SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and didn't find anything related to the 08-16 generation...

I have an R134 leak that has gotten slowly worse. First time they checked for external leaks, recharged, and it lasted a year. Second time same thing, but they replaced the Schrader valves and the charge lasted about 6 months. No hint of a leak anywhere, but I suspect not looking behind the dash.

Since then, I've vac/replaced the R-134 myself 3 times (90 days, 30 days, now only a bit over a week), and also can't see anything external and obvious showing up, so I am worried this is the evaporator or something else behind the dash.

I have read countless horror stories on the effort in the previous generation V70 (people talk of multi-day dash tear downs). Is this generation as bad? Am I looking at a 10+ complete tear down of the dash? While I used to do all this stuff myself (not on a Volvo, but I did on 2 of my earlier cars and it was a few hours work top), but I'd probably farm this out due to lack of time...how grim of a bill am I facing? :confused:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Searched and didn't find anything related to the 08-16 generation...

I have an R134 leak that has gotten slowly worse. First time they checked for external leaks, recharged, and it lasted a year. Second time same thing, but they replaced the Schrader valves and the charge lasted about 6 months. No hint of a leak anywhere, but I suspect not looking behind the dash.

Since then, I've vac/replaced the R-134 myself 3 times (90 days, 30 days, now only a bit over a week), and also can't see anything external and obvious showing up, so I am worried this is the evaporator or something else behind the dash.

I have read countless horror stories on the effort in the previous generation V70 (people talk of multi-day dash tear downs). Is this generation as bad? Am I looking at a 10+ complete tear down of the dash? While I used to do all this stuff myself (not on a Volvo, but I did on 2 of my earlier cars and it was a few hours work top), but I'd probably farm this out due to lack of time...how grim of a bill am I facing? :confused:
Fortunately evaporator replacement does not require the removal of the dash on this generation. I'm not sure of the labor required, but if I remember correctly its around 2 hours book time for the job. I will attach the instructions on how to do it but there is some weirdness in the procedure. Essentially you're removing the expansion valve, glove box, the side panel on the center console, the cabin filter, and the fuse box underneath the glovebox. The evaporator itself is located directly in front of the cabin filter. You are supposed to cut the plastic door in front of the evaporator off and the lines going to it. I looked at the Volvo part number and their evaporator comes with these lines to replace the old ones. I'm not sure how they're attached to the evaporator, but if they're bolted, I don't see why you would need to cut them unless they prevent the evaporator from coming out. The lines themselves run between the evaporator and expansion valve. If you do it yourself, definitely look around under the dash to see how everything is held together before doing anything. Otherwise hopefully someone can look up to correct labor time for the job here so that you know the correct amount that should be billed. Before doing any work or paying someone make sure that the issue is with evaporator. It would be worth it to have a shop check for leaks if you are unable to locate any.

Instructions:
Pg. 1 https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...ation/technical_service_bulletins/page_17980/
Pg. 2
https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...ation/technical_service_bulletins/page_17981/

The S80 and the XC70 should be the same for the purpose of this repair. The instructions are for an S80.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Great information, and good to know I won't have to tear it all apart!

Fortunately evaporator replacement does not require the removal of the dash on this generation. I'm not sure of the labor required, but if I remember correctly its around 2 hours book time for the job. I will attach the instructions on how to do it but there is some weirdness in the procedure. Essentially you're removing the expansion valve, glove box, the side panel on the center console, the cabin filter, and the fuse box underneath the glovebox. The evaporator itself is located directly in front of the cabin filter. You are supposed to cut the plastic door in front of the evaporator off and the lines going to it. I looked at the Volvo part number and their evaporator comes with these lines to replace the old ones. I'm not sure how they're attached to the evaporator, but if they're bolted, I don't see why you would need to cut them unless they prevent the evaporator from coming out. The lines themselves run between the evaporator and expansion valve. If you do it yourself, definitely look around under the dash to see how everything is held together before doing anything. Otherwise hopefully someone can look up to correct labor time for the job here so that you know the correct amount that should be billed. Before doing any work or paying someone make sure that the issue is with evaporator. It would be worth it to have a shop check for leaks if you are unable to locate any.

Instructions:
Pg. 1 https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...ation/technical_service_bulletins/page_17980/
Pg. 2
https://workshop-manuals.com/volvo/...ation/technical_service_bulletins/page_17981/

The S80 and the XC70 should be the same for the purpose of this repair. The instructions are for an S80.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts