SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

everything seemed fine until I jacked up car to put summer wheels/tires on and went for a drive and heard a squeaking/scratching noise in car.

Looks like there is excess play in the top of the strut. I don't understand how jacking up and down could change anything here? did not change anything with top nut to lower nut.

Is the top mount bear gone?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Looks like the spring seat is likely torn. Put a 21mm on that nut amd try to turn it clockwise. If you can, the spring seat is torn. Or remove the nut and the spacer and inspect.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Looks like the spring seat is likely torn. Put a 21mm on that nut amd try to turn it clockwise. If you can, the spring seat is torn. Or remove the nut and the spacer and inspect.
Yea, you likely need all new hardware for both top struts, if the one is like that. The kit from FCP is like 150 or so.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I don't know about all new hardware. The bearing plates are quite reliable. The spring seat is what always fails.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I don't know about all new hardware. The bearing plates are quite reliable. The spring seat is what always fails.
Well, while you're under there might as well replace all the worn stuff. And the FCP stuff is lifetime warranty so all you need in the future is shipping and labor. I usually replace systems like that all at once if a part fails from them if it's cheap just on principle.

I will say that I've never seen that on a p2, but my buddy's s70 was the same thing, mechanic got under there and he needed that exact kit but for the s70. I put em in my v70 when doing bilstein just because, and was told that the spring seats were both worn and it was a good idea to replace it all.

Idk though, just my experience.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
You sure you tightened that bolt down?

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the strange part. I have not touched the top nut and its exactly the same as the other side in terms of threads showing.

Looks like I should order at least new spring seats.

Is there a spec for where the lower nut (is it called a claw nut) should be in relation to the top of the strut shaft?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
The spring seat was probably on the edge of being fully torn. You lifted the car and put it back down and it broke.

There is no spec. The spec is removing the top nut to inspect. Or seeing if you can fully turn it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I can tell, it looks like someone has had the top strut nut off. Could be spring seat as mentioned. But could be something stupid too like stripped threads on the strut.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Spring seats are good for about 60 to 100K miles and almost always fail.
You need to take the strut assy. apart so NOW would be a good time to consider new everything.
Many auto stores sell complete assemblies to bolt in. If you are considering this make SURE to find out what brand spring seats and struts they are using. There is no point in installing a cheap spring seat as it may fail prematurely. You want VOLVO spring seats, pay the money, they're the best!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spring seat it was. Entire center was worn out. Pin was loose. Replaced and much better now.

thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.