SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
4,739 Posts
Re:

I was trying to work out the Evolve spring and sway bar problem when I snapped these photos of the exhaust. The problem is in the hangers. It's also rubbing on the drive shaft. But there is any clearence problems yet...just a lot of noise.

Drive Shaft

· Registered
82 Posts
Re: Re: (KillerB)

My mechanic would not put the OE 'U' shaped hanger bracket back on mine, because it made the exhaust rattle even more than it does now. Ask if that bracket can be removed so that the pipe can drop down away from the car, but if you already haven't done so... get someone to weld the exhaust pipe joint -- I think it is where the Evolve clamp is in your pictures. If you don't, you may find the exhaust tip dropping down...like I did.

· Premium Member
3,113 Posts

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
I was trying to work out the Evolve spring and sway bar problem when I snapped these photos of the exhaust. The problem is in the hangers. It's also rubbing on the drive shaft. But there is any clearence problems yet...just a lot of noise.

Drive Shaft

Wow. I hadn't really been following this thread so I wasn't aware of how endemic the problem was . . . somebody should hire me to do R&D.

MOST of the problems you're seeing can be remedied with the proper modifications.

First, remove the exhaust bracket. It's useless, and only serves to assist exhaust/driveshaft contact under impact. Once removed, it is vitally important that the bolts be replaced WITH WASHERS. Doing so will ensure that the heatshead is properly secured, and doesn't vibrate.

Second, completely remove the rear exhaust hanger brackets. Insert a few washers to lower the entire bracket assembly, and then re-install with the washers. This does several things, but mainly it lowers the exhaust enough that the resonator won't scrape against the driveshaft, even in the rain. This took some tweaking on R_Rated's car, but we finally got it right after he drove it in the rain a couple of days.

Once you've lowered the rear of the exhaust, everything else has to be adjusted to fit the rear exit hole correctly. The Evolve tip is monstrous, so you've really gotta hold your mouth right to adjust everything such that the tip is centered in the body kit hole.

Tip: use locktite on all the Evolve clamps. This will help prevent loosening (and also keeps you from having to weld stuff).

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Re: Evolve exhaust owners--how's your ground clearance? (frankhoffy)

By the way, this issue has been resolved. When I got my DP and stright pipe in, the dealer was able to center the exhaust a little better. I gave them the photos that Evolve provided here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=57058

All is well now. Installation issue, not an Evolve issue.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Re: Re: (LOTR)

Quote, originally posted by LOTR »
How is the creaking and groaning sway bar noises since the Evolve fix, now you have some miles?

Going to be fixed next week. Don sent me what I needed today.

· Registered
4,739 Posts
Re: Re: (LOTR)

Evolve has 2 ring type clamps for the rear. That's the fix for the back.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

Quote, originally posted by KillerB »
Evolve has 2 ring type clamps for the rear. That's the fix for the back.

And I may have to grind off a bit of the front sway bar, if there was any contact with the lower control arm

· Registered
4,739 Posts
Re: Re: (frankhoffy)

Quote, originally posted by frankhoffy »

And I may have to grind off a bit of the front sway bar, if there was any contact with the lower control arm

ya, but that wont solve any creaking noise. I still have one that returns every once in a while from the front and my sways are cut down to prevent contact.

Dealer found a loose bolt a few weeks ago.

The noise returned last weekend when I was racing with the Audi Club at Las Vegas Speedway. Now the noise is pouring out the front.

Let me know what happens with the front. I'm in Seattle on business then I have to go to Maui and the rest of the Islands...on business too. I'll look at it when I get home.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.