SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a reason to take my 2017 XC90 T8 into the dealer for repair of the upper radiator hose. In another Thread I detailed what it looked like before I took the car in. I wanted to report back concerning the service provided by the dealership. This is the new Dealership Bob Smith Volvo. They occupy a building that was once Bob Smith Mini. So the facility while relatively new has the Mini look. Everything is well laid out. the showroom and waiting room are like a large open area. They provide coffee and other drinks and the place has a nice clean look. I was pleased because I was given a loaner even though I made the appointment that same day. In addition to the Radiator hose I also had a problem with the lower rear bumper facia that is silver in color. Once side directly above the exhaust had melted or at least the paint was damaged. The dealership was not sure what could have caused the problem and checked to make sure the bumper was properly installed (I had an aftermarket hitch). Anyway they suggested that I open a file with Volvo and request that Volvo cover the repair. I did that and provided Volvo with some pictures. It took a couple of weeks, but I got a call from the dealership and they indicated that Volvo would good will the repair. So they made arrangements for me to drop the car off and pick up a loaner. It has been a smooth process. I highly recommend this new Dealership. They are located in Calabasas, CA off the 101 freeway. They maintain a fleet of around 20 + loaner cars. The Service Advisor is Alan Pierce. Very knowledgeable fellow. They are so much better than the old dealership that closed their doors located in the Auto Center Thousand Oaks area.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Good to hear. I wish we’d have more posts of positive dealer and VCNA interactions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am jealous. I bought my 2016 about a month ago and it is my first volvo. The salesperson was awesome and we loved working with him. The service advisor on the other hand was horrible. She had a terrible attitude when I asked to get the car updated with carplay. I let my sale associate know about my experience and they promptly called me to apologize. After that everything seemed a bit better.

I took our xc90 on a trip to disneyland, we're from the bay area, and LOVED IT. Thats when I actually tried out acc and pilot assist. This is also when I found out that I have an older version of the pilot assist that is limited to 30mph. After a bit of searching I found a thread mentioning a newer version. So I called my dealer to ask about the update. She was silent on the phone and had no clue. Said she would talk to the foreman to get more info and call me back with an update. It has been a week and still nothing. I will be calling the Palo Alto dealer today to see if I get better luck. Let me just mention I was talk to the sa manager :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just dropped my car off and they arranged for a loaner. S60 T5. The car drives nicely. I like it looks. I am scheduled to pick up my car tomorrow around noon time. Great dealer experience. They are pouring a lot of money into the dealership. If any of you are in the neighborhood you should check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I picked up my car and it is back to perfect. Volvo and the Dealership repaired my car as a Goodwill repair. About a $1000 in cost. So I am happy. The service advisor provided some information:

• The Bob Smith group is family owned and in business since 1917.
  • We have two expert level Master techs, Caleb 20 years and Howard 31 years experience.
  • Loaner vehicles, Volvo lifetime Parts and Labor warranty.
  • Volvo experience- General Manager 12 years, Parts Manager 20 years, Sales Manager 10 years, and Service Advisor with 17 years experience.
  • Top ranked customer satisfaction ratings in the Volvo dealer network.
  • Facility Remodel will begin in early 2

Casey Turner
General Manager

Alan Pierce
Service Advisor

Bob Smith Volvo Cars Calabasas
24400 Calabasas Rd
Calabasas, CA 91302

www.bobsmithvolvocars.com

Main- 818-431-9200
Mobile-916-747-8878
Fax- 818-224-4399

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is what happened to the lower facia on the rear bumper. Can not figure out why it happened. Anyway complex repair. They had to remove the bumper, take off the lower facia, drill holes for the sensors in the facia and then reattach to bumper and the reattach the bumper. There was some other parts that needed adhesive so they kept it over the weekend to make sure the repair was done correctly. So I had a nice loaner car for the whole time.

·
Registered
2018 XC90 T8 (wife has 2015 V60 T5)
42 Posts
Glad Volvo stepped up and repaired it. Ugly picture. Definitely looks like parts are not aligned right.

If that were my Volvo with a messed up back end like that I would cringe every time I saw it. Congratulations on successfully getting it resolved.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ouch, that looks rough Dr. Manny! Glad to see they fixed it.

The brackets that hold the parking sensors need to be glued to the new protect plate/lower trim piece (once the holes are drilled), glad to see them ensure everything was good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ouch, that looks rough Dr. Manny! Glad to see they fixed it.

The brackets that hold the parking sensors need to be glued to the new protect plate/lower trim piece (once the holes are drilled), glad to see them ensure everything was good to go.
I believe that is why the Service Advisor asked to keep the car over the weekend. They wanted to make sure that the adhesive held properly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I picked up my car and it is back to perfect. Volvo and the Dealership repaired my car as a Goodwill repair. About a $1000 in cost. So I am happy. The service advisor provided some information:

• The Bob Smith group is family owned and in business since 1917.
  • We have two expert level Master techs, Caleb 20 years and Howard 31 years experience.
  • Loaner vehicles, Volvo lifetime Parts and Labor warranty.
  • Volvo experience- General Manager 12 years, Parts Manager 20 years, Sales Manager 10 years, and Service Advisor with 17 years experience.
  • Top ranked customer satisfaction ratings in the Volvo dealer network.
  • Facility Remodel will begin in early 2

Casey Turner
General Manager

Alan Pierce
Service Advisor

Bob Smith Volvo Cars Calabasas
24400 Calabasas Rd
Calabasas, CA 91302

Good to hear that Volvo and the dealer stepped up to goodwill the repair.

The funny thing about this is that the first tenant in that building, before Bob Smith Mini, was Calabasas Volvo. I purchased my 2007 XC90 V8 there. Before that, Calabasas Volvo shared the building with Mercedes-Benz of Calabasas just down the road. I used to get my 1998 C70 convertible serviced there as well.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Can not figure out why it happened.
It looks like a dent plus some heat damage (instead of corrosion). Is that close to what you and the dealer were thinking? Indeed, very strange damage . . .
Best I could think of is did someone with a (high aspect ratio) rectangular shaped tailpipe back into you such that one of the vertical sides of the rectangular tailpipe made contact with your bumper, then the hot exhaust gases cooked the plastic? Love these mysteries!

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am still trying to figure out how the damage occurred. I believe it happened on the weekend that we towed a 5x9 trailer from Orange County to Santa Barbara. We had a sofa and love seat in the trailer. The car pulled the trailer rather easily. I kept the car in power mode the whole time. It was really hot that weekend. I believe it hit 100+ in temperature. We also found ourselves in deep traffic at times at a standstill for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. The following days is when I noticed that the upper radiator hose began to ooze coolant. So it suggests that the car got pretty hot. I never saw any messages on the screen suggesting overheating. So not sure. I checked the hitch and it is really secure. I did not cut any of the heat shield during assembly. I can only imagine that somehow the hot gases got the exhaust hot and in turn it melted the top of the facia. There was no collision of any sorts. The facia literally melted and the paint burned away from the heat. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good to hear that Volvo and the dealer stepped up to goodwill the repair.

The funny thing about this is that the first tenant in that building, before Bob Smith Mini, was Calabasas Volvo. I purchased my 2007 XC90 V8 there. Before that, Calabasas Volvo shared the building with Mercedes-Benz of Calabasas just down the road. I used to get my 1998 C70 convertible serviced there as well.
Wow! sounds like what goes around comes around. Bob Smith Volvo seems pretty committed to this agency. They are talking about refurbishing the building next year which means they will put a lot of money into the business. I noticed that they had some really aggressive lease deals on the 2019 XC90 T8. I would have jumped on it had we not already purchased our 2017 T8.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I am still trying to figure out how the damage occurred. I believe it happened on the weekend that we towed a 5x9 trailer from Orange County to Santa Barbara. We had a sofa and love seat in the trailer. The car pulled the trailer rather easily. I kept the car in power mode the whole time. It was really hot that weekend. I believe it hit 100+ in temperature. We also found ourselves in deep traffic at times at a standstill for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. The following days is when I noticed that the upper radiator hose began to ooze coolant. So it suggests that the car got pretty hot. I never saw any messages on the screen suggesting overheating. So not sure. I checked the hitch and it is really secure. I did not cut any of the heat shield during assembly. I can only imagine that somehow the hot gases got the exhaust hot and in turn it melted the top of the facia. There was no collision of any sorts. The facia literally melted and the paint burned away from the heat. Go figure.
If there was no collision but the damage was all heat related then wow - it would take a decent amount of (exhaust) heat energy to cause that large chunk of plastic to expand. Was any hot metal touching the damaged plastic or is that all just exhaust gas convecting heat upwards (and no metal was touching plastic)? Out of curiosity why was the other side spared? (Did I read somewhere in the forum there is a valve for the exhaust?)

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If there was no collision but the damage was all heat related then wow - it would take a decent amount of (exhaust) heat energy to cause that large chunk of plastic to expand. Was any hot metal touching the damaged plastic or is that all just exhaust gas convecting heat upwards (and no metal was touching plastic)? Out of curiosity why was the other side spared? (Did I read somewhere in the forum there is a valve for the exhaust?)
Yes it appears that it was all exhaust. In power mode the valve opens up to allow exhaust through both sides. As far as I can tell no metal was touching plastic. Having said that, who knows when you are pulling a trailer. I torqued all the bolts properly but perhaps things can move a bit and maybe enough to get the metal to touch the facia. Does make you wonder.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
... I can only imagine that somehow the hot gases got the exhaust hot and in turn it melted the top of the facia. There was no collision of any sorts. The facia literally melted and the paint burned away from the heat. Go figure.
There appears to be a somewhat vertical scratch along the area where the paint layer seem to split upwards; could that have been a scratch that promoted the tear as the bottom got overheated? In other words, heat at the bottom starts to deform the plastic and the painted layer differently, and then the presence of the scratch pulled the shrinking paint sideways at the bottom, and then opening up the rest above it like a curtain.

I will be calling the Palo Alto dealer today to see if I get better luck. Let me just mention I was talk to the sa manager :facepalm:
Have you tried McKevitt in San Leandro?

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There were no scratches that I can recall on the facia. It appears to be all heat convection.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ah, so that’s where Alan Pierce went! He was our service advisor for many years in Walnut Creek. He’s very good—you lucked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, so that’s where Alan Pierce went! He was our service advisor for many years in Walnut Creek. He’s very good—you lucked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wondered where the Service Advisor acquired his expertise.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Fantastic experience with Rickenbaugh Volvo in Denver. My Service Rep, Dwight Davis, always returns calls within the hour, and they've gotten me a couple of freebie repairs as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts