease-end damage are spelled out plain as day.....you can know before going in what is allowed. In my opinion, if your car exceeds the allowance of wear and tear damage you don't deserve to drive a Volvo and should be in an old Ford Taurus! Seriously, they allow a lot of damage, but you have to be reasonable. I have leased 6 cars and I have never paid $1 in damages at lease inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
The allowance for lease-end damage are spelled out plain as day.....you can know before going in what is allowed. In my opinion, if your car exceeds the allowance of wear and tear damage you don't deserve to drive a Volvo and should be in an old Ford Taurus! Seriously, they allow a lot of damage, but you have to be reasonable. I have leased 6 cars and I have never paid $1 in damages at lease inspection.
Damage yes, but the tire aspect is not abuse, it's just wear that has an expense, and it's pretty handy to have that covered ahead with then effectively free insurance on letting your significant other drive the car for the day. The value goes down with 15k or 7.5k of course because you'll either not use enough tires, or you'll use too much to bank on the likelihood of using the tire portion. Obviously, how your dealer/salesperson/F&I price it out will be a significant factor too. Tires are the biggest I see, then front valances or wheels curbed as #2/3. Most come back pretty good otherwise.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Damage yes, but the tire aspect is not abuse, it's just wear that has an expense, and it's pretty handy to have that covered ahead with then effectively free insurance on letting your significant other drive the car for the day. The value goes down with 15k or 7.5k of course because you'll either not use enough tires, or you'll use too much to bank on the likelihood of using the tire portion. Obviously, how your dealer/salesperson/F&I price it out will be a significant factor too. Tires are the biggest I see, then front valances or wheels curbed as #2/3. Most come back pretty good otherwise.
Tires, front bumpers and wheel curb damage is likely the largest issue. After working at dealerships for years, you won't believe the condition of tires people try to turn in off-lease. The cars aren't even safe to drive. Everyone's use will vary, but I have never had to buy a second set of tires to turn in a lease car. Every car I have ever lease has been returned with the original factory tires that meet the turn-in requirements. I understand some of your points about tires for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
For sure. When I lived in Atlanta, they don't have safety inspection, and you could walk through a parking lot and find lots of bald tires. I'm not a big government champion, but $20 a year to have someone else look at the cars to let me know if the tires and brakes are good isn't such a horrible thing. Folks will run em as long as they can and think getting new tires is a way to rip folks off, but it could save their life in a bad situtation!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does everyone here do the inspection before the lease is up? Or do we simply return the car without the inspection being performed (even if there are damages)? Any guidance there?

My lease is due in Feb and I have an inspection scheduled for tomorrow and I will most likely be getting another volvo lease. I have extra wear and tear insurance with tire coverage on a 2018 XC90

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If you turn the vehicle in, Volvo simply sends you a bill for the repairs. You get charged what they charge, and thats the end of it. However, if you get inspected beforehand and then have a few weeks before the lease is over you have time to do repairs on your own at the repair shop of your choosing. This is always the chance that you can get the work done for less money than Volvo charges. This is why most people get an inspection ahead of time, get any damage amounts disclosed on what you will be charged by Volvo, and then you can compare their potential charge cost to the cost you could have it repaired on your own.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
Does everyone here do the inspection before the lease is up? Or do we simply return the car without the inspection being performed (even if there are damages)? Any guidance there?

My lease is due in Feb and I have an inspection scheduled for tomorrow and I will most likely be getting another volvo lease. I have extra wear and tear insurance with tire coverage on a 2018 XC90
Farmer is spot on. In addition, while it's not official, your dealer might be able to help too. We can't speak with any authority, but generally we can look over a vehicle and let you know what we think they'd ding you for. We always try to go over and buff out any scratches we can ahead of turn in to help, but we don't have a full body shop on site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts