SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Re: Ever wonder what the inside of your muffler looks like? (chromecarz00)

Wow, it looks like a unicorn crawled up in there and died.

So what's your plan here...you are going to run it with the faux outlet chopped off?

I will be interested in what other have to say about this. Thanks for the interesting pics.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
dude you have a dead cat in your muffler!!

you planning in leaving it that way?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: (sanatarium)

Sana! You're alive!!!!!!
School out for ya yet?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: (gonefly)

With his bare hands!

Now they are itching beyond belief so he is making up for it by driving around and listening to his muffler growling without the insulation.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (carreragt7)

Quote, originally posted by carreragt7 »
With his bare hands!

Now they are itching beyond belief so he is making up for it by driving around and listening to his muffler growling without the insulation.

Surprisingly accurate

(it really does itch like a mother though; there's like 3 fibers on my pants which I cannot find...worth it though)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Wow... the noise is noticeably different...

Will doing this improve the exhaust gas flow? The amount of fibreglass (or I should just say the amount of crap inside there) looks like it could restrict the exhaust a bit... .:eek:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel like it does, it feels a bit faster but it could easily be placebo. Sounds amazing though. And yes the fiberrglass did keep breaking, i used pliers and a screwdriver and just kept going at it. fingers, not hands.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
not bad man. good idea lol you should slap a matching tip on the other side were you cut it off and replace the midpipe for even more burble and sound difference:D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yeah I did this a while ago. The mechanic took as much fiberglass out possible. There is a deeper growl when the car starts and warms up. Not much difference in Cabin and acceleration in my opinion. More of an Asthetic thing than anything else.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
What
Is
Going
On?

I don' get it, why is there fiberglass in there?
Two types of mufflers, packed mufflers that use fiberglass or something similar or mufflers that use metal pieces to divide the cambers inside, to tune the exhaust sound. Kinda suprised to see that the stock system uses packed mufflers though, I always thought and read that most OEM mufflers were of the other design. Check out how stuffs made, they had and interesting segment this weekend on mufflers featuring Magnaflow, which pretty much sold me on not buy anything else. They are the only muffler US manufactorer that specifically tests and designs their mufflers specific to each application and the only manufacterer in the world with the a test facillity capable of doing this (pretty impressive).

·
Registered
664 Posts
According to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act Glass packed mufflers have been illegal for at least the last 40 years. If you plan on driving you car here you better remove the fiberglass.

Solid rubber tires are also illegal so no run-flat tires or airless spares.

·
Registered
38 Posts
According to the Ontario Highway Traffic Act Glass packed mufflers have been illegal for at least the last 40 years. If you plan on driving you car here you better remove the fiberglass.

Solid rubber tires are also illegal so no run-flat tires or airless spares.
ouch. run-flats are not solid rubber. i have not seen a solid rubber tire in ages, the stiffness would give you kidney failiure instantly.

and that is a lot of fiberglass. do the T5's have the same thing?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.