SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Evolve Chip

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Andy's_V50 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed the Evolve or iPD chip for their S40 T5? A mechanic I work with says they really don't add much of anything.....but I suspect he is wrong. Are we talking about a noticeable gain in torque? Does the car still drive the same? (Cold weather starts, etc etc) Your experiences are much appriciated.

#2 ·
I have the Evolve chip and i think it makes some a good bit of difference. I must qualify my response with 3 things.
1)I am only talking butt dyno.
2)I recieved my 2006 with it already chipped, and my 2004.5 was automatic with about 6months of separation from driving each while i was in Iraq.So telling the difference wasnt a back to back straight comparison.
3) The only negative thing to say is that i have a slight surge in the 35-3700 rpm range and havent been able to find the problem, I really think it attributed to other things.

Also for your info although alot cheaper with roughly equivalent performance gains, the Evolve is not a PPC and can only be reloaded or check by sending it back in , instead of DIY.
Shouldnt be an issue as long as you arent worried about random Volvo ECU updates that would probably be overwritten by the rechip anyways. Make sure your dealer is cool with it or you will probably send it back everytime it comes out of service if they overwrite it.

#3 ·
i recently sent my ecu off to the guys over at evolve and retuned it for 94 octane fuel.. comparing it to stock, your mechanic is a little off... in stock form, i could chirp the tires on a 1-2 shift... after the re-tune, i was able to chirp 2-3 easily.. powerwise, i thought it was a good investment.. that and it spools louder than stock..

characteristics of the throtle also changed.. i noticed response got much better.. if you're heel-toe-ing (sp?) you'll definetly appreciate the better response.. i used to have to tap the gas twice or hold the gas peddle a little longer esp. going from 3-2.. all that's gone now

overall, it makes the car a whole lot more fun to drive, esp whipping it around corners and pulling hard out of it...

#4 ·
Re: (turboah)

Quote, originally posted by turboah »
i recently sent my ecu off to the guys over at evolve and retuned it for 94 octane fuel.. comparing it to stock, your mechanic is a little off... in stock form, i could chirp the tires on a 1-2 shift... after the re-tune, i was able to chirp 2-3 easily.. powerwise, i thought it was a good investment.. that and it spools louder than stock..

characteristics of the throtle also changed.. i noticed response got much better.. if you're heel-toe-ing (sp?) you'll definetly appreciate the better response.. i used to have to tap the gas twice or hold the gas peddle a little longer esp. going from 3-2.. all that's gone now

overall, it makes the car a whole lot more fun to drive, esp whipping it around corners and pulling hard out of it...

how are you chirping 1,2, or 3 gear with awd?

#5 ·
Re: (awd)

You can chirp both ends with the stock T5 AWD. Stock tires help with this endeavor, of course.

Tom.

#6 ·
Re: (tmtalpey)

Wow. I didn't know that. My T5 AWD only has about 1700 miles on it, so I've been KIND OF nice to the clutch so far. No slam shifting......but that doesn't mean I'm above the good old AWD launch once in awhile!
I should probably chill out on it though. I've only done it about 5 times total......but popping the clutch and launching has GOT to be bad for the syncros, differential, etc etc

#7 ·
Re: (B5254T3)

I don't recommend trying for a chirp on launch. But 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, with the turbo spooled and the shift done right, will yield it.

Being nice to your clutch is a good thing. I am to mine, and these chirps actually aren't very hard on it.

Tom.

#10 ·
Re: (awd)

An example - scoot out of a parking lot turning left into traffic. Punch it straight, turn-in and punch it harder to avoid cutting off the line of cars. Shift up (1-2). Chirp.

This doesn't happen as much now that I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on. Now, I just go.

Tom.

#11 ·
Re: (turboah)

Turboah,

I'm curious on your butt-dyno estimates. I'm in Etobicoke, so I'm guessing you're only using Ultra 94. How long did you have the setup for? Are there any downside of it? ... any sputtering of any sort? Do you have that "start-shudder-shudder-stall" problem?

TIA,
~Andy

PS: throw me an e-mail we can meet up. I'll show you my big steering wheel
and C70 shift knob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.