SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to get this function activated since before I even took delivery of my 2005 V70R in November of 2004. I wanted to share with others this issue since it impacts many cars other than the R series.<p>As most know the afterblow function runs the evaporator fan for about 5 minutes, 50 minutes after shut down in order to remove moisture from the HVAC system. <p>Just to dispel any "misunderstandings" that may have been delivered by customers or dealers along the way This is basically a time only function, (with some exceptions I will discuss later), there are NO moisture sensing devices, such as humidistats used in any part of the system. I mention this because if a dealer starts talking about moisture detection you may want to go elsewhere. <p>There have been discussions about different degrees of feature activation. This is bogus, the feature is binary, in VIDAese, it is either "activated", or "deactivated".<p>The run time can be variable, but the system determines that. The variables are battery condition and compressor run time.<p>If the system detects too low of a battery voltage, it will reduce or even refuse to run the blower.<p>If you are in a colder environment, (Texas and Florida need not apply), and the AC has been running in a fan only mode, i.e. the compressor has not been engaged for some time, and then you shut down, than the system has already been running the fan, in effect without the moisture being generated by the evaporator coil removing the heat from the air. <p>If you have determined that you have heard the fan running some 50 minutes after shut down, you are fine, no issue.<p>The problem is you may think you have the feature activated, your dealer may think it is activated, he can connect VIDA and activate it again, and it will still not be activated. <p>I finally went a more formal complaint route due to the lack of this feature since my wife has some sensitivity to mold. Bottom line is Volvo eventually acknowledged via TNN issued Nov.1, 2005 that some cars, (note they are 2003 to 2006), pretty much across the product line, did not have the feature enabled. Of course that was only half the story, (does someone get paid by the number of TNN's they issue?). The real story came out in the same TNN 87-53 dated Nov. 21, 2005. This is where they finally admit that not only are they not enabled, VIDA cannot enable them. Worse yet VIDA gives no error code so when the tech sees "activated" he thinks he has actually activated something. <p>It appears it takes a slightly different software fix, for the various years but the "solutions" mentioned in the latest TNN are just now being delivered. <p>If you don't want to sit in your shut down car for 50 minutes to determine if the feature really works, just put a small piece of tissue at one or more of your HVAC outlets, and it should be "blown away" after 50 minutes or so. If you are a techie, you can just put a recording amp probe on your battery terminal and look for about a 10 amp draw for 5 minutes, 50 minutes after shut down. <p>Second TNN<br><A HREF="http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1132560000000_1135324800000_TNN87-53/index.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html</A><p>First TNN<br><A HREF="http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1130832000000_1132905600000_TNN87-53/index.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol....html</A><p>If you have a V8, XC-90, you need not check the function because you don't have it at all. Looks like the feature was a victim of "decontenting" and they saved a $0.29 relay, or perhaps there were too many soccer moms asking "how come my fan turns on, and won't that run down the battery".<p>Of course the new S80 has CZIP, (Clean Zone Interior Package), which is basically IAQS, (from the HVAC system perspective) but also allows you to activate the fan before entering the car, via the keyless entry.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts