SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?182762-Rear-tire-camber
in the FWD & AWD section. I have read all I can possibly read on this, both in this forum and in others. I have talked to Volvo & IPD. I am getting into this deeper than I ever thought. I took it to my mechanic (not a Volvo garage but he does Volvos) and he found the rear camber to be -2.3 degrees. He said it is within the spec range, which he said is about -1.8 to -2.8. But as we talked, and I told him of my excessive tire wear (needing to rotate every 5,000 miles or so) he suggested going to about -1.5 degrees, which is slightly positive of spec. Now I know many of you might say to just keep rotating them every 5,000, and don't worry about it. But the problem is, 5,000 miles isn't long enough for the wear to even itself out when the tires get put on the front. So, I end up rotating them back before they are worn even and so they just keep getting worse. He said find offset bushings (I was already aware of these but there is none for the C70). So, my question is, "How do I change the camber?" I am researching now to find a longer upper control arm but no luck yet. This really sucks. Volvo pisses me off because they want to charge $$$$$ for an alignment but admit there is no adjustment to the camber on the C70. (At least not any that THEY have). So, why do an alignment? Anyway, I am hoping one of you guys has an answer to this. I don't think I would have the excessive wear probem if the car were driven the way the negative camber is meant for, and that is curvy roads. But my wife drives it 20 miles one way on a straight interstate, everyday. Hardly any turns. Thus, the tires are wearing a lot with this huge negative camber.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok. I have tracked down a solution. Maybe I'm the last to find this out, I don't know. There is a longer upper control arm that is about $160 each. I have a guy that said he will put both on for $170. Then an alignment for $60. So, I would be into it for $550. But, I can't count the alignment because I will get that done whether I put the new arms on or not. So, let's say $490. My dilemma now is deciding if it's worth it. Should I just keep rotating and going through tires faster, or should I buy the arms and go that route? My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that with the current arms I will get half the life out of the tires than I will with the new arms. So, a set of tires costs $700 and lasts 3 years with the new arms (I'm thinking 15K miles a year = 45k miles), vs. 18 months with the current arms. That would mean that with the current arms, they would cost me 3.1 cents a mile. With the new arms, 1.55 cents a mile. If I put 15K on the car a year, I'd save $232 per year in tires. That would mean about a 2 year return on my investment. But I also have to consider my labor rotating the tires (I do it myself in my garage). What do you guys think?

·
Registered
506 Posts
What year is your car? I have an 2006 and have not had this problem but a lot of S40/V40 people do. They make an adjustable link that I always assumed would fit our cars. Seems like a cheaper solution. I swap between winter and summer tires and rotate at that time. Hope that helps. Stuart... PS, I just turned 48K on my car so I'm not doing the miles you are.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2009. I have heard about the adjustable control arm but have not been able to find it in my research. All I have been able to find is the .7 degree arm. Do you have a link you can send me?

·
Registered
209 Posts
My 2007 is developing the same tire issues (cupping on the rear tires with excessive noise) that my S40 had before I installed the adjustable rear control arms. Yes the rear camber is in spec but at the very edge in excessive negative camber. The S40 had the same issue. I made the change with the S40 and after 15,000 miles on this set of tires, still no noise. I actually think the S40 is crisper in the handling with less negative camber, less understeer. SPC (Specialty Products) makes an adjsutable rear control arm for the C70 (check Amazon). Viva Performance also has them. I am probably going to make the change.

·
Registered
506 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stuvo & CDR114, thanks a ton, man. I just ordered the adjustable control arms. Specialty Products # 67420. I called them and talked to Jeff and he was most helpful. He told me to get them from Amazon for a better price but also that Oreilly Auto Parts had them (# SPP67420). I called Oreilly and they said $103 each but didn't have them in stock. Then I went to Amazon and found them for $86.99 plus $15.99 shipping. So, I bid 65, declined, then 70, declined, then 80 and it was accepted. Then I find that the shipping was $15.99 TOTAL, not each. So, for about $175 I am getting both !!! And to top it off, the guy at SPC said I could install them myself no problem (I'll let you know on this one). But now I am looking at $175 + $60 for an alignment vs. $490 + $60. I am excited. I think I'll have them set to -1.2 degrees.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Banjo, installation is not procedurally hard but the hardware that holds the control arms is difficult to remove. If you have a lift available, you will be able to get a large breaking bar to loosen the nuts and possibly heat. On my S40, I couldn't do it with the room provided by jack stands, so I had to take it to a shop. It needed aligned anyway.

Stuvo, my C70 has 48,000 miles on it, I bought it as a CPO with 36,000 with brand new tires. They started to make noise after 7,000 miles. It is kind of funny, because just last week I decided I needed to do something and then Banjo posts the same thing :) How many miles are on your C70?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just turned 48K also... Luckily my tires have worn evenly? Both winter and summer tires. I switched to Goodyear F1's at 15K. These tires have been awesome and low noise. About to switch to my winter Bridgestones and hope to get another summer out of the Goodyears. The original Perellis barely made 15K with the winter swap. I thought they were crap, loud and couldn't wait to get them off. Going to Bridgestone RE970AS next time if there still around, they have a awesome rating on Tirerack. Tired of the winter/summer swap. PS, if you want a real kick in the butt, get the tune. Your car with the stick will be taken to another level. As I say, to much fun... CDR, what tires do you have, that also makes a BIG difference. They may have put cheapers on your car to sell.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine has 68K on it but the tires have only 10K on them and have been rotated twice.

My new adjustable arms should be here on the 14th. My question now is what angle should I go with? I was going to go with -1.2 but not really sure. This is slightly less than Volvo spec. I dunno. Anything has got to be better than the -2.3 I have now that is wearing my tires out extremely fast. I'd like to find someone that really knows and has tried different camber angles on these C70's. But, like I said before, I think a lot of it depends on the driving style. And it's my wife so she is a conservative driver. And also it's all straight line interstate, everyday.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Bud - I posted in the general FWD forum and will be curious about your aftermarket control arms after you put them in. I'll be raising my issue with my dealer to see if I can get the volvo oem replacement control arms installed under my safe and secure warranty. In my case, I needed an alignment anyway because the toe was off, but the rear camber is definitely causing more wear on the inside treads of my tires.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jose,
I did not get the Volvo control arms.
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Control-arm/1158711/31201356.html
because I didn't want to be locked in at +.7 degree of change. With your camber at -2.7, these Volvo arms will only make it -2.0. You have no adjustment with these arms. That's why I bought these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-Camber-Arms-Rear-67420-Focus-Mazda-and-Volvo-Complete-Set-/330766316930
Plus they are a lot cheaper. These adjust from -1.5 to +.5 degree. In my opinion, -1.5 or so would be good. So, the downside I guess is that if you want -1.8, there's no way to get that with either arm.
I have not received the new arms yet but I will keep you guys informed.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Jose,
I did not get the Volvo control arms.
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Control-arm/1158711/31201356.html
because I didn't want to be locked in at +.7 degree of change. With your camber at -2.7, these Volvo arms will only make it -2.0. You have no adjustment with these arms. That's why I bought these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPC-Camber-Arms-Rear-67420-Focus-Mazda-and-Volvo-Complete-Set-/330766316930
Plus they are a lot cheaper. These adjust from -1.5 to +.5 degree. In my opinion, -1.5 or so would be good. So, the downside I guess is that if you want -1.8, there's no way to get that with either arm.
I have not received the new arms yet but I will keep you guys informed.
my 08 c70 only has 28k miles on it... tire wear on the original michelins seem fairly even, but i'll keep a look out. if it ends up uneven when i change them out, i may get these control arms installed as well.

here are similar if not same SPC arms on amazon for a few bucks less and free 2 day shipping if you're a prime member (my wife just signed me up for prime -- it's pretty darn convenient):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010DLIKW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks for links, especially for the service control arm (volvo 31201356). Now I know the part # for my talk with the dealer.

I see your point about being able to adjust the rear camber, and the tradeoffs between the oem fixed and the aftermarket adjustable arms. Since I'm still under warranty I will go for the OEM service 'solution' and at least get the fixed change of +.7 degrees. Hopefully that will improve the wear issue, at least for the next couple of years. Once safe&secure is done, and I see how the tires wear with the new fixed control arms, I'll probably put in the aftermarket ones. If I did not have the warranty, I think the adjustable arms are the way to go.

By the way, I double checked my printout and I have -2.7 degrees on the left and -2.4 degrees on the right, and the "acceptable" range per the hunter machine is from -0.7 to -2.7 degrees. So, -1.5 should be fine, close enough to the middle of the range (-1.7).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update

I installed the new control arms this morning. Make sure you jack the car up under the coil spring. The suspension has to be loaded or the arms won't come off. The bolts were tight but not unbearable. I had a small problem with the passenger side, inner end. There is a module of some sort that prevents you from backing out the bolt all the way. The solution is to bend the bracket that holds the module upward, toward the trunk. This gives you just enough room. Oh, and forget about using a ratchet and socket on this bolt. The only way is to use a 15mm box end/open end wrench, and you can only turn the bolt one flat at at time. I broke it loose with the box end and then kept at it with the open end. Takes a while. I gotta say that these new adjustable arms are beefy. The OEM's are just stamped out but these new ones are cast. Very impressive. I have a picture of the module and arm before I got it off but don't know how to post pictures on this forum. If anyone is interested send me a PM.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I got it aligned and had the guy set the rear camber at -1.2, then he had to adjust the rear toe which was no problem. But NOWWWW he tells me the front right is cambered -2.2 and it's supposed to be -.75 +/- .7, which means anywhere from -.05 to -1.45. And there is NO ADJUSTMENT for it. The left front is fine. What the heck is with these Volvo builders? Why even bother to specify camber if there is no dang adjustment !!!! So now what do I do????

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Ok, I got it aligned and had the guy set the rear camber at -1.2, then he had to adjust the rear toe which was no problem. But NOWWWW he tells me the front right is cambered -2.2 and it's supposed to be -.75 +/- .7, which means anywhere from -.05 to -1.45. And there is NO ADJUSTMENT for it. The left front is fine. What the heck is with these Volvo builders? Why even bother to specify camber if there is no dang adjustment !!!! So now what do I do????
This is the only thing I know of that may help you, but I haven't tried it for myself: http://www.iapdirect.com/00-05-ford-focus-front-camber-caster-kit.html?&cat=355

You may also want to check your control arm bushings as they can affect camber when they are worn.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Drive the car and don't agonize over it. Life is too short. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm talking with the dealer and Volvo about this right now. I just replaced the original tires at just over 10,000 miles, due to unbearable road noise.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I just ordered both front lower control arms. The bushings were worn out like Kova said on the right one but I ordered both. Looks like it's not too bad of a job to install. I ordered Dorman #521-159 & 521-160. They were $50 each at Parts Geek. They come with both bushings installed and the ball joing installed. I hope I am not getting junk.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts