SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I have a 95 850 Turbo with a voracious appetite for oil. The car has 170k miles. The oil has been changed every 3k so it has been well maintained. Recently, I've had to add about a quart a week. I even tried switching to 20w50 oil. I thought it could be the PCV valve but I can't even find it. The car does leak a little from the oil pan gasket but not enough to leak a quart a week. There does not seem to be any blue smoke coming from the tailpipe either. I once had to reconnect a tube coming from the engine to the intake manifold that feeds the turbo because it came off. I noticed a bit of oil in that tube. Could it be that something is clogged somewhere and that more oil than normal is being fed into the turbo? Help!

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodsob:<BR><B>Help! I have a 95 850 Turbo with a voracious appetite for oil. The car has 170k miles. The oil has been changed every 3k so it has been well maintained. Recently, I've had to add about a quart a week. I even tried switching to 20w50 oil. I thought it could be the PCV valve but I can't even find it. The car does leak a little from the oil pan gasket but not enough to leak a quart a week. There does not seem to be any blue smoke coming from the tailpipe either. I once had to reconnect a tube coming from the engine to the intake manifold that feeds the turbo because it came off. I noticed a bit of oil in that tube. Could it be that something is clogged somewhere and that more oil than normal is being fed into the turbo? Help!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Not sure if the turbo has a PVC valve but if it does it be off a hose connected to the air intake hose comming from your airbox I think. If it is stuck it may actually smoke fumes. That would make it easier to find! There is another seal I read about that will blow if there is too much pressure built up inside the motor, I'll try to find again what that was. If something is blocked it causes seals to blow and leak/burn more oil. I heard that a telltale sign is if the oil dipstick gets blown upword out of it tube! Definately too much back pressure. <BR>If not that than maybe rings but I kinda doubt that sinse there is no smoke. I guess the valve seals may leak a bit too, that sounds excessive though.<BR>Well, we'll see what others think.<P>

·
Registered
2 Posts
amsoil? i havent used it myself others swear by it, it supposed to be harder to consume becuase it has a better base. However if youve been using organic oil you could risk staring a leak by dislodging sludge. Thats what is stopping me from using it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had the seal on the oil return line from the turbo replaced at 90K, it was leaking. You can find directions on VS, that way you can at least see if yours is leaking.<BR><A HREF="http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/turborepairline.htm" TARGET=_blank>850 S/V/C 70 Turbo Oil Return Line</A>

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Do you have any moisture condensation on the top of the oil cap and/or dipstick? Are you 100% sure that the oil is not leaking out?<P>I have had my oil-cap gasket go out and leak oil into and under the valve-cover-plate. If you take off the plate and find oil, chances are...that's where it's all going.<P>Prospero<BR>854 T5 213000 miles and still going!

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rodsob:<BR><B>The car does leak a little from the oil pan gasket but not enough to leak a quart a week.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have to ask, are you sure it's leaking from the pan gasket? There are usually a lot of potential leak points above the oil pan.<P>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts