SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still trying to pin down what to do on our OSD trip and had to cut a day shorter due to SAS flight availability so flying into Gothenburg on Sunday, pick up at FDC on Monday and will have to be back in Gothenburg by Thursday afternoon to drop off for Friday morning flight home (realize this is REALLY short). Trying to decide if better to spend a couple of days in Stockholm or Oslo and recommendations for things to do, places to stay, etc.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Alternative 1 (City dweller)

Fly to and from Stockholm, get and drop a car there.

Alternative 2 (Mixed bag)

Get a car in Goteborg, drive to Stockholm via Vaxjo and Kalmar, drop a car in Stockholm, fly from there

Alternative 3 (City dweller)

Get a car in Goteborg, drive to Oslo, drop a car in Drammen, fly home from Oslo

Alternative 4 (Nature lover)

Get a car in Goteborg, drive to Oslo, do a Norway in Nutshell, drop car in Drammen, fly home from Oslo.

Stay in apartments...see Scandinavia from inside...IM for the specific short term rental websites.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Picking up and dropping off in Stockholm is NOT a wise choice. There are costs associated with pick up ($845) and drop off (@ $625-675)...plus you would lose your free night at the Radisson.
Better choice would be to pick up in Goteborg and drop off in Drammen (@ $215-$220)...and then do teh Norway in a Nutshell and fly home from Bergen.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Still trying to pin down what to do on our OSD trip and had to cut a day shorter due to SAS flight availability so flying into Gothenburg on Sunday, pick up at FDC on Monday and will have to be back in Gothenburg by Thursday afternoon to drop off for Friday morning flight home (realize this is REALLY short). Trying to decide if better to spend a couple of days in Stockholm or Oslo and recommendations for things to do, places to stay, etc.

Thanks much!
We loved Stockholm and Gothenburg......stayed 3 nights each.......

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If your tickets have not been issued you may have some flexibilty in making some changes.

Are you limited to just the weekend to weekend for travel?

I would fly into Goteborg on Sunday and get the free transportation from the airport to the (free) hotel. Then Monday morning you'll also get free transportation to the FDC.

You'll want to contact the FDC as early as possible to ask for a morning delivery of the car since you're short on time. Lunch is served at the FDC circa 11:30 to 13:00 though most everyone is done by 12:30.

If the factory tour is offered it starts at 13:00. Its pretty cool and worth doing if you have time. Figure at least an hour. Or you could skip the tour and get on the road - depends on where you're going.

Its motorway style road all the way to Oslo and not very congested. Stockholm is a lot further away and only about 2/3 of this highway is divided (at least the way I've gone).

As others have posted - you can drop off the car somewhere other than Goteborg FDC. I wouldn't do it in Stockholm - the charge is way out of line. BUT: the drop off charge in Drammen (just a bit west of Oslo) is quite low.

So ... after you pickup your car you could drive north to Oslo and beyond. And you could drop the car off in Drammen. If you don't have to be home on Friday you could drop the car off on Friday and spend a day or two more in Oslo, just without the car. There's trams and public transit - its a small city. Then arrange flight from Oslo to ARN or CPH and back home. (There's no extra charge for that - you can fly in and out of any Eu cities SAS serves.)

A modification of that: you could drive the car back south to Goteborg FDC turning it in on Thu or Fri. Volvo will then provide you transportation to the airport or train station. If you want to see Stockholm - take the high speed train from Goteborg to Stockholm. Spend a day or two in Stockholm after you drop of the car ... and then fly home from ARN.

Here's another two city itineary:

Sat - to GOT
Sun - arrive GOT PM
Mon - pickup car drive to Oslo
Tue - half day in Oslo - drive to Stock
Wed - visit old Stockholm
Thu - drive to GOT - drop off
Fri - fly home

Note: if you can fly home on Monday with a flight that departs around noon you can get a lot more time in Europe. Just plan to be back in Goteborg on Sunday night and drop the car off at the FDC around 9AM - they'll take you to the airport and you're on your way back home.

Also note: there was a deal where if you were an existing Volvo owner you could get a second free hotel night.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Stockholm

We loved Stockholm and Gothenburg......stayed 3 nights each.......
Ditto for us too.

Stockholm is an easy city to walk. We stayed at the Viking Hotel which is next door to the train station. If I had it to do over again I would not fly between G'burg and Stockholm. I would have rather taken the train and enjoyed the countryside instead of the inside of airports and a plane. There are some great public areas in Stockholm, a beautiful old town and some really great restaurants. The summer should be a great time to walk the city. Flying out of Stockholm was very easy too, if you haven't booked yet you might try and drop car off at FDC, take a train to Stockholm and fly home from there.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Ditto for us too.

Stockholm is an easy city to walk. We stayed at the Viking Hotel which is next door to the train station. If I had it to do over again I would not fly between G'burg and Stockholm. I would have rather taken the train and enjoyed the countryside instead of the inside of airports and a plane. There are some great public areas in Stockholm, a beautiful old town and some really great restaurants. The summer should be a great time to walk the city. Flying out of Stockholm was very easy too, if you haven't booked yet you might try and drop car off at FDC, take a train to Stockholm and fly home from there.
I agree about the train.......we flew because it was included in the Winter Package as was transportation to and from both airports! Thanks again Volvo........ :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've read less than complementary things about Oslo, and most folks recommend Stockholm over Oslo hands down. But I agree with Gascos that Oslo would be a nice option if you do the Norway in a Nutshell tour (you can even do it in one day!). After Stockholm, we'll be traveling to Oslo, doing the Fjord Tours (Sognefjord in a Nutshell) starting in Oslo and ending in Bergen, with a 2 night stop in Balestrand. From Balestrand we plan on visiting the Jostedahl Glacier and maybe a stave church. I believe that the cost to drop your car in Drammen is very affordable compared to most of the other cities (Stockholm is way too expensive).

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I've read less than complementary things about Oslo, and most folks recommend Stockholm over Oslo hands down. But I agree with Gascos that Oslo would be a nice option if you do the Norway in a Nutshell tour (you can even do it in one day!). After Stockholm, we'll be traveling to Oslo, doing the Fjord Tours (Sognefjord in a Nutshell) starting in Oslo and ending in Bergen, with a 2 night stop in Balestrand. From Balestrand we plan on visiting the Jostedahl Glacier and maybe a stave church. I believe that the cost to drop your car in Drammen is very affordable compared to most of the other cities (Stockholm is way too expensive).
I will take Stockholm over Oslo any day of the year, even if I was there more than once...also, Göteborg is just a short 4H drive from Stockholm, if drop-off money outweighs a convenience...my wife and I drove to Stockholm and back on our 1 week long first OSD back in 2000, and we managed a one-day swing to Copenhagen as well...

I will highly recommend FDC delivery and factory tour...adds a lot to the experience, especially, if it is your first one...

Remember...FDC has 24x7 parking lot for the folks that HAVE TO (a key word for the FDC personal) return their cars on weekends...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the information and advice. Very helpful and my wife and I appreciate.

Despite the short time for the experience we are looking forward to picking up our new car and getting a small taste of Sweden next month.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I read an online recommendation about Oslo that said "Even if I had 200 days to spend in Norway I would not spend even 1 day there". I thought that sounded pretty harsh, but I think it's probably true that Norway is more about the spectacular landscape than the city life. Still, I'm looking forward to the Kon Tiki Museum and maybe the Nobel Center.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I read an online recommendation about Oslo that said "Even if I had 200 days to spend in Norway I would not spend even 1 day there". I thought that sounded pretty harsh, but I think it's probably true that Norway is more about the spectacular landscape than the city life. Still, I'm looking forward to the Kon Tiki Museum and maybe the Nobel Center.
Eh,
Skip both, but Vigeland sculptures in Frogner Park is a must see...then Viking Museum, stroll along Harbor, have lunch inside of castle...see change of guards at Royal Palace...

http://oslo-norway.ca/attractions/vigelandsculptures.html

http://oslo-norway.ca/attractions/harbour.html

http://oslo-norway.ca/attractions/royalpalace.html

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not knowing the context of this quote, I'm not sure whether to interpret it as a condemnation of Oslo or fabulously glowing recommendation of the balance of Norway. Personally, we had a great time in Oslo in April. Yes we did LOVE the fjords and countryside also. In Oslo we stayed in a house literally across the street from Frogner Park. Spitshot's other recommendations are right on too. Oslo was a quick trip up from Gothenburg and a nice way to start the trip and get over any jet lag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd have to disagree with some here; Oslo is gorgeous especially in the summer. I have not been to Stockholm but since you have limited time, a different option for cities closer would be spend a little time in Oslo and a little time in Copenhagen.
Also close to Oslo two neat little towns: Tonsborg on the west and Fredrikstad on the east. You could drop your car 1 night early, take the train to Copenhagen, spend the night, then fly directly out of Copenhagen...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.